Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

partial internet only

ringring7

partial internet only
« on: March 01, 2006, 11:49:19 PM »
My clients use a server with 5.6 loaded. The internet and email works fine on the PCs that are attached. But telnet, and some update prgrams (such as the update for lavasoft adaware) do not work. In the admin login the internet works fine and I can ping from root. Any ideas?
I would prefer not to upgrade them unless absolutely necessary.

Offline byte

• +2/-0
partial internet only
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 04:49:47 PM »
Now I'll say this as you already no but 5.x is no longer support, and yes you should upgrade, that said...

have you enabled a  transparent proxy? or maybe you have added something on a windows machine? can you reach the windows update server?
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

ringring7

partial internet only
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 09:07:18 PM »
I tried transparent proxy- didnt help. I cnt reach windows update on each PC. But not adaware update, or java updates, or telnet.

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
Re: partial internet only
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 10:56:29 PM »
Quote from: "ringring7"

I would prefer not to upgrade them unless absolutely necessary.

5.x has known, exploitable security holes. Nobody has maintained these releases for years and no patches are available.

In my view, those issues make an upgrade absolutely necessary.

An upgrade from 5.6 to 7.0pre4 should be pain free for a standard system.

ringring7

partial internet only
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 12:18:26 AM »
could you give me the link to that and to any instruction on how to install?

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
partial internet only
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 12:27:20 AM »
Quote from: "ringring7"
could you give me the link to that and to any instruction on how to install?

On the Downloads page. If you do have issues with the upgrade, please raise them in the bug tracker. Thanks.

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
partial internet only
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 02:20:02 AM »
Thats weird I was using a modified 5.6 up untill  the end of Jan 06 and my avg antivirus, adware , windows updates worked with no problems.

What network protocols do you have installed ? What OS ?

I have ipx,tcp/ip and netbui and none of the machines behind my sme server connect with no problems.  Well actually I just remembered one problem I have had going back to version 4. I have is that I have never been able to receive files via Instant Messenger (aol,msn,icq etc). I can send but if someone attempts to send me a file it times out.
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.???" Edmund Burke -Irish orator, philosopher, & politician

For the battle is not yours, but God's.   2 Chronicles 20:15