Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

20 second authentication delay

David Woolley

20 second authentication delay
« on: July 23, 2002, 02:30:22 AM »
Hi,

When I send mail from my Windows client to the smtp mail server of the SME, there is a long wait before the message is sent.  There is a similar wait each time my Windows mail client retrieves mail from the IMAP server.  I have searched these forums and found some similar threads, but I don't understand.  I think I have done the quoted fix below, but there's no improvement.  Any way, I am not using DHCP in my LAN, but have fixed ips.  There was another reply about making an entry in /etc/hosts. I've just installed the 5.1.2 update2 blade, hoping that this issue may have been resolved, but no joy.

Can anyone describe a fixe for me using less shorthand, please?  I'm quite new to the Linux  command line.

Very many thanks

David

Author: Anthony (anthonyv_AT_au1.ibm.com)
Date:   03-11-02 01:50

The fix is to stop resolv.conf being overwritten by dhcpd.

Searched the forum and found this:

# drop the external link - note therefore that you can perform the
# fix remotely using this procedure
/sbin/ifdown eth1
# Replace /etc/resolv.conf with the correct contents
/sbin/e-smith/expand-template /etc/resolv.conf
# Patch the ifup script to use the correct arguments to dhcpcd
/usr/bin/perl -i.old -pe \
's/DHCPCDARGS="-d/DHCPCDARGS="-R -d/' \
/sbin/ifup
# Now bring the external interface back up
/sbin/ifup eth1

David Woolley

Re: 20 second authentication delay
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2002, 03:01:20 AM »
Hi

I've just found Bill Talcott's post about unstealthing port 113 on my LAN, and this has fixed my local mail problem. Thanks, Bill.  

Sorry for jumping in so quick.

Thanks

David

Bill Talcott

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2002, 08:03:00 PM »
Was just going to point you there. Glad I could help. =)

I think I might write something up about ident, as this seems to keep coming up, and a lot of people have no idea what's even causing the problem...

David Woolley

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2002, 08:36:02 PM »
Hi Bill Talcott et all

I'm still looking for pointers to some information about the ident probing that e-smith does.

For example, I must open port 113 on my client router when handshaking an ftp connection into my remote e-smith server or else I must wait for a 20-30 second timeout.

I don't understand  why e-smith probes this port.  Other sites - like ftp.redhat.com - don't probe my port 113 and I am authenticated immediately.

What information is gained during the probe? Can I / Is it a good idea to disable the probing?

If I can keep port 113 on my client stealthed then I am more secure, right?

Many thanks

David