Hi folks,

Here's my  problem.

I have two (2) SME's on one network.

One (1) is a Server/Gateway
- connects to my ADSL modem.
- connects to  8 port hub.
- Ibay's, printers, etc all working great.,
- running SME 5.5

I just setup a second SME, it's configed as a Server.
- It has a local IP address
- I've created a printer
- I've create an I-Bay accessable by Everyone
- I've created a user account that matches my W2K workstation login  including the password.
- I can access the web e-smith-manager from W2K
- I can access the HTML part of the I-bay using my browser
- I cannot access the FTP part of the I-bay
- running SME 5.12

I can see the two (2) servers under Computers Near Me on W2K but
I can only access the Server/Gateway, the Server gives me a  "\Faxserver not found, the network path was not found"

Can anyone give me an idea what I'm doing wrong or what it takes to run  two or more SME's on the same local network??

I appreciate it,

Craig

Kelvin

Re: 2 SME's on one network
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2002, 04:04:21 AM »
Hi Craig,

Try this.

I'm assuming the DHCP server is the SME server acting as Server and Gateway.

On the SME server acting as Server & Gateway, go to server manager and under hostnames and addresses, add the hostname and IP address of the second SME server.

Then try again.

Kelvin

Craig Bursey

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2002, 06:12:43 AM »
Hi Kelvin,

Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck. Yes, the DHCP server is also the Server/Gateway.   I've read the manual and it sure sounds like that's what I have to do BUT  I've tried every possible combination with no success.

On this server I'm used "nfld" as the Domain and "faxserver" as the System Name. I've set this server up as a "local" with it's assigned IP but no luck.  I've even added this Servers  hostname and IP into the Server/Gateway and still no luck.

Thanks for the suggestion Kelvin, I appreciate it.  :-)

Craig

Boris

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2002, 09:42:58 AM »
Is workgroup or domain name the same on all 3 computers?
Are you login in to domain or workgroup?

Kelvin

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2002, 10:30:55 AM »
Craig,

Can you ping the netbios name of the server (ie. ping faxserver) and get a reply ?

If not, you have a WINS problem.

Can you map drives on your W2K workstation from \Faxserver via its IP address (ie. net use n: \aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd\ibayname where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the IP address of Faxserver) ?

Kelvin

Craig Bursey

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2002, 04:16:43 AM »
Hi Boris,

All three machines have the same WORKGROUP name and  I'm doing a Workgroup login.

Thanks,

Craig

Kelvin

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2002, 04:25:01 AM »
Hi Craig,

I might be wrong, but I think in Workgroup mode, the SME does not use WINS but it does in Domain Mode.

Also, if you are using workgroup mode, I assume you are mapping drives manually from the workstation. Have you tested mapping via IP address as I last suggested ? If this works, but mapping via machine name does not, then it is most likely a WINS issue. If it does not, then we look elsewhere.

Kelvin

Craig Bursey

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2002, 04:33:49 AM »
Hey Kelvin,

No I can't ping the netbios name (faxserver). I've tried adding a WINS entry with no luck. I've also added this server to the Hosts and LMhosts files on my W2K machine and no luck there.

I can't map a drive to the server using "faxserver" or the IP. It's weird because I can HTTP to an I-bay I created and I can ping the IP address of the server.  So I agree that it must have something to do with a protocol other then TCP/IP but why is it working for my Server/Gateway server and not this server??  

I don't know if this makes a difference but on my Server/Gateway I have my registered Domain setup and it uses a dynamic DNS service to keep the IP updated.  I say this because when I go to the "Hostnames and Addresses" to add "faxserver" my domain gets appended to the end of it.

As a double test I setup another Server at my office.  I can only see one of the machines in my NETWORK NEIGHBOURHOOD but I can map drives to the other machines.  

I'm going to reconfig the SERVER to be a Server/Gateway and see if that makes a difference.

As always thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Craig

Kelvin

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2002, 04:55:50 AM »
Hi Craig,

There's a number of issues here. If after adding Faxserver to your LMHOSTS file on the W2K machine and you still can't ping the netbios name of faxserver then you have a problem !

I assume you can ping the netbios name of your main server & gateway.

Can I suggest that you reconfigure your server and gateway to Domain mode ? That way, the WINS server on the server and gateway would be functional.

I am also assuming that the two servers are on the same network subnet (ie. aaa.bbb.ccc.x1 and aaa.bbb.ccc.x2) as well. If not, do tell.

Then try again. There's no reason this does not work as I do this at home all the time for testing and experimentation. :)

Kelvin

Craig Bursey

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2002, 05:22:43 AM »
Hi Kelvin,

I have a tendency to agree with you....I HAVE A PROBLEM!!  ha ha ha

I thing the best thing to do is blow the server away and try again.  

As a final test, I created a new Workgroup and put my W2K and just the Server into it.  I can see it in Network Neighbourhood but just like previous, when I try to go further........network path not found!  

That's what I'm doing too is testing and experimenting at home.  As is obvious by the name "faxserver" you don't SME running one do you?  That's my lastest idea is to get a faxserver running for the office.

Thanks for the help and I'll keep you updated after I reinstall.

Craig

P.S.  As an aside and being in Australia.  :-)  Have you ever had a need to use MRBS?  I say that because that's something else I'm trying to implement for the office.  I've found this school site in your country that has some nice changes made (logon &  register) to it and I'm having a hard time making contact with someone to see if they'll give me a copy.  the site is:   http://mrbs.ee.unsw.edu.au/    

Can't hurt to ask??  :-)   Thanks again

Charlie Brady

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2002, 07:16:16 AM »
Kelvin wrote:

> There's a number of issues here. If after adding Faxserver to
> your LMHOSTS file on the W2K machine and you still can't ping
> the netbios name of faxserver then you have a problem !

I'd be surprised if even Windows ping used netbios names rather than DNS names. Netbios names are used for WIndows file and print sharing. Most everything else uses DNS.

Charlie

Kelvin

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2002, 03:14:22 PM »
Hi Charlie,

You're technically correct. However, in *most* (not necessarily all :-)) cases, when we say netbios names, the dns name of the windows machine (the part before the ".") is usually the same. Of course, you can set them differently, but all sites I've been to so far have them set up the same (less administrative work to maintain 2 different names).

Kelvin

Craig Bursey

Got it working.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2002, 06:23:08 AM »
Hi Folks,

Just a note to let you know that I finally got to SME's on the one network and they are both accessible.   In the past I was trying to setup a Server/Gateway  and a Server but it wouldn't work.   I just so happen to be setting up a new server to replace my old one and had it setup as a Server?Gateway and out of curiousity I tried to access and to my suprise..........I COULD.   So the trick is, if you want to have have two SME's on the one Windows WorkGroup then you have to set them both up as Server/Gateway even if your are only going to use one as a Gateway.

A nice finish to a thread I think?   Thanks to everyone for their input.

Craig

Benny Andersen

Winnt 4
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2002, 05:50:03 AM »
Hi

I have just read about your experience with 2 SME I am running i ES 4.01 and want to set an NT 4 with IIS behind the ES for playing with ASP live can you give me some advise on how to set it up

Benny