Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

WANTED: Team leaders & members

guest22

« on: August 25, 2004, 09:04:04 PM »
Hi all,

In preperation of new updates/releases we are looking for Team Leaders and Team members for the following teams:

- Template Team (maintaining/adjusting the 'e-smith' template system)
- Security Team (Take care of ALL security related matters)
- Doc Team (Providing docs and maintaining/correcting the wiki)
- Bug Team (Take care of bugs and coordinate updates based on these bugs)
- Release Team (Coordinate updates - roadmap - features)
- Update Team (Prepare/keep track of updates based upon all components)

Next to the above teams, we are looking for individuals who are willing to support the above teams (yes, you can be member of multiple teams) by means of specialty e.g. Perl, PHP, Linux general and other specialties (e.g. samba, cups, qmail etc)

The goal is to get organised in a short period of time, so make sure you are able to dedicate skills and time for a decsent period of time.

Team Requirements:
- Extensive usage of the wiki as central documentation centre
- Extensive usage of the bug tracker
- Virtual Team Leaders at least once a month
- A few hours a week and dedication

What contribs.org can offer:
- The wiki
- The bug tracker
- The forums
- VoIP communication between Teams and Team members
- General coordination
- Making updates and releases available

Please respond to this thread ONLY if you are serious about dedicate your skills and time to this request. Other remarks can be posted to the 'general remarks to teams request' above this post.

We all know for a fact that more than 180 people have pointed out that they would be willing to work on this, now it's the time to 'put your money where your mouth is' ;-)

Please respond in the following way:

1. I apply for 'team member / team leader' for the ... team.
2. I can dedicate ..... hours a week
3. I have the following skills ....
4. Leader or member...

We could choose for a mailing list or private mail, but as requested by many in the past is should be 'open'.

Thanks very much for your kind response!

contribs.org

ps. the difference between a 'member' and a 'leader' is that a leader is a 'member' and next to that coordinates stuff with other leaders. Noting more, nothing less...

Offline MasterSleepy

• +0/-0
    • http://www.vanhees.cc
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 09:51:29 PM »
Hello,

If I can help you with something just ask what you want and I will make my best to finish the work.

I can program little perl, more PHP.
I can test installation of add-on, write howto.

As I'm a new father from 1 month now, I don't have to much time to give you but I think that I can give about 5-10 hours/week.

Regards.

Offline cjensen

• +0/-0
    • http://acenet-tech.org
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 09:54:33 PM »
I can dedicate some time each week.  I do have experience in rpm creation, ISO, and templating, and docteam (user-manual).

Craig Jensen

I would have liked to have finished work on the user-manual using the source of 5.1.2.  However, that was never made available.  Bob King has completed a re-write (as Hsing likely already knows) of the html.

lee

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 10:06:43 PM »
Hi Hsing,

1. Team member for Template Team
2. I can do 4 hours a week
3. 10 years Unix/Linux, Perl, C, a couple of years looking after e-smith/SME servers, a lot of database work.

Lee.

Michiel

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 10:52:06 PM »
Hi RequestedDeletion,

1/ Team member Bug or Update team
2/ Perl and Linux sys admin experience
3/ 4-6 hours a week

regards,
Michiel Blotwijk

webster

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 11:08:58 PM »
1. I'm happy to help out in what ever way, where ever I can (anywhere where you see fit!).
2. the time i can offer may fluctuate from week to week... but I always try to do what ever it takes to get the job done.
3. I'm a Web-Designer, Php/Mysql Programmer and Graphic Designer. I Also do a lot of Systems Analasys and work in many other areas of computing (networking, wireless... and more). I've been working with esmith for around 3-4 years & I've made a few little template fixes from time to time.
I'm happy to do any web or graphic design, php/mysql, java script, Analasys, fixes and general dogs body work where/when ever I can help.
4. Leader or member doesnt worry me

Kind Regards,
T

haj

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 12:02:00 AM »
1. I apply for team member for the Update team.
2. I can dedicate 5 hours a week
3. I have the following skills advanced PHP/MySQL developpement, little perl, linux, french spoken ;)

I'll be happy to maintain PHP packages up to date. I'll also be very happy to traduce any SME intzerface RPM to french.

Well seems like I am a happy guy ;)

RonM

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 02:36:05 AM »
Thanks for doing this, HF!  :hammer:

Doc Team
Security Team - I'd like to try my hand at packaging updates.

5 hrs/week

Leader or member

RonM

Muzo

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 08:51:56 AM »
Hi,

Is there a earthquake somewhere? Or everybodies back from vacactions? :roll:

Seriously :
- Doc team (french translation?)
- Skills : PERL (beginner, create some SME panels), proFTPd, Apache (beginner), Iptables (beginner).
- i can dedicate 3 hours a week (perhaps more, but i have too much things to do)

Member.

P.S.: Are mail send to volunteers@contribs.org going to a warp-hole? Because i send 2 mails few month ago, and still have no response. Is this mail adress A JOKE?? :evil:

/Muzo-a-little-bit-bored

gocdo

security/doc and testing
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 01:25:43 PM »
I am able to put in some time in

security
doco
testing

Have improved the overall security on many sme servers, but not with panels etc, able to help build this a bit better.

Kevin

tenanji

Template and Bug Team
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 03:54:52 PM »
Hello,

Team Lead/Member no preference for the Template and Bug Team.  Or any team that my skills are needed.  I love to be a code monkey as well as enjoy heaving design/standards discussions.

I have the following skills:
   perl
   php
   java
   javascript
   html
   mysql
   graphics (GIMP of course :-D )
   Web Design

I have been using linux (redhat/SUSE) for several years and have recently been introduced to SME Server.

I am able to contribute 5-10 hours a week.

Offline psc

• +0/-0
Re: WANTED: Team leaders & members
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 04:07:11 PM »
Hi,

yes, i want to help !
Where ?

You should explain the teams, i think "Template Team" and "Bug Team".

3 - 5 hrs/week

Leader or member

Peter
First, solve the problem. Then, write the code.

calvin

Leader ou membet team
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 04:11:47 PM »
- I can dedicated 10 hours a week,
- Doc team (Translation to portuguese, revisions )
- Can implement a portuguese Forum, and Docs using drupal blog (suggestion)

Thanks,

pbearne

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 04:11:52 PM »
1. I apply for team member for the Horde/css.
2. I can dedicate 2+ hours a week
3. I have the following skills web programer html/css/jarvarscipt/Might beable to help with control pannels
4. Leader or member as required

guest22

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 05:40:11 PM »
Short description added to the initial post.

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline dickmorrell

• +0/-0
    • http://www.dickmorrell.com
Happy to help
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 05:47:22 PM »
Happy to help in a Security function. My background is former VP of Network Security at Bechtel, Linuxcare, VA Linux, co author and founder of SmoothWall through birth and four years of growth to be largest Linux security project in the OpenSource space. Now Head of Internet Security at Europe's largest ISP responsible for 6m users.

Also contribute security fixes and contributions to four other projects.

Offline elorenz

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2004, 10:58:25 PM »
Hi all,
I would like to candidate for the Docs team, member or leader.
I write in spanish, english and german well enough and have 2 years experience with SME as installer, admin, maintainer and part time web page designer.
Regards

brainball

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2004, 11:07:33 PM »
1) i'd like to eather help with the template team or update team. Just as a member though
2)I can dedicate about 4/5 hours a week
3)I have experience with C, C++, java and some assembly
(Most experience is with C and embedded systems typically 8 or 16bit with small rom sizes on avarage 8-64Kbytes). I have worked with linux for about 2 years in which I went through mandrake, suse, redhat and ending up with debian.
I never really worked on a linux project allthough I do betatest for winex and couple of small projects.
4) definately a member

mbachmann

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2004, 09:04:14 AM »
1. I apply for team member update and doc team.
2. I can dedicate 3-5 hours a week
3. I have the following skills: solid knowledge of networking, hardware, OS (OS/2, Win, Linux), all kind programs+tools, script languages, little programming skills, fluent English (i guess), German.

I suggest a rotation scheme for team leaders.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Happy to help
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2004, 05:48:47 AM »
Quote from: "dickmorrell"
Happy to help in a Security function.

Good to see you have been doing so well, Dick. Great that you're happy to help.

One cool thing you could do would be to contribute the source code to all those fixes and improvements you were talking about on your blog.

Offline Mjohnson

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2004, 01:09:20 AM »
I would be happy to assist with the Doc team.  i have excellent organizational skills and network administration experience, though no coding experience.

4 or so hours per week is easily accomodated.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

guest22

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2004, 12:38:38 AM »
Hi again all,

Very nice to see that you are willing to dedicate time and effort to this project. It's much appreciated!!

We will let this request 'stay' for a little bit so others will have the opportunity to 'pitch in' whatever they can ;-)

Eventually we will setup wiki pages for each team with sub-sections to get things rollin'

We urge ALL who have not yet responded to think about their own skills and willingness to get involved. We really could use some help on this great project and everyone is welcomed to start working on it.

Don't be shy or afraid, join the project, have fun and make new friends!

Thanks again for your considerations!!

on behalf of contribs.org
RequestedDeletion

davidk

Team Member
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2004, 01:37:15 AM »
Hi Everyone.  This is my first post.  I admire the contribs sme server very much.  I would like to contribute to the success of this project.

David

1. I would like to apply as team member for the Bug and/or Update team.
2. I can dedicate 4 hours a week.
3. I have the following skills:
   Strong Linux admin skills.
   Good perl skills.
   Good problem solving (bug solving) skills
   Good RPM management skills
4. I would be a member for now.

cranky

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2004, 05:35:06 AM »
Hi all!

I'd be happy to pitch in.  I've been using SME since 5.5.  I'll work on the documentation as leader/member as you desire.  I should avg 3-4 hrs/wk.  I also develop doc's for the egroupware project.

A project mgmt add-in for xoops would be very helpful as we could then chart/organize tasks and monitor progress accordingly.

PS - why not post this initiative in the news?

BitNix

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2004, 11:36:10 PM »
I would be happy to assist in the SME development.
SME needs some streamlining to be able to stand the competition (Just look at what is comming in Clark Connect 3.0)

But - SME is too good a product just to die at the top of success.

I hope we all can find a way to bring SME onwards from the RH7.3 basis - not just for a new version, but to be able to bennefit from the rest of the Open Source world, updates and security enhancements.

SME is probably never gonna be a streamline product, but SME does what is do well - and in a way that matters for me:

with security in focus.

1. I apply for team member for the Security Team.
2. I can dedicate 4-8 hours a week (and more if needed - in areas that interest me ;-)
3. I have the following skills: working with pc software development and server solutions for the last +20 years - both as a programmer and teamleader. Has been especially interested in security hardening for the last 5 years. Has been running (on private basis) on SME since 5.1 (and RH/BSD/SUSE among others) - latest 6.01 has been smoothly upgraded since 5.1. Has currently +4 SME 6.01 servers running in a private test project - is able to perform verification of security as well as penetration tests.
4. Just as a member/tester - too mutch to do as a leader ;-) (and others would probably be happy to be a leader)...

Best regards
Anders - Denmark

lancew

I'll Help!
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2004, 10:05:14 AM »
1. I apply for team member for the documentation team.
3. I have the following skills Small Perl, lots of documentation experience. (Mainly user level)

Offline Teviot

• +0/-0
RE: WANTED: Team leaders & members
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2004, 05:42:15 PM »
I am willing to help.  The problem is, I don't know much about linux and therefore I feel that I would be best suited to testing.  But will have a go!
Regards
M0GLJ
I am new to SAIL SME Server v8b6 and have been using SME for many years.
I have already done some research and only ask questions if I still can't work it out.

chriskearns

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2004, 02:22:36 PM »
1. I'd like to work on the Update team.
 2. I can dedicate 4 hours a week
 3. I have worked with Samba, qmail, apache, clamav packages
 4. 10 years experience with Linux and OSS, with skills in system admin, C and Java programming.
 5. Particularly interested in replacing Small Business Server with SME Server.

kkolle

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2004, 08:40:21 PM »
Quote from: "guest22"
Hi all,

1. I apply for 'team member / team leader' for the ... team.
2. I can dedicate ..... hours a week
3. I have the following skills ....
4. Leader or member...

1. I apply for team leader or team member for the Template Team.
2. I can dedicate 2-10 hours a week depending on my other tasks
3. Software Engineer (B. Sc. E.E 1987) , Director of a small consultant company, Initiator of the EUDP development process (www.eudp.net), C++ and, I am afraid, no Perl experience but willing to learn. Unix and Linux development since 1988.
4. Leader/coordinator/developer

If my skills can be used in other teams I am ready for what ever comes up.

shanen

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2004, 02:38:28 AM »
I can make myself available for 5 hrs per week building test boxes and posting results or whatever is required...

Shane

Offline chris burnat

• +2/-0
    • http://www.burnat.com
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2004, 03:17:41 AM »
I can test/report using a spare box and test domain + MX record.  Say 5 hours/week, sometimes more depending of what is required.
chris.
- chris
If it does not work out of the box, please fill in a Bug Report @ Bugzilla (http://bugs.contribs.org)  - check: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help .  Thanks.

ethyl

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2004, 02:28:30 PM »
Hi
1) I apply as a Doc/translate team member
2) I can dedicate 3 hours a week
3) I have 4 years experince in linux administration  and translation (italian)
4) member

Offline TrevorB

• +0/-0
    • http://www.batley.id.au
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2004, 03:13:17 PM »
1) Templates and testing
2) 4 hours per week
3) php, perl & e-smith templating
4) member

Currently spending a lot of time on the Thinstation project, but am keen to see smeserver survive, and move on. :-)

dpcritchley

Experienced Open Source Developer
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2004, 05:26:06 PM »
Hello, let me introduce myself; My name is Darren Critchley and I live in British Columbia Canada.
I have been developing software for 20 years now, and have ran many projects from start to finish, both large and small.

Over two years ago I discovered the open source movement (yes some of us did come to the party late) and got involved. I have previous experience working on the Ipcop firewall project (www.ipcop.org), I have been involved with that project for the past two years the largest contribution was the port forwarding page in 1.3/1.4, but code contribution has slowed down in the last while.

I can code in Assembly, basic, bash/shell, C (limited), Synon, RPG, Perl, PHP, Visual Basic and a pile of others I have forgotten. I have worked with a multitude of proprietary databases and have worked minimally with MySQL.

I maintain a commercial firewall distribution on linux as my primary means of employment. I am readily available by VOIP as I have a CISCO ATA 186 VOIP box.

I am available up to 10 hours per week and additionally I have asked my boss to donate another 5 hours of my time per week.
I am available for pretty much any position (worker bee or coordinator bee) as long as I am developing and adding new things, etc.
I have been using SME for about 9 months and was impressed with the change from 5 to 6 and would like to see things go further and improved. I would like to apply what I have learned on other open source projects, etc. I am quite experienced at taking other open source code and building GUI's around them to fit into a particular project.

So I will let those of you in charge decide where and if there is a need for me on the project, you can contact me at darrenc ( a t ) telus ( d o t ) net.

Thanks
Darren Critchley

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2004, 07:47:11 PM »
Darren,
as far as I can see, the main problem is that nobody want to be in charge and take responsibility.
If you feel confident in your abilities, please nominate yourself as a leader of one of the proposed development group, start on the projects and people will join in and support it.
Boris.

dpcritchley

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2004, 07:59:15 PM »
Quote from: "Boris"
Darren,
as far as I can see, the main problem is that nobody want to be in charge and take responsibility.
If you feel confident in your abilities, please nominate yourself as a leader of one of the proposed development group, start on the projects and people will join in and support it.
Boris.

Well I'll let you decide, I could work on any of the following as a Team Leader:
Release Team
Update Team
Template Team
Security Team

My emphasis would be on something where I am working on new features and improving the product. I already use it and there are some areas where I would like to improve it. I don't quite see which of those Teams would be suitable. Please clarify for me.

Thanks
Darren

Offline wellsi

• +0/-0
    • http://www.wellsi.com
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2004, 07:59:40 PM »
(back from hols - nice to see the acitivity)

1. Doc + Whatever requires testing, eg Security, Updates and Release Teams
2. I can dedicate 3-5 hours a week. Sometimes much more.
3. I have the following skills Testing, Documentation, PHP, MySQL, Perl etc
4. member

I believe that it is best for me to dedicate my time to testing and documentation rather than coding - others will always be better, but I could patch RPMs if required.

Does it make sense to have a TEST team containing people willing to test RPMs and releases generated by any of the other teams?

Offline ngomes

• +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2004, 08:03:53 PM »
Hi all,

I' ve been with a lot of work lately (training, paperwork, huge implementation...). Any way, here is my 2 cents:

1. Team member for the Doc Team (Fluent in Portuguese and English) and for the Release Team. Since my network background and professional comes from the M$ world, I can test on 2 machines some features regarding the integration between a SME Server and a Windows Server/Small Business Server 2000/2003 on the same network (ldap, samba, active directory, dns/bind, wins, etc).
2. I can dedicate 4 to 6 hours/week.
3. Basic knowhow on Linux/SME Server (studying everytime), MCSE on Windows Server 2000 (some guys come from the dark side...), network administration and troubleshotting of Windows Servers (since 2000) and SME Servers (since 2001). Poor programming skills (the basics just to understand and do some troubleshotting).
4. Member.

Regards,
Nuno Gomes
Portugal
Nuno Rafael Gomes
Learning everyday from everyday problems...

dpcritchley

Re: Team Member
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2004, 08:09:11 PM »
Quote from: "davidk"
Hi Everyone.  This is my first post.  I admire the contribs sme server very much.  I would like to contribute to the success of this project.

Hey David if you are still following this thread, drop me a note - where in Western Canada are you?

I'm in Vernon, coding away in the Linux environment.

Darren

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2004, 08:15:16 PM »
Quote from: "dpcritchley"
Well I'll let you decide ....

That was exactly my point.
I am not the decision maker either and not planning on become one.

dpcritchley

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2004, 08:23:56 PM »
Quote from: "Boris"
Quote from: "dpcritchley"
Well I'll let you decide ....

That was exactly my point.
I am not the decision maker either and not planning on become one.

Well who is in charge then?
I have seen several posts from you over the last few months about the state of things.
Someone has to take charge. Someone set out the four Teams, and probably knows which one I would be most suited for.
And no, I have no interest in being the Project Admin, I will admin a team and be responsible and code on the project.

Could you please post more information about the state of things?

Thanks
Darren

guest22

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2004, 01:03:31 AM »
Hi all,

Let get some things clear here...

- To get things started on the teams, contribs.org is in charge.
- Once the teams are in place, the teams are in charge of their area of expertise
- Contribs.org will always coordinate official final releases or updates.
- Contribs.org is YOU!!!! that's why we called upon you.
- Everybody is welcomed to speak up.

1 line only: "Just do it!"

You all will benefit, get credit, enjoy AND most importent HAVE FUN!!! This is just a starting point, and as time/ideas/efforts/commitment progresses contribs.org will try to adapt to it.

Join the revolution!

;-)

Offline RvLardin

• +0/-0
    • http://sme.firewall-services.com
Count me in !
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2004, 05:53:10 PM »
Sorry for the late discovering of the topic but I didn't come here for a while.

So, OK to build up next step staff & teams, I'm in.
Very, *very* happy to to know that the work of Shad Lords (SME7.0) is not lost for the community, also.

I'm working everyday with e-smith (sorry : SME) that I install by my customers and then administrate. That's my main job.
So I can say that I know what the small enterprises are waiting for and ... what tools are needed by the admins.
 :-)

I'll be very happy to contribute in the 'security' team, since I already spend about half an hour every day looking for security informations applied to SME (e-smith ?  :-D ).
I will be glad to work with Dick in this team.

I could also help in the 'release team', testing contributions (I already test a lot) and electing the stuff to integrate in the next release.

I'm not so good in coding, but I can read other's job and I have quite a good vision of what will appear in the next years in our domains. That could help, also.

Thanks a lot for this re-birth of the project.

Au revoir,
;-)
RV.
[RvLardin (at) Firewall-Services (dot) com]
----
"Those who are willing to lose some of their essential liberties in favour of security deserve neither and will lose both."
- Thomas Jefferson .

guiguid

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2004, 07:13:40 PM »
Hi, very happy by that news !

I've sevral SME installed by my customer, so I'm able to do the following :

- 3 hours a week, perhaps more
- Security Team (only Iptables )
- Doc team (english to french translation)
- Release Team (Feature request by customers, Testing on differents networks)
- Member only

Regards,

Guillaume

ciccio

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2004, 01:29:03 PM »
Hi all,

I am Fabio Corneti, a professional consultant/developer really interested in SME Server

I'd like to become a Team Member of the Doc Team (to improve existing documentation and translate it in Italian language)
I can dedicate a minimum of 8 hours a week.
I can support other teams if necessary; I can code well in PHP, Java and Python and I know very well bash scripting.
I can support other teams by creating RPMs or testing integration within an etherogeneus LAN (I have a LAN with different distributions and Windows versions).

wallyrp

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2004, 04:19:16 AM »
Good Evening,

Just popping in here, good to see something is happening. My schedule went to hell in a hand basket after July 12. I haven't had a spare moment to breathe much less spend time with my five kids.

I'm not a programmer by any means. I know enough about Linux to probably be dangerous. Here's what I can provide, write, proofread, and finalize documents before publishing. I'm the type of person that types a letter and mails out the letter three days later after extensive proofreading and correction.

If someone can provide a rough draft, I can clean it up and put it with a template grammatically correct. The amount of time that I have still heavily depends on my schedule. If an amount of time is needed, then let's look at a bare minimmum of one hour per week.

ejfowler

Application
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2004, 06:35:50 AM »
Hi,

I've been a happy SOHO user of SME server for 2 years, and a Linux hobbyist for 4 or so. I believe I've finally achieved enough skill to contribute in a worthwhile fashion, but I'm no developer. I'm good with system administration, packaging and testing. I follow instructions well, and can dedicate 5-10 hours a week as a member of one or more of the security, release and update teams.

I also have a couple of smp boxes to use test or build rigs. They have to remain here. I have DSL, and thus limited outbound bandwidth, but I'm willing to set up shell access for other team members. Data storage and backup are no problem.  

One minor wrinkle... I work as an electrical systems SME for a major telecom provider. I'm on a disaster recovery team with national scope.  Although rare, I've been called out at a moments notice and engaged for 2-3 weeks at a time. The last time this happened was when hurricane Isabel flooded Baltimore. If I'm called out, all other pursuits are put on hold. I hope this doesn't limit my chances of being a team member. I'm looking forward to giving something back to the Linux community, and can't think of a better place to start than with contribs.org.

Eric

Offline girkers

• +0/-0
    • gk computer services
Help you I wil
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2004, 12:29:29 PM »
I have the following skills in:
* doc writing (Manuals/How Tos)
* Javascript, HTML, CSS
* Test Stuff

I'm not a programmers asshole, but I have many skills in many areas and am always willing to learn.  This is a great product and you can't beat the price.  If I help with just one thing I would feel I would have achieved something.

I would be able to dedicate approximately 4 hours a week depending on workloads at home.

Offline genzil

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tuxx.org.uk
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2004, 05:01:01 PM »
Hi,

I would like to help on the Release and Update team, I can provide a few hours of time each week with larger chunks at various points during the year.

Thanks

Craig
Smile :-)......

SharedMedia

Sure..
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2004, 12:53:40 AM »
:lol: Count Me In!

jessihash

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2004, 09:00:23 AM »
Hello,

I installed SME 6.01 a few months ago, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm not a programmer, but I have some experience working with Linux and I can spend time (say 4 hours a week) testing the new version on a dedicated hardware. I can also help with French translation or correction.

Tell me if I can give you some help

(Sorry for my bad English)  :-D

Thanks
Jessihash

Offline kmccarn

• +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2004, 01:26:42 PM »
1. I apply for 'team member / team leader' for the UPDATE team.
2. I can dedicate 2 hours a week
3. I have the following skills - persistence and dedication. And lots of spare hardware for test beds.
4. Leader or member (either)

:-o
Kevin in WV 8-)......

plog

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2004, 05:18:15 PM »
1. I apply for 'team member' : support in any way I can
3. I have the following skills :
   pretty good skills in PHP, Apache, Mysql, Subversion.
   (programming & config).

I'm ok with shell, Perl beginer.
   Speak english like a spanish cow.
4. member...

I can translate docs in French, setup tests
environnements, debug them, look for updates, use
my 512Ko cable line (fixed IP) to host stuff.

What else...

Patrick LOGÉ (Vox Teneo)

dzeanah

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2004, 08:06:16 AM »
New here, but have used e-smith/SME Server off and on for a few years now.  I'd love to see the project grow and succeed - I'd rather have clients pay me to set this up than build my own system to sell (my plan when coming back from vacation, though that was going to be FreeBSD based...)

I'm self-employed, so time commitments vary, but here's my best estimate:

1. Put me on the documentation/forum/advocacy team.  
2. I can dedicate 5-15 hours a week
3. I have the following skills: am in touch with the project's main user base (small- to medium-sized businesses looking for a simple, maintainable, all-in-one solution) daily; can write with some proficiency; am very comfortable with unix environments.  For the rest, please ask -- I'm more versatile than most, though some skills (like programming in a formal language) are rusty.  If'n ya need help in a particular area, I'll be happy to bring myself up to speed and do what I can.
4. Leader or member...

strawb

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2004, 04:34:47 PM »
I apply for 'team member / team leader' for the Security team.
I can dedicate 4 - 10 hours a week

I have the following skills in:
more then 20 years experience with unix.
expert in database, c++, java

Leader or member of Security, Release or Update

donaldrb

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2004, 10:21:01 PM »
I'd like to see this project succeed and I'd like to assist in any way I can.

1) My background is in the training, training development and documentation arena, so that's probably where my strength can be leveraged with respect to this project.

While I have programming experience (Assembler and Pascal, Forth), it's nothing particularly recent.  

I do have some limited experience with Unix & linux and am looking to improve my fluency.  I've been using SME for a few years, but I've just started getting into playing with the linux OS faily recently.

2) 5 Hours/week
3) Documentation, Training Development, Bug Reporting
4) Member

Offline steve

• +0/-0
Join as team member....
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2004, 01:47:17 AM »
I would like to provide help as a team member several hours per week.

I have used SME since the e-smith 4.0 days. I was an e-smith reseller for a short while before the Mitel move.

Documenttation
    Bug resolution
    Testing
    Junior coder .i.e. take direction from seasoned coder
    Team member for now
    Administration
Steve Lewis
Little Rock, Arkansas, U.S.A.............

gla

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2004, 11:02:16 AM »
Hello,

I would like to provide help as team manager
I'm the founder and the leader of the french project SMERP.
This project based on SME wants to provide a distribution more dedicated to SMB
I work with SME since 3 years
I'm IT consultant and project manager
I have an experience of 15 years in Unix / Linux
I have good knowledge in SQL databases, web technologies (Apache, PHP), security and development (PERL, C, ...)
I can translate or write documentations

I can work in any team and I can dedicate 8 to 10 hours a week to this project

Penguinista

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2004, 10:47:57 PM »
If volunteers are still being accepted (will Lycoris continue to work with the existing community?).

I will volunteer for the Documentation team, as a member or leader.
I can dedicate at least 10 hours a week, more if needed.
My strengths and skills are in documentation and project management (which is what I currently do). I know a little perl -- just enough to be dangerous.
I am willing to operate in either member or leader role.

Penguinista

allanwright

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2004, 11:07:34 PM »
Was thinking of volunteering on following basis,
1. Team member/team leader either release or update
2. I can dedicate 5+ hrs per week
3. I have some 30 years, experience, variety of languages, some Perl, more PHP, some Unix/Linux, extensive database/SQL including Mysql and Postgres, some product development, considerable project planning, release manegement and managerial experience, SME 5.1.2 onwards
4. Leader or member
But what changes does the Lycoris involvement make?

tenanji

With the Lycoris Move is this still underway
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2004, 04:15:14 PM »
I am hoping that hwfang can shed some light on progress with this since the announcement with Lycoris.  

Are these teams still be created?  When will they be put  to task and what work is needed to achieve the next release of SME.

Waiting with excitment

guest22

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2004, 07:04:00 AM »
Hi,

Sorry for my late reaction. Yes, your work/time/skill donation is still appreciated. Since the contribs.org home will change soon (see news) it's better to wait for this new home so we only have to get organised once.

Since we now have a fixed date for this 'move', the Lycoris team will follow up soon on this.

Thanks for your patience.

tenanji

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2004, 06:13:30 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Hope everything goes well with the move.

I am looking forward to seeing the future of SME Server.

Jay

Offline RvLardin

• +0/-0
    • http://sme.firewall-services.com
Wake UP !
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2005, 03:30:36 PM »
So, the future of our distro is in our hands again.

I'm steel beeing volunteer to be member of the security team, why not animating the list or something in accordance with my poor capacities in coding.

I've just send a mail to the contribs.org team (security ?) to ask for that.

I've notice the name of all the volunteers in this topic.

:hammer:

RV.
----
"Those who are willing to lose some of their essential liberties in favour of security deserve neither and will lose both."
- Thomas Jefferson .

jcoleman

Re: Wake UP !
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2005, 10:20:50 PM »
Quote from: "RvLardin"
I'm steel beeing volunteer to be member of the security team, why not animating the list or something in accordance with my poor capacities in coding.

Copy of email reply -

Security is an invitation only list for obvious reasons.  We want to make sure that not only do the members on it have the proper credentials, but that they understand the responsibilities to keep security issues private until they have been resolved.

If you, or anyone else would like to be included on the Security list, please forward a resume of your experience and your availability of time to participate to staff AT contribs.org.  Members of security must have the flexibility to work on a new problem as quickly as it is identified due to the nature of the issues.  The ability to work well with others is also paramount for this group.

Please understand that a volunteer must have some proven capabilities in debugging security related issues in order to be considered for this group.  Not all applicants will be accepted.  No offense is intended to anyone who does not qualify.

Regards,

-jeff

ruggiero

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2005, 06:21:23 AM »
Hi I would also like to contribute

1/ Team member team
2/ Shell, Perl and Linux sys admin experience
3/ 6-10 hours a week

Rick

ergozd

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2005, 08:59:44 AM »
May be I already replied to this...

I would like to help out with
- upgrade scripts for PHP, MySQL
- compiling newer version of PHP RPMS
- installation instructions for CMS solutions like MetaDot, WebGUI
- simpler HowTos for mmcache, Zend Optimizer and eaccelerator etc...

I fave couple of hours per week.

Best rgds, Ergin

guest22

I am sorry everyone...
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2005, 06:13:10 PM »
I am sorry everyone...

Although contribs.org recieved hunderds of dedicated monthly hours of different skill levels (for the second time upon a kind request), it seems that there is no way of organising this into a streamlined development 'machine'. Even after such a long time to do/try so. The crashes, 'takeovers' are not a valid excuse for this.

My wish was to form specific teams coordinated by teamleaders. Many of you kindly donated time and skills, but it appears so that it is impossible to organise it in contribs.org's plans.

The organisational structure, leadership, development is not clear, although this was suppossed to be a community effort. What a waste....

Please understand me correctly, I personally DO appreciate ALL community members that *actually* do get involved and do try to move on. But there is a HUGE lack of direction and leadership. And in the spirit of a 'community effort' there is virtually *zero* possibility to get really involved, how 'low' or 'high' your skills may be. In my eyes everyting would be appreciated!

If you want to know more about this, please contact Resource Strategies (The 'holder' and 'maintainer' of contribs.org), since they are the onces controlling the above.

(getting really, really tired of trying)

Offline cjensen

• +0/-0
    • http://acenet-tech.org
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2005, 05:20:17 AM »
Hi HF,

You should be commended for your efforts in trying ;-)  But, it has actually been very easy to see this coming... and that from someone who has done not much on the site itself although still very active using/tweaking SME Server on my networks.

Here's hoping the spirit of what brought Linux to the world will breath some life back to where it is needed for this project to survive longterm.

Craig Jensen

brookes

Re: I am sorry everyone...
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2005, 11:12:29 AM »
.....The organisational structure, leadership, development is not clear,......

......But there is a HUGE lack of direction and leadership......

What about a Community Steering Committee? People elected or appointed that meet regularly and decide on the hard questions.

Stephan.

boss_hog

Re: I am sorry everyone...
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2005, 05:45:39 PM »
I am sorry everyone...

... The crashes, 'takeovers' are not a valid excuse for this.
If you want to know more about this, please contact Resource Strategies (The 'holder' and 'maintainer' of contribs.org), since they are the onces controlling the above.

Hey HF,
you have been around a long time, and Charlie, Shad and a hanful others whose opinions are valuable, IMHO.
After reading the above quoted post, the flag on my "stink-detector" started to rise. it would be a shame to let such a grand -->opensource project(?)<-- like E-Smith/SME/Contribs to take a beating. If there is something that -->needs<-- to be done to protect the future of our server, please e-mail me. In private if need be.

OPINION-If this sounds a little negative, my apologies! I would hate to see Contribs fall prey to the Sveasoft "business" model.

Offline girkers

• +0/-0
    • gk computer services
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2005, 07:51:13 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly with Boss Hog in that we can not let this "product" fall to the fate of death.

Obviously someone "owns" the SME project, I have not been around long enough to work this out yet, but whoever it is needs to have a direction on where it is going, otherwise how in the hell is anyone else suppose to know or help.

I believe, as I asked Lycros when they took the project on, what it the road map.  In essence, how do you know how to get there, if you don't know where you are going.

This is a very simple question and no doubt many people will have a different opinion on where this project should go.  But I would like to see the "owner" of SME to develop this and then we can all help achieve the goals that the "owner" sets.

I will happily help in anyway I can to get this "plan" going and I have many other ideas on how to set up the structure to manage the project across a broad range of areas.

I want to help, please let me.  :cry:

jcoleman

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2005, 04:21:44 PM »
Quote from: "girkers"
I agree wholeheartedly with Boss Hog in that we can not let this "product" fall to the fate of death.

I am very interested in this thread.  What are the symptoms of "falling to the fate of death"?

Is it:

* The new isos and beta versions we have had in last couple of months?

* The continuing upgrades and contribs that many people are releasing?

* The increase in forum activity over the last few months?

* The 1000+ wiki pages that were all built by volunteers?

* The dozens of resolved bug reports that have been solved in the last 60 days?

* The 20% increase in site traffic since the first of the year?

These don't look like a "dying" distro to me.

We run through this issue about once every 6 months where "someone" decides that the project is dying because somebody ELSE didn't do something they wanted.  

If you want to help look at the Volunteering page in the wiki.  If you don't have any of those specific skills then you can add great value by helping out others in the forums.  That is where the community is....it is in helping each other out and building community and solutions.

If you (or anyone else) have php or other skills, terrific, please help someone fix a problem that they are having.  If you can help with development join devinfo and just do it.  If you want to "test", there is a new iso out there that needs testing.

You want to provide "direction"?  Great, start a direction and if enough people are interested they will follow, if not, then that is the way it is.  Otherwise, the "direction" we are moving has just released a new iso and this site has been growing and improving since the day it was launched.  

It always pays to remember that this site is provided by volunteers as well, and if you are truly not happy you can always create another site of your own and run it in any manner that you would like.  This is not saying that if you don't like something it's just tough, but I am saying that you ALWAYS have alternatives.  If you are truly unhappy, provide an alternative.  If it is better, then the community will move to it.

In the meantime, have fun with the isos and all of the other services that are provided free of charge by all the volunteers that just roll up their sleeves and do a job without comment or complaint.

I want to help, please let me.

Jump in and help anywhere you would like to.  Your efforts will be appreciated.

-jeff

Offline girkers

• +0/-0
    • gk computer services
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2005, 11:31:04 PM »
I was in no way trying to imply that this distro is "dying".  I concur that it is doing very well.

I was trying to convey that I disagree with what RequestedDeletion said in that trying to organise/co-ordinate volunteers is near impossible.  Sure it would be if the distro "owner" don't want help.

j I do try and assist where I can in the forums etc, but there is only so much I can do in that area.  Yes SME is doing great and I have no doubt that it will continue to grow and develop.

I don't think that I am explaining myself very well, english is my second language with Australian being my first.

I am not able to help in the areas that need assistance, so I feel helpless and this distro has provided me with a means to run stuff from my home.  I am so desperate to give back.  I suppose I will just have to sit back and wait for something that I can do.

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2005, 04:46:43 AM »
I think what most people are disappointed in is the lack of direction and communication.  We didn't see a call to the community on what should be included in the next version of SME.  The 6.5 beta, just came out.  Now with 6.5 RC1, the mrtg, qconfirm, etc. have been removed.  What, Why, and how was this decision made?  If one would poll the community, you would get a lot of responses on what people thought should be included in the next release.  Then this would need to be whittled down, agreed upon as a community, then progress made fullfilling that.  Those whose contribs/ideas didn't make the release, could possibly be included in an update, included in the next release, or further developed and remain separate.  I think what most people want is a say so on the direction of the distro.  Not, just the if you want to do it, do it.  Why can't we get organized?  There is obviously enough skill in the community to keep this distro alive, as well as a lot of learning opportunities.  (i.e - How to build an RPM, how to organize and release a Linux ISO, how the server-manager really works, PHP, perl, etc.)  People want to help and want to learn, but it just doesn't look like there is an opportunity for community involvement with the direction.  

Hope the above makes sense and doesn't come off like I am bashing anyone, because I am not.

Thanks for the time.

JB

Offline girkers

• +0/-0
    • gk computer services
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2005, 07:07:57 AM »
Hey Mr

I agree wholeheartly about the direction thing, that was one of the things I was trying to express, but may not have come across that way.

This is my thought on how things could be organised (let me stress that this is simply my idea and in now way a bitch or moan about how things run now):-

Break the distro up into sections, i.e.:
    * - Security
    * - Interface
    * - Email
    * - Web
    * - Other, etc.
(This list is indicative only and in no way authoritive or exhaustive)

Each section has a leader which the respective team reporting to them.  And each team leader reports to the leader of the whole distro.

This way, people with the skills in their respective areas can assist and contribute to the system as a whole.

While still following the direction of the distro head.

Also the first question I asked when Lycris (whoever) took over the distro was what was there "road map" for the distro.  They came back with something eventually, but didn't really say much.

Now I pose this question again, what is the road map for the distro currently.

jcoleman

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2005, 03:48:08 PM »
All are fair questions, but you are asking the wrong folks  :-)

contribs.org hosts the SME Server website, we do not "lead" the project.  For more information on this please check out:

http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/contribs.org

If you want to setup a direction or any other "organizational" process, please feel free to do so.  If there is enough interest in it then people will follow.  If not, not.

-jeff

Offline girkers

• +0/-0
    • gk computer services
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2005, 04:28:58 AM »
Thanks for that j.

It only leaves me with one question?

Who's in charge of SME?

matsk

« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2005, 09:02:26 PM »

Buddha_Joe

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2005, 10:03:09 PM »
As soon as I am back on my feet

1. I apply for 'team member Doc team.
2. I can dedicate a minimum of 10 hours a week
3. I am familiar with HTML and CSS. I also helped write documention  for Level 1 and Level 2 Support as well as end users. I can furnish a resume upon request.

Offline girkers

• +0/-0
    • gk computer services
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2005, 12:49:24 AM »
That is great Buddha, I can do that sort of stuff as well, but I pose the question.

I volunteered sometime ago in this same post, but nothing ever happened, so why posting to it now would it change anything?

I just feel this is going in circles.

Buddha_Joe

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2005, 12:58:20 AM »

Offline girkers

• +0/-0
    • gk computer services
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2005, 03:19:06 AM »
Thanks Buddha, I read through the thread and it is good to see someone finally wanting to do something.  I did have these messages at home, but they seem so long, that I couldn't be bother sometimes to read them.

Anyway I have since emailed garret to pledge my support and I hope to see this project move forward.