Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

More translations?

yehaah

More translations?
« on: October 19, 2005, 03:38:33 PM »
Is it possible to translate the server-manager?

If so can it be done in one file, or is it necessary to translate many files?

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
Re: More translations?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 09:21:15 AM »
Quote from: "yehaah"
Is it possible to translate the server-manager?

If so can it be done in one file, or is it necessary to translate many files?

There is one file per server-manager panel, plus a few others.

I have uploaded the latest translations here:

http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs/gordonr/smeserver-locale-1.0.0.tar.gz

To translate to another language:

- Perform an install of SME Server 7.0beta5
- The English files will be in /etc/e-smith/locale/en-us
- Unroll the tarball above
- Create another directory hierarchy for your language
- Translate all of the files in the tree
- Post here to let us know you're done, or (better) raise a bug in the SourceForge bug tracker

- There are a few other files required for the installer and the "pleasewait" page, but this tarball covers almost everything
- Someone has already contacted me about Portuguese and two people are updating the Spanish translations.
- Others languages would be great to have

Offline grand-pa

• +0/-0
    • SME Server Fr
More translations?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 10:03:22 PM »
Hi,

Next week, i should have a little time to contribute to the next release of SME and I would like to help in correcting/translating the installation panels (ncurses console).

Is somebody yet working on these french translations, and is there any forum, ML or wiki pages dedicated to the translations ?

Do you have hints on how to access and modify the original files ?
I guess they are in images/boot.iso/isolinux/initrd.img or in images/diskboot.img but if you have more info (or know where to find it), it would help. ;-)
SME Server v7.4 Server and gateway
Shuttle K45, Celeron E1400, 2x1Go DDR2, 2x250 Go SATA2 RAID-1

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
More translations?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 10:16:28 PM »
Quote from: "grand-pa"

Is somebody yet working on these french translations, and is there any forum, ML or wiki pages dedicated to the translations ?

Yes, we have two French speakers who have been updating and correcting the French translations, though we can always use more hands. The best place to raise changes is in the SourceForge bug tracker until the translations teams sets up some tools.

Do you have hints on how to access and modify the original files ?

The English versions are in /usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/

The English .po files are not actually used since the base locale is English. We need the equivalent .po files for all of the other languages.

I guess they are in images/boot.iso/isolinux/initrd.img or in images/diskboot.img but if you have more info (or know where to find it), it would help. ;-)

The French equivalents are in the tarball I pointed to, under the po directory. These files are in the smeserver-locale RPM, which will be in 7.0Beta6 (they are currently spread across many RPMs).

Please make changes to those and attach a diff to a bug.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
More translations?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 08:36:38 AM »
Thanks for the instructions Gordon.  Added to the FAQ page for lack of a better place at the moment:
http://smeserver.sourceforge.net/sme70/FAQs

Offline grand-pa

• +0/-0
    • SME Server Fr
More translations?
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 01:18:57 PM »
Thank you Gordon. I'll try to work on the french .po files included in the tarball.

flaviove

Re: More translations?
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 10:52:01 PM »
Quote from: "gordonr"

- Someone has already contacted me about Portuguese

I did, and I´m going to take care of it ;-)

Flavio

Offline grand-pa

• +0/-0
    • SME Server Fr
More translations?
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 07:20:18 PM »
I've finished to translate the .po files from en_US to fr_FR, but i'm supprised not to find some parts of the console in it. For exemple the different states of the dialup connect policies (short, long, continuous, etc.) can't be found in server-console.po (US version).

Are you sure, Gordon, that files in http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs/gordonr/smeserver-locale-1.0.0.tar.gz  are complete ?

My translations are for the moment being corrected by other people.
How do you want me to send you the files when they will be OK (for the moment, they are viewable here) ?

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
More translations?
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 11:15:21 PM »

Are you sure, Gordon, that files in http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs/gordonr/smeserver-locale-1.0.0.tar.gz  are complete ?

The .po files live in the base packages and are built when xgettext is called during the build of those packages. The latest server-console.po can be found in the latest e-smith-base SRPM, and is also installed in /usr/share/locale/en_US/...

I haven't worked out a clean way to handle this one yet, since the .po files are generated by the base packages, but the .mo files are generated in the smeserver-locale package.

How do you want me to send you the files when they will be OK (for the moment, they are viewable here) ?

The best way is to attach them to a bug in the SourceForge bug tracker.

Thanks,

Gordon

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
More translations?
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 02:36:39 AM »
Are any of the translators using this software - it looks good for tranlating .po files.

http://www.poedit.org/

flaviove

Translations with the right character (utf-8 encoding)
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 06:43:54 PM »
Do I have to use utf-8 encoding in order to get the right portuguese character showing up at the server manager screen?

Offline dexter

• +0/-0
More translations?
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 11:02:02 AM »
I have Slovenian [sl] translation in progres, but I have one problem which I can not manage myself. Explanation: Slovenian language need WIN-1250 (Central European - Windows in IE) or ISO-8852 (Central European - ISO in IE) encoding to display all characters as they should. Can you tell me where and how to set CODE PAGE for my translation?
--
Andrej Fercic...

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
More translations?
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 04:19:05 AM »
Quote from: "gregswallow"
Are any of the translators using this software - it looks good for tranlating .po files.

Very few of the SME translations use .po files.

Offline grand-pa

• +0/-0
    • SME Server Fr
More translations?
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 04:54:48 AM »
Quote from: "CharlieBrady"
Quote from: "gregswallow"
Very few of the SME translations use .po files.

At least all the console server menus use server-console.po and it contains a lot of messages to translate... ;-)

dexter, in the .po files, you can specify the code page :
Code: [Select]
"Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-2\n"
In the manager panels, you can't specify it, but i guess that if you have written the XML files in ISO-8852 and navigate with a well configured browser (ie. code page defined to ISO-8852), you won't have any problem with the encoding.