Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Reinstall statistics question

Offline rmoria

• +0/-0
    • http://www.osvorca.nl
« on: October 11, 2004, 07:42:46 PM »
I've gotten the urge to do a clean install on my server, or maybe even change hardware. By just using the integrated backup-to-desktop I lose al statistics gathered over about a year. I would like to keep them. I use two different monitors : sysmon & awstats.

Would someone direct me to the place where the data is stored?
Yes, I can ask more questions then you can answer  8-)

Mumm-Ra

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 01:58:44 PM »
not too sure about where the sysmon data is kept but the awstats data depend on how you are using awstats.

If you are using awstats within server-manager, the data is kept in the admin user folder -
/home/e-smith/files/users/admin/home/awstats
Just save the awstats folder and copy it back when you've re-installed.

If you are using Jesper's awstats script, the data is kept in the ibay that you installed it in.
The default is -
/home/e-smith/files/ibays/awstats/cgi-bin
Just save all the files named awstats<month><date><year>.<subdomain>.<domain>.txt then copy them back into the folder when you've re-installed

An alternative is to use the backup2ws contrib and do a distster recovery backup & restore.  You will need to install all the rpm's that you have on your current server before you run the restore.
Don't forget to test this before you do it for real :hammer: .  This should save, by default, all your data in the following directories -
/home,/etc/e-smith/templates-custom,/etc/e-smith/templates-user-custom,/etc/group,/etc/gshadow,/etc/passwd,/etc/shadow,/etc/smbpasswd,/etc/ssh,/opt,/root

If you do this to test you will need to re-configure the test server to a different ip address for the time being as the restore will restore the current server ip address onto your test server. You have to do this after the running the Advanced Disaster Recovery restore option.  When I've done this I've unplugged the test server from my lan when the server reboots at this step, then logged into the console and changed the ip address of the test server.  then when I'm happy I just change it back.

This is possibly not the best way of swapping servers but it works for me :-D

Offline rmoria

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 02:35:10 PM »
I found /home/e-smith/files/users/admin/home/awstats. Awstat is secure, I tested it on the new server. Recreate the domain(s) then copy the data and it all shows up.

Unfortunately I never got disaster recovery to work :cry: (I do have smeserver-backup2ws-0.0.1-18.noarch.rpm installed). Only the manual backup works. Directions to a working HowTo and needed rpms are very welcome.
This is one of the reasons I feel I have to start over.

Mumm-Ra

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 03:10:19 PM »
the manual backup is what you want to do at the moment.
Create one of those and then restore to your test server.

I must admit that I had problems when I first installed backup2ws but I never really played around with it.  I was backing up all my data manually, which was a pain.  I then re-installed my server and I started to work.  I think that i missed installing the rar rpm, which was why it wouldn't work.
To try out a timed backup, create on to kick off about 5 - 10 minutes after you created it, then view the backup2ws log folder /var/log/back2ws it should create a log file called 911.log

RonM

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 11:31:38 PM »
for sysmon, looks like the info is in /var/lib/rrd

They're not human readable. Brian Kirk gave feedback that the files need to be removed for an upgrade, if so, they might not be restorable between instances of sysmon.

Good luck!

Offline nefkho

• +0/-0
    • http://www.cagothonglines.com
my website wont display including my server-manager sme6.0.1
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 10:07:12 AM »
hi,
please help, i like to fresh install the sme 6.0.1 again, how can i make a backup of my user accounts and password manually.

/home,/etc/e-smith/templates-custom,/etc/e-smith/templates-user-custom,/etc/group,/etc/gshadow,/etc/passwd,/etc/shadow,/etc/smbpasswd,/etc/ssh,/opt,/root

thanks,
Nef Kho  :-) .........

Offline rmoria

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 09:34:07 AM »
Restoring /var/lib/rrd worked. Sysmon continues as if nothing happened.

Thanx all.