Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO

Offline Reinhold

• +0/-0
    • http://127.0.0.1
SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2004, 09:46:38 PM »
... I HATE this timeout business :hammer:  :-?

This is why 1/2 in here is GUESTS
 :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: :cry:  :cry:  :cry: :cry:

Anonymous

SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2004, 12:49:38 AM »
Quote from: "kmccarn"
Great Idea...

I couldn't get the iso - but I'll keep trying.

I'm about to deploy about 9 of these nationwide and this would save me a lot of work setting them up.

What happens now that official SMS6.0.1 is released ?

Can it be a 6.0.2?

haj

SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2004, 01:41:52 AM »
Quote from: "ajkeane"
Thank you for the offer to host this ISO.

Anyone wanting to download the ISO can now do so at

http://ccskavenger.lc-usa.net/SME(E-SMITH)/ISOs/6.01-Custom/

I have installed it on three different machine without any problems but as usual you choose to use this ISO at you own risk.

If you have any problems or thoughts on it please let me know.

I will look into including the other options mentioned above when I have time.

Tony

Little comments/questions:
- SME recycle bin: how often the recycle bins are erased ?
- Dialup should be install as an option
- PHP 4.3.4, Update for printer manager, Anti Virus, Sarg activation script should be installed by default no as a post install
- spamassassin should be installed but not activated
- does the Anti Virus scans ibays ans emails?
- mysql should be updated to 4 and innodb tables support activated

Can't this iso be a 6.0.2 ?

Offline ajkeane

• +0/-0
    • http://keane.co.nz
SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2004, 05:54:52 AM »
I am looking at completing further cganges to this custom ISO that would include an optional install screen for the other rpms. I am also looking at the inclusion of all of the other programs listed in previous posts.

Bear with me on this. The next release should have a lot more in it. I will look at the naming convention to try and differentiate from the current Contribs release a bit more clearly.

Tony

Leonardo

SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2004, 08:08:47 AM »
ajkeane, thank you for all the efforts. It is great. I love it. One question though, I notice that the "Test Internet Connection" disappears from the server console after I have upgraded. Where did it go, and how to bring it back?

thanks,
Leonardo

Anonymous

SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2004, 08:11:20 AM »
maybe you would include Hylafax as an option !!

Offline ajkeane

• +0/-0
    • http://keane.co.nz
SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2004, 08:31:32 AM »
The test internet connection was removed when the new look was introduced. I do not know how to get it back as an option.

Tony

Nerd

Last on the bandwagon
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2004, 09:16:48 AM »
Hi

OK I'm late into this and was wanting clarification of sothing.

Am I right in assuming that this custom ISO is based on SME 6.0 and not the 6.01 from Contribs?

Also I assume from a few comments that there will be another custom ISO in the pipeline based on 6.01?

This would be great.

I am torn now what the best thing to do is - do i get the custom disk based on 6.0 and wait for the next edition or do i get the new 6.01 and wait for the new custom disk. Choice choices...

Leonardo

SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2004, 09:34:32 AM »
my friend, linux is all about choices. This is what makes it fun and beautiful.

As I understand it, both are based on 6.0 final. The changes are minor, only few bug fixes and re-designing the look and feel of the distribution. That's all. The ISO provided by our friend Tony has more options and customized in a way that meets most of our requirements, which is good. If you want those additions, then get the custom ISO from Tony. If you want to keep with the same options as of 6.0 final, but with the new look, get the fresh ISO issued by contribs.

Good luck,
Leonardo

Anonymous

SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2004, 10:14:19 AM »
May I also suggest adding VNC and Dialin as options. Those will be great additions. Thank you again.

Anonymous

SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2004, 07:31:10 PM »
that was the dream ISO. Thank you Tony.

cranky

SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2004, 08:18:58 PM »
I am looking at completing further cganges to this custom ISO that would include an optional install screen for the other rpms. I am also looking at the inclusion of all of the other programs listed in previous posts.
[End quote]

Are the honcho's at contrib.org following this thread?  Based on the interest shown here, perhaps making this 'optional install screen' for custom rpms should be a STANDARD feature of the SME install!?  I'm sure lots of people would like to have a custom script where their favorite options can be added to system.  Particularly ones pretested and configured for the specific iso image!

Perhaps contribs.org could raise money by providing access to this 'custom' ISO for maybe $20.00/$25.00 to offset the work involved (keeping the base iso free).  Perhaps the individuals that have contributed TESTED and UPDATED contributions would like to have their work included in this "lazy admin's" iso.  Perhaps a revenue sharing formula could be derived to induce contributors to participate in this iso project by splitting half of the $20.00/$25.00 contribution amoung all of the individual contributors (the other half going to contribs.org).

Such a system could conceivably:
1 - Raise money for the contribs.org project to fund base iso development and maintenance.
2 - Keep the distro free for those willing to install the add-on's themselves
3 - Compensate the contributors with a token payment for the add-on's that they contribute.
4 - Ensure that the available add-on's are up-to-date and tested with each new iso release or they don't get included on the iso.
5 - Increase participation in the SME project overall!

Just my 2 cents worth...  If you don't like the ideas, don't flame - just ignore.  If you do like the idea - speak up with your own thoughts!

haj

SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2004, 03:48:00 AM »
I am also looking at the inclusion of all of the other programs listed in previous posts.

Just use the Darell May yum contrib! It can be a yum repository on the cdrom or on the SME itself...

Anonymous

SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2004, 04:04:36 AM »
The test internet connection was removed when the new look was introduced. I do not know how to get it back as an option.

Tony

I believe it would have been removed due to the fact that it contacted Mitel to confirm internet access. It is quite easy to put it back by replacing the particular file involved when creating the iso. It's a feature that I used often and would have thought that it would have been preferable to modify it to contact a different server (contribs.org perhaps?) rather than remove it entirely.

Stuart

SME 6.0.1-01 Custom ISO
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2004, 11:19:15 AM »
I downloaded this iso. It worked great. My only regret is that the new look does not have a Test Internet Access line any more.:hammer:
Thanks for doing this much improved iso

Stuart :pint: