Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

DynDNS and domain name

Yannick

DynDNS and domain name
« on: November 25, 2001, 11:32:43 PM »
Hi,

I found a thread concerning my problem, but there were no answers for that. So I try again...

My E-smithV5 is configured with a dyndns, so it's called for instance mydomain.dyndns.org. I registered the domain mydomain.com, and I parameterize my registrar dns so that everything is forwarded to dyndns...

I set up a virtual domain on my e-smith machine for mydomain.com and I created a user account called "me" . My problem is that all mails sent to me@mydomain.com are not recognized at all !!!

Does anybody have a clue for that ?

Thanks a lot.

Yannick

Jack Wolf

Re: DynDNS and domain name
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2001, 02:59:21 AM »
This isn't exactly an answer because I had the same problem a while back and was unable to get it working correctly.  Instead, I went another route and installed dns2go.  It's a free service that works about the same way as dyndns.org

With dns2go, you will be able to bypass the need for dyndns.org's services, and mydomain.com will just resolve to your ip address.

Yannick

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2001, 12:18:05 PM »
Thanks for your reply...

Did you use dns2go the same way you used dyndns (through xxxx.dns2go.com), or did you transfer your domain name to dns2go?

In that last case, is there any fee for that?

Yannick

Ritchie Logan

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2002, 11:14:19 PM »
I had the same problem.... and thought that the dyndns fees were very good value (one off payment of $30). It means that I now do all my own hosting from my e-smith box, with e-smith doing all the updating of IP addresses to dyndns.

Ritchie