Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Which version of SME?

JG

Which version of SME?
« on: August 08, 2003, 08:44:12 AM »
**NOTE: Identical Message posted in General Discussion Forum to maximize exposure **

We're trying to implement an SME solution for my school district that will filter web content, allow / deny access to the internet based on Novell user account, and in the future set up the server to cache the web for improved surfing. We have purchased a brand new server to host these needs, an HP 2.4GHz Xeon with 512mb ram and hardware mirroring (32GB x2). So far we have chosen SME 5.6 as the platform, but I am starting to have questions if 5.5 would be a better solution. We are going to implement Squid, Squid-Guard, and DansGuardian. So the question becomes this:

Which is better to do this on, SME 5.5 or 5.6? I would greatly welcome any and all thoughts, comments, or suggestions. Thanks!

JG

guestHH

Re: Which version of SME?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 06:44:51 PM »
Your requirement can be performed by either distro very well.

Maybe 5.6 has a bit more 'compatible' contribs, but 5.6 has ext3 next to your basic reuqirements

So i would say, 5.6. (unless you want to test 6.0Beta :-) )

Stephen Dage

Re: Which version of SME?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 05:27:26 AM »
I have had problems installing 5.6 on my software raid... I haven't tried it on hardware raid yet, but I have tried redhat 7, 8, and 9 on my desktop with hardware raid and so far I haven't succeeded.
I would say 5.5 with the updates is the way to go unless you want to wait for v 6.0

S