Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

How-To Add WinXP SP2 to domain on SME 6.01

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
    • http://contribs.org
« on: July 08, 2005, 02:08:47 AM »
Today I had to join a Windows XP to an SME Domain, after searching and searching I couldn't make it join the domain.
Kept saying that the domain was not found, this is right at the end of the wizard.
This is how I managed to make it happen:
After applying the registry keys provided (the ones that change the security settings)on the resources folder, next:
1- Add NETBIOS protocol to the card that will be making the connection.
2- Right-click "My Computer" > Properties > Network ID > Properties > More > Check use DNS sufix and add your domain to it (name and not IP).
3- Reboot the machine
4- Join the Domain as usual

Offline smeghead

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 05:08:19 AM »
.. you can prob avoid the addition of the Netbios protocol by forcing Netbios over TCP/IP to always in the Advanced section.

HTH

ryan

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 08:17:26 AM »
There are many past discussions on this.

Make sure your running the registry file from the SME server and doing all the security changes in group policy (gpedit.msc).  

I found it best to create a root smbuser with the same password as sme root account.  Add to domain using the root account.  I also found it best to name the PC with the desired hostname in workgroup=workgroup first, then change to domain from workgroup leaving the host name alone.  

ryan

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
    • http://contribs.org
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 02:42:11 PM »
ryan,
I posted this exactly for the reason you're proposing.
In WinXP SP2 doing what you mentioned is useless if the netbios protocol isn't installed. And by default it isn't.
Or following smeghead easier way of doing it, which is forcing it over TCP/IP.
Thanks,