Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Internet Test Failed

Kristian Groenevet

Internet Test Failed
« on: April 26, 2003, 06:58:30 PM »
Hi, I have searched all over this board to try find out what has gone wrong.. and I have a hunch that it revolves around Mac-adresses.. but I havent figured out what to do..

Heres the story..
I have a 3com officeconnect router wich connects this lan to the net, and hocks up with a static ip.. this router is also running the dhcp server of the network..

I however tried to deactivate the dhcp-service of the router and have the SME server do the dhcp-assignment itself.. (the server is btw behind the router, allong with the rest of the machines on the LAN).
I did this because I have read that this could possibly solve the fact that I cant connect to the server with our static ip (or the domain that has been assigned to it) INTERNALLY on the lan, but everyone OUTSIDE of our lan accesses it fine.
aaanyway.. this went kinda wrong, so I deactivated the dhcp service of the server again, and activated the same thing on the router.. and everything on the LAN was working fine again..

At least thats what Ive believed.. but I noticed that the e-mail server didnt send out emails.. and eventually did the "test internet access" procedure in the Server Console.. and it failed!

But I can still connect to the server.. both on the lan (not by externall ip or domain) and from everywhere else.. but it seems the server cannot connect with the outside world anymore..

I have tried the "configure this server" command of the server console again.. and Ive configured it just the way it was before.. but no hope..

does anybody have a clue?

Michael Smith

Re: Internet Test Failed
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2003, 01:07:52 AM »
If you're not running the SME server as a firewall/router/gateway you have to specify a gateway in the setup.  Rerun setup & keep your eye on what it's asking you ... of course the internal (LAN) IP address of the 3Com will be the gateway address.  You'll probably need your ISP's DNS servers also, unless the 3Com handles passing along DNS requests.

Kristian Groenevet

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2003, 01:15:59 AM »
I actually managed to resolve this myself now.. I had removed a few conf files from  /home/dns/var ... (as told in here; http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=16848.msg65253#msg65253
 )

then I ran a post-upgrade and stuff..

anyway.. that issue resolved itself now when I just copied the OLD conf files back (yes, I took backup for once)

But I still have a problem here.. and that is that I cannot resolve the domain names or the static external ip, here on my lan.. so if anybody have a clue how to resolve that.. please let me know..

Best Regards,
Kristian Grønevet

Bill Talcott

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 06:11:05 PM »
Kristian Groenevet wrote:
>
> But I still have a problem here.. and that is that I cannot
> resolve the domain names or the static external ip, here on
> my lan.. so if anybody have a clue how to resolve that..
> please let me know..

I assume the router has the static public IP, and forwards to the SME. Due to the way port forwarding works, you can't have it forward from the internal side, back to the internal server. It only works from the outside.

As for domain names, are you referring to private names in the SME's Hostnames panel, or all domain names? The SME's are local only, so you need to have the LAN PCs using the SME for DNS if you want to be able to access those. With most "smart routers" (which provide DHCP and all that stuff) you can't specify separate servers to use. If you can get the router to act dumb, and just give the SME's external interface the public IP, everything should work just fine. Extra stuff in the chain just causes problems...

Kristian Gronevet

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 01:04:19 AM »
I solved this issue by using a little cheat.. just using a public proxy server.. things work a little slower now.. but atleast it works.