Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

PPTP Traffic erratic

Yvick

PPTP Traffic erratic
« on: June 21, 2005, 03:03:02 PM »
Hello everybody,

I use sme server 6.0.1 with no particular contribs installed.
The server runs standalone.
TCP 1723 is forwarded on the firewall to the server's lan interface.

Connexion works fine, I get an active PPTP adapter on my Windows XP with correct IP settings.

When I try to hit a ressource (ie server-manager), a few packets seem to go back and forth and then ... nothing.

Bizarely enough I can ping the client machine from the server but not the other way around.

There is a post on this problem stating an MTU Pb between XP and SME PPTP (the post says it works on W2K). I have deployed the solutions stated in this post to no avail, and the problem exists also on W2K on my setup.

Anybody has a solution ? I tried just about everything I can think of (changing MTU registry setting on my workstation, restarting PPTP on sme server).

Cheers ...

Y

Offline brianr

• +2/-0
PPTP Traffic erratic
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 11:22:47 PM »
you must set the "Negotiate multilink for single link connections" option on the VPN connection under XP.

Go to "properties" for the VPN connection, then "networking" tab and then "settings".  

Remember to also take off the "Use default gateway on remote network" as well (unless you want all your internet access to go through the remote system).  

Find it under "network" tab, "TCP/IP", "properties", then "advanced".

bill (g) likes to make it difficult doesn't he!
Brian j Read
(retired, for a second time, still got 2 installations though)
The instrument I am playing is my favourite Melodeon.

Yvick

PPTP Traffic erratic
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 09:03:20 AM »
Thanks Brian from your prompt response.

I've done all that and I still have the problem, on XP and 2000. A few packets go through and then nothing ...

I've gone OpenVPN yesterday, and that seems to work. Seems to me the Linux Arnarchy wins over bill once again !

y