Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Dynamic DNS periodic update

Huw

Dynamic DNS periodic update
« on: April 09, 2003, 09:52:36 PM »
Hi,
My 'wires only' BT ADSL service is a dynamic address one but as I use e-smith ant the server is on 24/7 the address hasn't changed yet.  This led to an e-mail from dnydns asking me to update the address otherwise it would go.  Is there a simple way to make e-smith update periodicaly even if the IP remains unchanged? Say once a month?
Huw

Bob

Re: Dynamic DNS periodic update
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 03:56:15 AM »
Well I signed up for a dyndns account tonight and created a host - theres a setting that you can tick in your host records that makes it a "static ip" - ie one that doesnt change - might be worth your while setting it to that and only change it if you reset your network connection to the internet and change IP's

Huw

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 08:06:41 AM »
Ah yes, but dyndns say the dns records will take 3 to 5 hours to propogate.  I don't want someone else getting my mail.  Mind you the chances of 'my' old IP ending up at a box with a mail server on it must be miniscule.  Would e-smith auto update a dyndns static account like it does with dynamic ip?

Huw

Bob

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 02:07:20 PM »
propogation only becomes an issue if you do change your IP on a regular basis - most of us can live with our systems being "down" for 4-5 hrs once in a while. Depends how long you have left on the 12month contract but I'd suggest you may want to look at another adsl provider that offers a fixed IP if you are using this for business / important purposes. There are a number of them out there - I myself am about to move because my 12 month deal with BT is up - many of them offer the 512k service with a fixed IP for 20ukp a month or less. Take a look at www.adslguide.org.uk for some options and reviews.

As for SME updating automatically the dyndns if you have set the address to static in their web panel - dont know but I would guess not.

Jim Little

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 06:16:18 PM »
You can force a monthly update by adding an entry to the /etc/cron.monthly directory.  Use the 0anacron file as an example.

You could use something like a file called:
/etc/cron.monthly/10updateDns
containing the line:
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event ip-change

This will cause the all the actions that get taken when your ip changes to happen although it might be overkill for what you want.  Does anyone know if there is a way to just trigger the dynamic-dns action?

Jim

Huw

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 11:13:00 AM »
Jim, (and everybody else)

Thanks, now all I have to do is wait a month!
I will let you know, if I remember.

This is one instance where windows is better, 'cos it is fairly unstable (gosh that was polite) any fix will become apparent soon.

Huw

Jim Little

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2003, 05:03:54 PM »
Huw,

I posted this from work where I didn't have access to my machine.  Further checking reveals that the ip-change event takes a parameter so you will need to query the configuration database.

Change the line I posted above to the following:

/sbin/e-smith/signal-event ip-change /sbin/e-smith/db configuration get ExternalIP

That should work.

Also to test why not put the file into your cron.hourly and then move it to cron.monthly after it has been verified?

Jim