Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[ANNOUNCE] smeserver-backuppc

pippin

« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2007, 04:00:14 PM »
I get this error (tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

What am i doing wrong?

And when you backup a client which user? root? backuppc? or a name on that machine that have access to samba?

Offline jahlewis

• +0/-0
    • http://www.arachnerd.com/
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2007, 05:35:10 PM »
I realize this is most likely a backuppc issue and not related to this contrib, but I'll ask anyway.

I've configured a Mac OS X host for tar backups of just the /Users directory with some typical Mac OS X excludes... I got it to work on my test system, but on another in the field, I'm getting the following error on the server with Backuppc running:

Code: [Select]
Jan  3 06:00:07 fileserver sudo(pam_unix)[9017]: authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=  user=backuppc

/etc/sudoers has the following:
backuppc ALL=(root) NOPASSWD:/bin/tar,/sbin/e-smith/signal-event pre-backup

And backuppc is saying the backups are erroring with a tar 256 error...

I can't find out what the difference is between my working setup and the broken one...  Any suggestions?  Do I need to "unlock" the backuppc account in server-manager?

I can provide details if interested.

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2007, 06:28:06 PM »
Quote from: "pippin"
I get this error (tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

What am i doing wrong?

And when you backup a client which user? root? backuppc? or a name on that machine that have access to samba?

You need to specify a user (an its password) who can at least read the SMB share, it can be a user of the domain, or of the host to backup.

Quote from: "jahlewis"

I realize this is most likely a backuppc issue and not related to this contrib, but I'll ask anyway.

I've configured a Mac OS X host for tar backups of just the /Users directory with some typical Mac OS X excludes... I got it to work on my test system, but on another in the field, I'm getting the following error on the server with Backuppc running:

Code:
Jan  3 06:00:07 fileserver sudo(pam_unix)[9017]: authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=  user=backuppc

/etc/sudoers has the following:
Code:
backuppc ALL=(root) NOPASSWD:/bin/tar,/sbin/e-smith/signal-event pre-backup

And backuppc is saying the backups are erroring with a tar 256 error...

I can't find out what the difference is between my working setup and the broken one... Any suggestions? Do I need to "unlock" the backuppc account in server-manager?

I can provide details if interested.

Well, I never tried to backup MAC OS X system, but there's a problem in the configuration of the host I think: you have an error related to sudo on the server running backuppc but the command wich need sudo should be ran on the MAC host. can you post the config file for this host please, I'll try to understand how to make it. Maybe you should suscribe and ask on the user mailing list of backuppc:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/backuppc-users
C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol:

pippin

« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2007, 07:14:55 PM »
I give up on this contrib its for the pros

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2007, 09:52:39 AM »
Well, if you are looking for a simple contrib to backup your server, maybe this contrib is not for you. I agree it can seem hard to use and configure, but once we understand how it works, it's very powerfull (I don't speek about my contrib but backuppc itself, my contrib just try to simplify the configuration).

Offline jahlewis

• +0/-0
    • http://www.arachnerd.com/
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2007, 03:58:51 PM »
I agree totally.  Complex to initially grasp (you need to understand about tar, rsync etc., do ssh keys with linux/macosx boxes), but once set up, it is a very cool application.  

VIP-ire's contrib makes it MUCH easier to install and configure, so I can't thank you enough for doing this.

Also thank you to Sonora Communications for the excellent howto.
http://www.sonoracomm.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86&Itemid=32

pippin

« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2007, 11:20:44 AM »
Are you supposed to write som numbers in the config for SMB becasue 192.168.1.3 is in my orange zone behind a smoothie with static adress and dns from my ISP(basic setup in smoothie).I can reach the machine otherwise so i cant imagine what i get this error.

And its working with no password with ssh so why is it not working with rsync and samba?

Offline sonoracomm

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sonoracomm.com
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2007, 07:50:04 PM »
Hi Pippin,

I don't understand your question very well, but I'll try to help.

You should probably be looking on the 'net for general BackupPC info, rather than here.  There's a lot more info there:

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/info.html#lists

BackupPC will use EITHER the rsync, rsyncd OR the smb method to do the backup.  The methods don't combine.

The smb method will not normally work or be used for anything but Windows hosts ON THE LOCAL LAN.  SMB is not a firewall-friendly (or NAT-friendly) protocol.  Use rsync for Linux hosts.  Use the rsyncd method for Windows hosts not on the local LAN (DMZ or WAN hosts).  The rsync protocol goes through firewalls much easier as it only uses (by default) port 22.

See the howto previously mentioned as there are useful, working examples.

G

Offline sonoracomm

• +0/-0
    • http://www.sonoracomm.com
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2007, 08:03:27 PM »
Hi Daniel,

I know you are busy with other things...but have you given any thought to upgrading the BackupPC contrib to the new version 3 of BackupPC?

The reason I ask is that it would (supposedly) solve a couple of problems I have with BackupPC.  It may even make the contrib simpler as it (supposedly) now includes config.pl editing in the CGI (?).

Anyway, thanks again for all the work you've done.  I appreciate it a lot.

G

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2007, 09:35:57 AM »
Yes, I'm actually working on the integration of BackupPC v3. I haven't finished the scriplet for the rpm, and I need to find a clean way to upgrade from the old contrib. But V3 works on my test box (SME 7.1) and I think it'll be ready soon. The first release won't include any panel because, BackupPC 3 has its own configuration editor now, but I think I'll release a panel later to configure the copy of the data. (on a local folder, on a remouvable media or on a remote host). Don't worry, I'll post as soon as it's ready.

mrkiwi

backuppc in the standard repos
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2007, 12:54:46 AM »
Hi,

That sounds great - let me know if you want any testing done.

Is there a way to get this into the repos that are enabled by default? I gave a demo to a linux users group last week, and they were all mostly impressed - but it would be nice to have great apps like this installable from the repos rather than command line + wget + yum + vi etc

MrKiwi

Offline russs

• +0/-0
« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2007, 12:25:28 PM »
Quote from: "jahlewis"
I agree totally.  Complex to initially grasp (you need to understand about tar, rsync etc., do ssh keys with linux/macosx boxes), but once set up, it is a very cool application.  

VIP-ire's contrib makes it MUCH easier to install and configure, so I can't thank you enough for doing this.

Also thank you to Sonora Communications for the excellent howto.
http://www.sonoracomm.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=86&Itemid=32

Just like to add my thanks for this excellent Howto and also for the fantastic contrib that is SME-Backuppc which makes me wish we hadn't spent so much cash on Veritas Backup Exec for our Windows servers last year!   :D

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2007, 03:48:43 PM »
Hi. I just want to tell the new release based on backuppc 3 is ready. I've opened a new thread 'cause this one is quite different from 1.0-5. The configuration is now much more easy with the built-in CGI configuration editor (so my panel has gone). You can test it, any feedback is appriciated.

Cheers, Daniel

mrkiwi

« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2007, 01:58:08 AM »
Quote from: "VIP-ire"
Hi. I just want to tell the new release based on backuppc 3 is ready. I've opened a new thread 'cause this one is quite different from 1.0-5. The configuration is now much more easy with the built-in CGI configuration editor (so my panel has gone). You can test it, any feedback is appriciated.

Cheers, Daniel

For those who want to try this ; i have hacked a quick script to save the typing ...

log onto your sme server as root.
#wget http://smtp.kawhai.net:81/smeserver-backuppc3.sh
#chmod 700 smeserver-backuppc3.sh
#./smeserver-backuppc3.sh

This will download the prerequisites, install them (yum will ask you for a Y before actually doing anything) and then install Daniels package.
It will then reboot the box so that backuppc starts properly.

As always - works for me but YMMV and use at your risk.
Cat smeserver-backuppc3.sh if  you want to see the script before you run it.

MrKiwi

Offline russs

• +0/-0
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2007, 12:49:55 PM »
Hi Guys,

this is probably just me....

I'm now using BackupPc 3 on SME 7.
It's a great program, just one thing though. On version 2 you had the option within the SME interface for Backuppc to send a backup to an external location, i.e. another server. I can't find this option in the new version though.

I have looked at the BackupPc documentation and just can't find this info!

As I said, I'm sure it's just me but what am I missing?

Thanks

Russ