Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

XP can't join domain

jabell

XP can't join domain
« on: August 15, 2005, 01:46:37 PM »
I have just installed V7.0(22) on a new box, configured it to be a Windows domain controller, created users/groups and Ibays those groups can access.
I can't get an XP Pro box to join the domain, as it keeps bouncing back the login of the account able to join the domain.  I have tried the admin&password combination and the server\admin&password but neither will work.
I can see the shares/Ibays, but whilst I can copy a 1mb file to the share, it takes 5 minutes to do so.  I added the SME server to hosts and the LMHosts on the XP box - no improvement.  
I previously tried SME 6.0 and had a similar problem of not being able to join an XP Pro box to the Domain.
I seem to remember a post a year or so ago indicating that this was a known problem with XP.
Does anyone know of any fixes or resolutions to both the domain issue and the speed of copying files to SME shares?  Internet works great through it by the way, and the server is new and fast.
Thanks
John

kiruxadmin

Re: XP can't join domain
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 08:56:26 PM »
Quote from: "jabell"
I have just installed V7.0(22) on a new box, configured it to be a Windows domain controller, created users/groups and Ibays those groups can access.
I can't get an XP Pro box to join the domain, as it keeps bouncing back the login of the account able to join the domain.  I have tried the admin&password combination and the server\admin&password but neither will work.
I can see the shares/Ibays, but whilst I can copy a 1mb file to the share, it takes 5 minutes to do so.  I added the SME server to hosts and the LMHosts on the XP box - no improvement.  
I previously tried SME 6.0 and had a similar problem of not being able to join an XP Pro box to the Domain.
John

John:
Assuming that your smb.conf settings are Ok. You may have two potential problems.

1. The group for the domain you try to create may already exist. (machinename$) you can delete it by loging in the SME box and typing groupdel machinename$ (replace machinename with the name of the winxp pro box you are trying to join the domain) Try to join, use the admin/password combination of the admin account in the SME box. The group will be automatically created when you join the domain.

2. Name resolution. Even if you can see the shares, or make changes in the LMHOSTS, it ist possible that the samba cache had the previous IP address of the server (see the contents of the /var/cache/samba/wins.dat). Logging to the SME box and type:
smbclient -L servername -U% it should display the share information without errors. (Replace servername by the actual name of your server)

If you still have problems, please post you smb.conf.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 12:46:52 AM »
jabell

Search ?
Read the Manual ?
Explore the CD ?

Look at /home/e-smith/files/server-resources/regedit/winxplogon.reg

In WinXP, double click on the file to import the registry entries into WinXP. Then try joining the domain again.

jabell

XP cant join domain
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 03:47:40 AM »
Thanks to both of you - I will try it out tonight.
Re the Search/Read the manual/cdrom, I went through the manual and could find little on WinXP, and all I needed was some reference in it that there was an XP reg file available on the SME server.  I searched Google/lycos/yahoo and extensivly at Contribs, but little to be foundthere too, hence resorting to the forum.
regards
john

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: XP cant join domain
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 04:08:23 AM »
jabell

> I searched Google/lycos/yahoo and extensivly at
> Contribs, but little to be foundthere too, hence
> resorting to the forum.

A search of contribs.org for
"Windows XP can't join domain"
found the answer in 10 seconds

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=25445.msg102789#msg102789

"Do the XP boxes already have the regedit installed?
/home/e-smith/files/server-resources/regedit"

dhardy

XP can't join domain
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 07:12:58 AM »
The registry tweak is available via http from the clients (certainly in 6.01 and 6.5rc1 so I'm expecting it to be there in 7.0a22 ...)

http://your-server/server-resources/

The last / is needed. From outside the local network this gets a 403 forbidden message, it will only work from inside the network to the inside address of the server.

HTH

David.

jabell

XP can't join domain still
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 03:25:28 PM »
Ray
I've installed the XP reg file but again got the message that the user admin is unknown.  I can join the XP box to the workgroup in about 2 seconds, but it is the joining the domain that always fails.  Now I had this problem in 5.6 and 6.0 as well.  I found a HowTo that detailed adding a user 'root' and amending the smb.conf via templates etc, with a promise that I would get the 'Welcome to the domain' message - I didn't!
Below is the content of my smb.conf as requested.
I have 3 XP boxes, and all report the same 'User unknown'.
In joining the domain, I have tried both the admin/password method and the AHRC\admin /password style in the hope that it would force it to look to the AHRC domain for validation (AHRC being the domain name).
The 'admin user' I take it is the same one that is created at the time of installation of the SME server. I looked in smbpasswd and admin certainly exists.   I tried 'root' as per the HowTo but that fails too.  Given that I am doing this install for a local environmental group(free) it is frustrating to be stuck on such a small portion of the project.  If you have any ideas I would be very gratefull.
regards
john
#---------------------------
# DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE! It is updated automatically by the
# SME Server software. Instead, modify the source template in
# an /etc/e-smith/templates-custom directory. For more
# information, see http://www.e-smith.org/custom/
# copyright (C) 1999-2003 Mitel Networks Corporation
#---------------------------
[global]
add machine script = /sbin/e-smith/signal-event machine-account-create '%u'
admin users = admin
bind interfaces only = no
case sensitive = no
deadtime = 10080
display charset = ISO8859-1
dns proxy = no
domain logons = yes
domain master = yes
dos charset = 850
encrypt passwords = yes
guest account = public
guest ok = no
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 10.1.1.0/255.255.255.0
interfaces = 127.0.0.1 10.1.1.3/255.255.255.0
kernel oplocks = true
level2 oplocks = true
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
logon path =
logon script = netlogon.bat
map to guest = never
max log size = 50
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
netbios name = ahrcserver
oplocks = true
os level = 65
passdb backend = smbpasswd:/etc/samba/smbpasswd
pid directory = /var/run
preserve case = yes
printer admin = admin
security = user
server string = SME Server
short preserve case = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
strict locking = no
unix charset = ISO8859-1
unix password sync = Yes
pam password change = Yes
wins support = yes
workgroup = AHRC
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
printing = lprng
print command = /usr/bin/lpr -b -h -r -P%p %s
[homes]
comment = Home directory
browseable = no
guest ok = no
read only = no
writable = yes
printable = no
create mode = 0660
force create mode = 0660
directory mode = 0770
force directory mode = 0770
path = /home/e-smith/files/users/%S/home
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
guest ok = no
writable = no
printable = yes
use client driver = yes
[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /home/e-smith/files/samba/netlogon
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
browseable = no
[print$]
comment = Printer drivers
path = /home/e-smith/files/samba/printers
guest ok = yes
browsable = yes
writable = yes
use client driver = yes
[Primary]
comment = Primary i-bay
path = /home/e-smith/files/ibays/Primary
read only = no
writable = yes
printable = no
inherit permissions = yes
create mode = 0640
>>>plus some more shares i have omitted here <<<
---------

dhardy

XP can't join domain
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 04:35:27 PM »
Have you tried this:

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=25357.msg102407#msg102407

I think Samba 3 needs the user to  be root when joining computers to the domain.

HTH

David.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 01:16:34 AM »
jabell

> I have just installed V7.0(22) on a new box...
> I can't get an XP Pro box to join the domain...

> I previously tried SME 6.0 and had a similar problem....

Some thoughts, it seems like your problem is perhaps your method ofjoinig a domain or your configuration settings as you have the same problem on sme 6 and sme 7alpha.

sme 6.0 supports XP domain joining OK as log as you run the regedit patch on all XP boxes. So it does work, therefore something must be wrong with your setup elsewhere.

As you are using sme 7alpha22 you should really download the latest sme7alpha26 and use that, perhaps the problem has been fixed already.
Further to that all sme 7alpha release bugs should be reported to the Sourceforge bug tracker and nowhere else, as regularly requested by Charlie, Gordon & others. That way the issue can be properly dealt with by the developers, if it is truly a bug. They won't be greatly interested in bug reports from 7alpha22 though as it's now at alpha26.
Being alpha software means there will be lots of bugs.

kiruxadmin

Join Domain
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 01:44:16 AM »
John:

Your smb.conf looks OK.  More likely you have a name resolution problem.

Did you try:

1. The group (machinename$) for the domain you try to create may already exist in the SME box. You can delete it by loging in the SME box and typing groupdel machinename$ (replace machinename with the name of the winxp pro box you are trying to join the domain) Try to join, use the admin/password combination of the admin account in the SME box. The group will be automatically created when you join the domain.

2. Name resolution. Even if you can see the shares, or make changes in the LMHOSTS, it ist possible that the samba cache had the previous IP address of the server (see the contents of the /var/cache/samba/wins.dat). Logging to the SME box and type: smbclient -L servername -U%
it should display the share information without errors. (Replace servername by the actual name of your server)

jabell

XP joining domain procedure
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 03:33:57 AM »
Ray et al
If it is a procedural issue, then my method, which I use frequently with XP to Win2003 domains, goes like:-
Go to Computer Name > Change, click on the 'Domain' radio button, enter the domain name as set up in SME, then click OK.   This prompts for an account with ability to add the XP box to the domain.  In this case it is admin/password.   Usually after a short time the "Welcome to the <domain-name> domain!" message appears.  I have occassionaly entered the domainname\admin / password so that it knows to use the domain administrator and not the local administrator.  If this  isn't the right procedure for SME then I'm keen to learn what I should be doing.
Regarding the SME 5.6 and 6.0, I hadn't used the XP.reg key on them, which is why it didn't work.
I will blow the server away tonight and install 7.0a26 to t least eliminate that as an issue.
I think I will compile a HowTo if I ever get this to work, as the posts I have seen regarding using root or admin as the account used for joining the domain is a little confusing and not extensively documented.  There must be plenty of us out there who use XP boxes on SME networks who need detailed procedures for this.
I'll let you know how it goes.
thanks
John

Offline raem

• +4/-0
XP can't join domain
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 10:42:45 AM »
If the workstation is wrongly joined to a domain now, then you will need to unjoin it before trying to join it correctly ie with the regedit fix in place. Make it part of a workgroup and then try rejoining the domain.

Check the current bugs for 7alpha x at Sourceforge to see if your issue is listed there.

jabell

7.0a26 resolves XP Domain issue
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 02:14:25 AM »
Very bizarre, but I wiped my 7.0a22 installation, then installed 7.0a26, configured the basics including it being a domain controller, but without users or groups, and it joined to the domain easily!
The PCs were unchanged, so it was either a clean server or the version change that did it.
cheers
john

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: 7.0a26 resolves XP Domain issue
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 10:53:32 PM »
Quote from: "jabell"
Very bizarre, but I wiped my 7.0a22 installation, then installed 7.0a26, configured the basics including it being a domain controller, but without users or groups, and it joined to the domain easily!

John, I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this to you, but if you have any problems at all with an alpha or beta release, you shouldn't be asking for help here - you should be reporting the problem to the developers (who don't read every post on the forum). The right place to report problems for 7.0 is to follow the bug tracker link at http://smeserver.sourceforge.net/.

Thanks.

PS 7.0beta1 is now out, and we'd appreciate testing and feedback.

pringtar

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 01:01:16 PM »
just log in with adminsitrator in windows xp join the domain with your admin account on the sme box with the password it will take a bit time then it will say welcome to what ever domain and reboot this is how i do it all the time and it works every time make sure you have all your user setup on the sme 6.0 box