Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Dyndns.com doesn't update, was this problem solved in SME 7?

Offline lightman

• +0/-0
Hi

I'm writing this because I can't get dyndns.com update to work, I tried to find where the configuration files for the update clients are, but can't find them either.

I don't even know what client SME 6 uses! :)

My first question is if this problem was solved in SME 7, if that is the case, I simply install the last version and problem solved :)

another posibility is to fix the current client I know nothing about or install ez-ipupdate (which I'm familiar with, and I'm using in my other fedora server.) but I don't know, how to know WHEN the ip changes?

should I put the manual update in /etc/e-smith/events/ip-change or the program will know it by itself?.

thanks
Lightman

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 02:47:17 AM »
What type of connection are you using and what version of sme ?

If you are using dsl you will need to bridge your modem to get it to work and use a pppoe on the server to authenticate. I just recently changed modems and I did not have my modem bridged and dyndns blocked my updates because my server was reporting too often. It also was reporting the lan ip address as I had assigned it the address right behind the modems ip. So check your email incase they emailed you.

If on dsl I might be able to walk you thru  what I  had to do.
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.???" Edmund Burke -Irish orator, philosopher, & politician

For the battle is not yours, but God's.   2 Chronicles 20:15

Offline lightman

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 01:46:01 AM »
Hi!
Thanks for reply

Yes the SME server is on a ADSL line (PPPoE with username and password)

Everything is working perfectly, the only problem is that I can't get the dyndns update the changes.

I don't quite get it what do you mean by bridge the modem, I think that since the connection is working perfectly, all the lan machines work properly, I have access to the VPN from the outside, etc, nothing should be wrong with the modem :-D

but as I said I think that I didn't understand the idea :)

can you explain that please?.

thanks again
lightman

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 03:25:12 AM »
Im not exactly sure how to explain it ... I actually only have a vague understanding of it. I just know that when I first got dsl 2000 or 2001 you had to have a client running on your machine (winpoet- windows) and a username/passoword to access the internet with the modems from back then and you had to use a router(internet connection sharing would not work) if you wanted more then one pc to access the internet. Now the new modems are supposely plug and play if your pc is setup for dhcp it should automatically connect(I was told this by a tech when I was setting up a router on my dads connection)and its appears to me after  a tech walked me thru telneting into the modem to bridge it that the newer modems actually run dhcp and give out lan ips to whats behind them.  

I just replaced my modem a few days ago (I did not want to because I had heard it was a pain to get the new modems working and running a webserver etc behind them but the wife was tired of having to power off the old modem it had seen many miles of data :> and had to be powered off 6 to 7 times a week to resync )and in order for my dyndns to work correctly I had to bridge the modem. Yes I had connectivity but the modem was giving my sme server a lan ip address 192.168.1.2 (which is not accessable from the internet )and my sme server was reporting back to dyndns to often and they blocked my account untill I could fix it . Which made my sme box not accessable from the internet and that any mail sent to it would not be received and would bounce.. After remembering the ip of the modem I telneted in and looked around and then I contacted dsl and the tech (I told them I needed for my pc to authenticate using pppoe and she told me where to go to bridge the modem.) Afterwards my page worked with no other problems.

use this site to find your external ip ( http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/utilities/show-ip.shtml ) address and then try pluging it into your internet browser and see what happens. If it works then thier is probaly something in the setup of your sme server or your modem needs to be bridged so that the sme servers nic is getting the correct ip to report to dyndns.

Log in to your http server-manger and reveiw your settings . If it shows an lan ip address 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x on the external adaptor then your modem is giving your sme server a lan  ip and you will need to get into the modem and set it to act as a bridge so  that your sme server will have an  external ip address it can report to dyndns.

You also might want to check the setup on your server first .  Your machine name, site name etc. When I first set mine up I had a problems getting the website to work outside my network. The only way I was able to get mine working was to name the machine as the first part of my webaddress(my site is cell.homeftp.org). Once I named the machine cell and then entered in cell.homeftp.org for my website name my system has worked fine ever since.

I also hope that you used a valid email address when you signed up with dyndns. Because when I changed my modem out last weekend they actually had blocked my dns resolution because my sme server was reporting 2 often to them  from the same ip address because the sme server kept requesting a new ip of the modem then it would report it to dyndns.

Hopefully I have not confused you and you understand where you need to look.  If not then PM me and with what your setting are and i will attempt to walk you thry via email or IM where they need to be put.  

I also can tell you how to telnet into your modem to look around.
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.???" Edmund Burke -Irish orator, philosopher, & politician

For the battle is not yours, but God's.   2 Chronicles 20:15

Offline lightman

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 11:58:55 PM »
Hi

Thanks for reply

I get it, now I understand what did you mean by bridge the modem.

unfortunately I cannot do that because lot's of other things that I have working will stop to do it.

also I need to be able to change my modem by any other one in case of failure and go on the air inmediately, i don't want to program every modem I use :) besides my arescom 800 doesn't support that.

I think I'll try instal ez-ipupdate and see what happens, I'll post my comments here.

BTW: no problem if I update the dns too often, if I do that they gonna let me know by mail, they won't deactivate my account because i pay for the service :-D  (not expensive and very good I think).

thanks again, if I make it work I promess I will post it here.

c-u
Lightman