Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

no route to host with host name, but IP works

Offline Mophilly

• +0/-0
    • Mophilly
no route to host with host name, but IP works
« on: May 08, 2006, 09:37:05 PM »
Many months ago I added a new host name, ducks.myweb.com, in the Hostnames and Addresses panel on SME 6.0.1, with updates. At the time I assigned an IP of 192.168.181.10 the machine and updated the Hostnames and Addresses panel. All worked fine.

A couple of weeks ago I retired that machine and reset the host name IP to a new box with an IP of 192.168.181.13 for its wireless card. After waiting for the DNS to catch up, the host name URL worked fine.

Once the testing was completed, I enabled the EtherNet card in the new machine and assigned it a third IP 192.168.181.12. I modifed the IP address in the Hostnames and Addresses panel, leaving the host name the same.

Now, URL's with the name, ducks.myweb.com, fail on a "no route to host" error, while using the IP address works fine.

What I have overlooked?
- Mark

Offline Mophilly

• +0/-0
    • Mophilly
RE: no route to host with host name, but IP works
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 05:51:36 PM »
A little more info:

I emptied the cache in my browser and, voila, the host name works. However, the host in not available outside of the internal network. Same error is given to external browsers, "no route to host".

The visiblity of the host name is "local". Today I will change this setting to "global" and add the external IP address. I had tried this before but it didn't seem to work.

Perhaps I need to be more patient. The time required for the DNS system to propogate changes doesn't jibe well with my need for speed.
- Mark

Offline Mophilly

• +0/-0
    • Mophilly
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 01:19:26 AM »
Well, I have waited several hours for DNS changes to propogate. I tested from outside my net and the http/Error log shows this:

[Tue May  9 14:58:12 2006] [error] [client 65.xxx.xxx.229] (113)No route to host: proxy connect to 192.168.181.10 port 80 failed

The problem here is that .10 is the old machine. It should be mapped to .12, which is what Server Manager/Hostnames and addresses panel shows.

Now this is vexing. I have modified, or removed+added, the record several times but it doesn't seem to stick.

Do I need to force the update?
- Mark

Offline Mophilly

• +0/-0
    • Mophilly
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 08:10:40 PM »
Just in case someone reads this and wonders what the issue was, here is the resolution.

What I had overlooked was the addition of a reverse proxy directive that I had added to SME.

Reverse proxy is clearly outside the spec for SME, which is why I couldn't find the answer in the doc's or in the server manager interface. It also has serious security implications.

Once I reviewed the mod I was able to sort things out.
- Mark