Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Guest /everyone account access to printer and public folders

xjjk16x

« on: March 02, 2006, 11:44:11 PM »
I am trying to enable access to the sme shares without requiring a password.

I tried installing the advanced workgroup rpm but still have access denied.

I would mess with the smb.conf but the comments warn not to. Is there a way I can make it so that the printers and shares are open to every samba compatible computer on the local network without requiring a password?

Offline kitnorriss

• +0/-0
    • http://www.kitleyits.com
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 12:46:31 AM »
Hi,

I figured this out last week and it seems to work well although could be a bit long winded if you have quite a lot users/computers on your network.

I tried this on 6.5rc1 and it works for samba shares but have not tested it for printers (as i don't have any installed on my server)

Ensure the usernames on you computers and the usernames on your server are the same.

At the root prompt type:

smbpasswd -a [username]

You will then be asked for the 'New SMB Password'. Type and Retype that when promted. This should be set to the same as the windows logon password for that user. It can be left blank for users with no windows password. You will need to repeat this process for all desired users.

It should then work to allow users to access shares as soon as they have logged onto Windows.

I have also set up a 'Public' folder on my server by editing the smb.conf which might be the better option if you have multiple users wanting to access the same shared folder. Again, this can be setup to not require a password from all or selected users.

Hope this helps.  :-D  Let me know if you need any more info.

Kit        :pint: