Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

port forwarding

greg

port forwarding
« on: January 04, 2004, 08:19:26 PM »
how do you get the rpms to the esmith server from Windows?  Thanks.  As you can tell I am new with Linux but cannot find this documentation anywhere.  I have also not had luck with SSH

jpk

Re: port forwarding
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 08:51:02 PM »
have you created any ibays - you can get a file to the server from Windows by putting it into an ibay.  If you've created ibays, have you logged on as root to the server - are you familiar with the command line in linux?  Once in an ibay, you can do the rest from the command line, but then depending what you know, you could mount the Windows folder, or load the file directly via ftp, or etc etc -- this may not be the best place to seek all the help you may need, speaking as a newbie myself.  Putty is an easy SSH client, but I use the Windows SSH client from www.ssh.com, which includes easy file transfer.

Ergin

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 03:16:24 PM »
You can transfer the files by using FTP-server which already installed on you server. Check you server-manager and make sure that it is activated. Then try to login as admin (eq root) or any other user(-s) you might have.

ryan

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 03:26:53 PM »
I use WinSCP2 which requires ssh access.  Copy files from windows to any folder on SME if you login with root access.  Very easy to use.

I also use putty to login to bash (command line).  Try typing mc at the command line.  This will run Midnight commander which is very similar to Norton Commander for DOS.  This allows easy navigation and file system administration in linux.  For example it is very easy to set/reset file permissions with mc.  

good luck,

ryan

klauseckert

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 03:57:29 AM »
there is a "plugin" (contrib) called update-system.
with that you can leave the rpm's on your windows-machine and install them via web-browser.

don't remember where i downloaded it, try a search in this forum.

cheers klaus

Nick Ramsay

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 02:52:33 PM »