Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

FTP Access to I-Bays

cosy

FTP Access to I-Bays
« on: August 26, 2006, 12:30:21 AM »
HI,

I got One SME server and running 5 web sites. I want these owners to upload the images to their i-bays how do i allow this with username and password?

If they use thired party ftp client what address they use?

So far i did following

1. Allow ftp under remote access :entire internet & accept password

2. When i give password to ibay people can't access requir the password???

Please help me with this with correct steps.

I read the 14.2. Accessing the i-bays but couldn't understand.

ftp:// ibayname @ftp. domainname ( Which one ?)
ftp:// ibayname : password @ftp. domainname ( Password?)

frond

Re: FTP Access to I-Bays
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 03:34:36 PM »
cosy

> I read the 14.2. Accessing the i-bays but couldn't understand.

The ibays chapter in sme6 manual gives very explicit instructions regarding how to ftp to ibays using a sftp client, which is the way you must do it in sme. Read it carefully again. There have also been a number of posts on this exact subject, so search this forum on ftp or sftp and you'll find concise descriptions of what you need to do, especially in regard to limiting users access to certain folders.

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
FTP Access to I-Bays
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 09:52:01 AM »
Well I have my users locked into an ibay. I added the chroot contrib and have all the user locked into a single Ibay. I would say install the chroot contrib and then set up a group for each user.

I would say that they need to ftp to the main domain and if you have them locked in thier individual ibays (where their files are ) that should allow them to upload files .  Give them read and write access to their  Ibay . You might need to create a group for each person then give thier group read and write access only to thier particular ibay
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.???" Edmund Burke -Irish orator, philosopher, & politician

For the battle is not yours, but God's.   2 Chronicles 20:15

Offline raem

• +4/-0
FTP Access to I-Bays
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 01:41:47 PM »
beakersloco

> I added the chroot contrib

Which I believe is now called
smeserver-remoteuseraccess-1.2-6.noarch.rpm
from dungogs site
http://sme.dungog.net/packages/smeserver/7.0/i386/html/index_dungog.html

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
FTP Access to I-Bays
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 08:44:38 AM »
I have all my users chrooted to a specific directory  ... I dont see why this would not work for you.  Inside the chroot contrib it allows you to set specific directories for each user.  You might need to set up different groups for more securrity for each ibay.

Now I do notice that in version 5.6 it worked smoother then it does in version 6.   I just upgraded to version 6.01 in January and it took me a month or 2 to find  all the custom contribs I had installed on 5.6 .  For some reason my account that I dont want change rooted but I wish to start in a specific directory I find that I am looked in the directory.  My issue might be because of some of the extra stuff I have installed.

I just use my admin account when I need to go everywhere.
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.???" Edmund Burke -Irish orator, philosopher, & politician

For the battle is not yours, but God's.   2 Chronicles 20:15