Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

ODBC Win2k to mysql on e-smith

leonid

ODBC Win2k to mysql on e-smith
« on: February 11, 2001, 03:02:49 AM »
With odbc drivers downloaded from mysql site and installed on my Windows 2000 server machine, I am trying to connect to mysql database on e-smith server with mysql installed and successfully tested. However, whenever I am trying to setup dsn connection and connect using generic odbc calls, e-smith fails to recognize me giving me the following error:
"Host '192.123.0.11' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server". Any ideas on how to get it working?
Leonid

leonid

Re: ODBC Win2k to mysql on e-smith
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2001, 03:03:49 AM »
interesting

Noah

Re: ODBC Win2k to mysql on e-smith
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2001, 12:59:14 AM »
leonid wrote:
>e-smith fails to recognize me giving me the following error:
> "Host '192.123.0.11' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL
> server". Any ideas on how to get it working?

Your e-smith box is not denying you access, MySQL is.  When you try to connect to MySQL, it checks both your username and your host name/address before giving you access.  You will have to log into MySQL as the root user and Grant the appropriate permission.  For example, from within MySQL, enter the following:

GRANT ALL on database to someuser@'192.123.0.%' identified by "password";

Where "database" is the name of the database you want to access (or use "*.*" for all databases).  The % in the host address acts as a wildcard, so this allows access to "someuser" from any host starting with 192.123.0.  You should probably also Grant permission to someuser@'%.yourdomain.xxx' since sometimes a hostname is sent instead the ip address.

If you keep having difficulties, you should first checkout http://www.mysql.com/doc/P/r/Privilege_system.html.

I hope this helps.

Noah

p.s. To get into MySQL, log into your e-smith box and type in "mysql -u root".  When done, type in "exit" to return to the shell.