Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

FTP remote login 2

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
    • http://www.iclbiz.com
FTP remote login 2
« on: April 28, 2006, 02:29:13 PM »
Hi all I've started a new topic as the ftp topic I'm encountering could be changing from a SME to different ftp problem.

I really don't know but until I can determine if it's either somthing I've done wrong,SME or yahoo problem I wanted to narrow the focus a bit from my other post.

Anyhow here is what is happening:

Regarding remote login of users, that seems to work ok and one ibay is working:

But I cannot login to primary ibay with admin user and pass, and nor can I set up additional ibays and access remotely.

I've set up one ibay called ???1 and another called ????x2 or something, and both are setup identically except the ibay name, all users and groups the same, but cannot access remotely.

And main important topic is no remote access to my primary ibay

Please advise

Also when attempting to login to my primary ibay or login with admin:pass -remotelyI get this message see link below of screen shot

http://www.flashbuilder.net/host/agent86/image002.jpg

Offline jfarschman

• +0/-0
FTP remote login 2
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 04:40:15 PM »
Hey,

We live in the same state.  Email me jay@hitechsavvy.com.  Maybe we can make a little user's group or something.
Jay Farschman
ICQ - 60448985
jay@hitechsavvy.com

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: FTP remote login 2
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 04:46:52 PM »
Quote from: "Agent86"

Also when attempting to login to my primary ibay or login with admin:pass -remotelyI get this message see link below of screen shot

http://www.flashbuilder.net/host/agent86/image002.jpg

You are attempting to login to a yahoo ftp server.

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
Yes to all
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 01:58:12 AM »
Hi and yes user group sounds cool, however I rarely have time for anything else, that my biggest problem is time.

As far as login to yahoo, yes I realize that it says this, but it's wrong.

My domain is hosted by yahoo, but thats it, they do not host any ftp or webspace of mine, I"ve setup the A record and Cname thats it
The users ftp files appear to work remotely and I actually was able to view one of my ibays today only using Firefox on Windoze, but not on IE

Regarding that yahoo message, It appears when attempting to login using my admin and pass such as: www.admin:pass@mydomain.com

And then this yahoo message appears which is very strange since I do not have any yahoo hosting.

But I don't get that message with login to regular ibays or user folders.

I just cannot access with IE it keeps asking for user and pass and I try all types of combinations, but no access

I've not tried any uploads remotely as of yet since I have not regular browser access to the ftp folders for ibays etc.

I have access to only 1 ibay and it shows a folder I uploaded locally, but shows only the root of that ibay and no cgi-bin or html folder etc. I just want to upload my websites remotely whats the catch?

I've read all there is in the docs and have done extensive searches ? is there some trick ? is there nothing more ?

Oh well, back to the drawing board

I have gotten further with ftp's then ever before today was the first time I could access one ibay, via browser, however I don't know what I did to make it works I've not really touched anything since I've been researching this subject as all the settings have bee checked and double checked and triple checked.

I'll keep at it, anyhow

Thanks for any help on this topic.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Yes to all
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 04:03:01 AM »

And then this yahoo message appears which is very strange since I do not have any yahoo hosting.

It's quite clear that you are connecting to yahoo. There's nothing on the SME server that will send those responses.  Check the URL which you were accessing and check the DNS data for your domain.

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
Agreed
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 04:46:18 PM »
I know that it's saying yahoo, but my A record and Cname record are correctly pointing to my domain at: www.foolishlys.com

Here is my settings withing the yahoo domain control panel:

See the jpeg's in the test folder for my yahoo account settings:

ftp://auction@foolishlys.com
no password just hit enter should get you in for now.

I cannot see the cgi-bin or use any type of program to add files etc

But if I try to login as admin or try to get to my primary ftp I get that strange yahoo message, only for the primary not for anythings else to my knowledge

I was not sure If I needed to changed the Cname, I have tried and waited 48 hours to see if any changes would be effected and no effect.

Thanks again for the help, I'm sure it's something I need to setup, but I can't seem to figure out.

I'm very excited, however I sense I'm getting very close now

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Agreed
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 05:18:20 PM »
I know that it's saying yahoo, but my A record and Cname record are correctly pointing to my domain at: www.foolishlys.com

You can't (meaningfully) have both A records and CNAME records for the same name. You have a wildcard CNAME *.foolishly.com pointing to yahoo, so, for instance, ftp.foolishly.com will resolve to a yahoo address. You have A records for foolishly.com and www.foolishly.com pointing to your server.

But if I try to login as admin or try to get to my primary ftp I get that strange yahoo message, only for the primary not for anythings else to my knowledge

You haven't said what URL you are using, so we cannot check for ourselves. But I am sure that you are not accessing www.foolishly.com.

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
Yep
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 05:48:46 PM »
Thats just what yahoo setup by default when I registered my domain name for foolishlys.com

Basically all the entrys you see there are what yahoo provided and all I did was add my static IP for 2 of those entries,

The other Cname records where there by default.

What should they look like ? I've read about the Cname records but not sure  I understand this, I though the Cname record was for directing from a source or subname of your domain to another host or subname of your domain ?

At least according to yahoo:

What is a CNAME Record?

A CNAME (canonical name) record is a DNS record that can be used to point a host name (a subsection of your domain) to another hostname.

For example, you could point the source sales.my-domain.com (a host name) to the destination sales.other-domain.com or info.other-domain.com (another host name)

Additionally:

A CNAME (canonical name) record is a DNS record that can be used to create host names for a domain name. These host names can be set to point to other domain names or host names.

So I'm not really sure what it should look like, I'm guessing that I need to get rid of the Yahoo server part for sure, and add something else pointing to my domain or other host name like http://www.foolishlys.com/auction or something like that ?

Please advise

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Yep
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 05:58:02 PM »
Please advise

I don't think you *need* to change DNS at all. You just need to stop accessing URLs which point at yahoo if you don't want to go to yahoo.

I'm sorry, I can't help you further. Your questions don't relate to SME server as far as I can see.

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
OH MY GOD
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 09:34:41 PM »
The response does not match the question

I do thank you for the help though

As I've said this is SME 7pre3, and the URL is my ftp SME server in which I'm pointing thats the part that I don't understand.

I'm not trying to access any yahoo server that is the confusing part

But I think the Cname should point to my server and not Yahoo servers, but I'm not really sure, since they are hosting my domain.

The URL is my SME server and not a yahoo server, the domain is hosted by yahoo, but the A record is now pointing to my SME server, so the ftp points to my SME server as well.

However, as stated, when trying to login to the primary ibay I get this very strange yahoo message, which should be nothing to do with yahoo since I'm logging into my SME primary ibay

Also no IE access at all, it says to enter my yahoo name or some other type of message.

Something I forgot to mention I also get this message when trying to login remotely to the server-manager I get the same message.

such as www.foolishlys.com/server-manager

The login screen comes up as it should and:

The certificate screen comes up as if I"m at my SME server, which is the same certificate message I recieve when logging on locally.

But after I click OK to the certificate message I get that yahoo thing.

It's starting to sound to me that yahoo is blocking my ftp access
I don't know how or why but I should have access from what I understand if all the settings on the SME are correct and the A record points to my static IP which is my SME gateway/server then It should just let me in. Unless there is no Primary ibay, remote access, thats another question ?

But to clarify I'm not trying to access any yahoo anything, nor should I be getting this message for primary ibay remote access.

I'm not sure what to do with the Cname record, since the *.foolishlys.com is not changeable as the source, I can only change the destination from Yahoo Server to some other host or domain etc.

So you cannot change it to an IP address either or this becomes an A record.

Well I'll keep working on it

:pint:

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
OK here is what I have so far
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 10:50:55 PM »
Hi all and thanks again for reading and helping in the forums

It appears that without reason, I can access all ibays remotely with Firefox Only, I've not done anything really the settings are all the same, however I allowed public access no passwords for my ibays which is not what I desire, but now I can also access my primary ibay remotely.

I still cannot get IE access for some reason, IE just will not veiw the folders in my ibays remotely, I don't know why, but anyhow I'm getting closer

Not sure what I did when allowing public internet access with no passwords needed for ibays, but it appears to have done something

But I never could access using any users, that are in groups with write access to these ibays. Not with Fox or IE

Well thats where I'm at so far, and no reason why I was getting the yahoo message.

Perhaps yahoo fixed it, since I have sent them a message to support regarding this topic.

Well, I'll keep at it

Offline NickR

• +0/-0
    • http://www.witzendcs.co.uk/
Re: OK here is what I have so far
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 11:18:15 AM »
I still cannot get IE access for some reason, IE just will not veiw the folders in my ibays remotely, I don't know why, but anyhow I'm getting closer

You need to configure IE to use passive FTP:

Tools /  Internet Options / Advanced

Tick the option to use passive FTP near the end of the Browsing section.
--
Nick......

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
Thanks that did it
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 04:37:39 PM »
Now back to working on uploading my php websites etc.

Thanks again to all

Any pointers on wesite installation

I've read about uploading the cgi files in asci and the main directory in binary etc. but I'm not really sure what that does

Also am I to set the permissions on the files prior to uploading or once they have been uploaded ?

Maybe this is for another post.

This topic is considered solved, thanks to all.
 :hammer:

I still do not know why the yahoo messege was coming up, and still during IE logins to the left of my screen suggestion to enter my yahoo user name, which is just silly. So after using passive as suggested and while still getting the suggestion to enter my yahoo name to the left of the screen which I discregard and enter my SME user info in the user and password screen all appears to work perfectly

I still don't understand where yahoo comes in, but probably something to do with their default settings hence webhosting packages or something which I do not have, I only have domain registration with them.

Anyhow problem appears to be solved.

Thanks