Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Public POP3 Access - SMEv7pre1

Offline AaronG

• +0/-0
    • http://www.healthinc.com.au
« on: January 27, 2006, 03:43:55 PM »
Hi

thankfully SMTP Authentication is now a standard inclusion in SMEv7 (i have previously been using v6.0)

However I don't want to use POP3S (secure) to access my POP3 from a public address.

Can anyone please tell me how do I enable NORMAL POP3 (port 110) instead of being forced to use POP3S (secure) for PUBLIC Access.

Even though the SMTP Authentication mentions "SECURE" it does not require the use of the SSL which is GOOD. It appears to plain old SMTP authentication... But I don't want to use POP3S (ssl) to access my mail from a public address.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Regards
Aaron

Offline jfarschman

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 05:58:29 PM »
Aaron,

In SME7pre3 POP3 is not an option in configuration dropdown box. The GUI only offers access to POP3 on the LAN (local networks). On the outside (public/Internet) networks POP3S is available. Using POP3S encrypts all transactions between the email client (Outlook/Thunderbird) and the server.

SOLUTION
The best solution is to change your email clients. Also, if your public clients are always coming from the same location on a static IP address you can simple add them to the list of local networks.

If none of that work, then you can open POP3 to the outside world, but realize this this poses a security risk. Login as root to the command line and enter the following commands.

db configuration setprop pop3 access public
signal-event email-update

Hope this helps.
Jay Farschman
ICQ - 60448985
jay@hitechsavvy.com