Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

a nice way to chmod in ibays?

Jim Richardson

a nice way to chmod in ibays?
« on: January 31, 2001, 03:06:47 PM »
As an almost newbie on a steep learning curve (hey, I'm really a school librarian) it would be great if we could easily (GUI?) modify permissions on files & directories in i-bays: e.g when we want to enable some cgi scripts, or set up file sharing in various ways.
It could just be another set of options (checkbox or dropdown?) in the "Modify" screen for each ibay. I guess an extension of the existing ftp & http permssions is what I'm talking about. I want to get a database cgi running and it seems I'll have to do various chmod commands.....which seems to run counter to the simplicity principle the e-smith server embodies.  I'll learn some more Linux, because I want to get it up and running quickly, but maybe for others less adventurous....?

Beno

Re: a nice way to chmod in ibays?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2001, 11:37:19 AM »
you can edit

/etc/e-smith/templates/etc/proftpd.conf/05DisallowChmod

change this to true and then you can chmod you heart out using fetch  FTP or similar rather thatn telnets way.

Much Easier

Gordon Rowell

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2001, 11:47:06 AM »
Beno wrote:
>
> you can edit
>
> /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/proftpd.conf/05DisallowChmod
>
> change this to true and then you can chmod you heart out
> using fetch  FTP or similar rather thatn telnets way.
>
> Much Easier

You should not modify the template directly. Make a copy and edit that:

mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/proftpd.conf
cp /etc/e-smith/templates{,-custom}/etc/proftpd.conf/05DisallowChmod

chmod is disallowed from FTP so that the administrator must manually allow execute permissions for scripts running on the server. Allowing chmod via FTP means that all users can do this, and that is bad for system security.

And to the original question - yes, manual chmod of scripts is "not the e-smith way". In order to add this to the manager, we would need some method by which you can allow execute permissions of individual scripts as you want to do this carefully and with forethought.

Gordon

Jacob F

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2001, 11:12:30 PM »
Thanks for the advices...

I'm only using the server for my own pages, therefore am I the only one to CHMOD the files :)

/ Jacob