Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Hardware Compatibility List

Offline Brave Dave

• +0/-0
« on: April 18, 2004, 01:59:49 AM »
Where;

1. A hardware Item could be identified
2. A registered Member could Vote once only on any hardware Item, and perhaps offer a comment

This would deliver a result like

ASUS P4SMX = 100% compatible/ 0% incompatible
MSI DVD-RW = 0% compatible/ 100% incompatible
.:DB:.

bobk

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 02:40:43 AM »
SME is hardware compatable with RedHat (SME 6.x = RedHat 7.3) Check out the RedHat Hardware Compatibility page.

Offline Brave Dave

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 09:30:53 AM »
Yes: I can't find a compatible DVD there.

I am just thinking of my recent issue

I always use ASUS gear if I can, but the ASUS DVD+/- R/W went into short supply - so I substituted that with an MSI - no good ..

This stuff is moving faster that redhat's list

wlu_lax6

Richest Franchise in Sport
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 02:09:13 PM »
Topics containing links to people's sites are unneeded and contribute nothing as a whole, much like topics containing content like this one. You could have PMed a moderator and asked this same question and received the same http://www.buy-graphics.narod.ru/ response. Please do so in the future.

RonM

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 10:31:02 PM »
???  Hardware compatability is a key question, both for new users and consultants. It was always somewhat shortchanged by eSmith and Mitel (not that I blame them). I'm not sure we can do something worthwhile about it - I think it would have to be more than just a flat list, and constantly updated - but it's certainly worth discussing.

RonM

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 10:33:36 PM »
oh... Forum spam. They never quit, do they?:-) Sorry...

RonM

HCL
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 05:28:26 AM »
I got a wild hair and decided to embed the Red Hat HCL in one of our wiki pages, and add some search tips.

http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/SME%20HCL

I would greatly appreciate any help or feedback here - with the right advice, it could be a big help for users, especially newcomers.

Maybe link in a flat list of troublesome devices? Any ideas, rework, etc. welcome.

RonM

Offline Brave Dave

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 03:25:20 PM »
I think just a forum (thingy) world work;

The classic problem I have is;
I use brand;
X motherboard;
Brand Y DVD

but today, brand Y DVD is not available, but the supplier always has a better one - or at least just as good; the DVD ASUS/MSI example above is literal; but until you fork the dollars and the time you know nothing;

I use the DVD for backups, effectively giving me a 4.7gb medium, with tar and gzip, conceivably somewhere between 14gb and 20Gb of data; ASUS are magic, very good from version 5.6 up (5.5 kernel no good); MSI are no good;

but this might be just me - maybe the MSI just needed something that I don't have, it would be good to be able to thread;
+ DVD's
   +--- ASUS
   +--- MSI

Offline satovey

• +0/-0
    • Yevotas Ministry Network
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 02:26:20 AM »
Quote from: "RonM"
???  Hardware compatability is a key question, both for new users and consultants. It was always somewhat shortchanged by eSmith and Mitel (not that I blame them). I'm not sure we can do something worthwhile about it - I think it would have to be more than just a flat list, and constantly updated - but it's certainly worth discussing.

Most of the hardware compatability issues would be resolved if we move to the 2.6 kernel. It's more efficient and works with most devices. So the net efficiency should be on the + side even though the kernel is a bit larger.

I done an install of Mandrake 10.1 wich contains the kernel. Talk about smooth. While in KDE 3.1 I thought
it was as smooth as win98. All the previouse versions of Mandrake I tried were sluggish on my machine, so I have yet to cross over to a full linux desktop sollution.

The 2.6 kernel is the way to go on the hardware compatability issue.
Scott A Tovey

Offline hkgonra

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 11:07:19 PM »
Looks like the Hardware list has moved.
The only options I see are these
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Certified Hardware Systems
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Certified Hardware Systems
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 Certified Hardware Systems

Nothing for RedHat 7.3.

RonM

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 11:24:21 PM »
The page linked to here:
http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/SME%20HCL

still has the Red Hat 7.3 in the Release drop-down list.

Since it's no longer supported, of course it may go away at any time.

kiruxadmin

Hardware Compatibilty
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 04:48:35 AM »
... .........