Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

PXE Boot Contrib

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
PXE Boot Contrib
« on: May 29, 2006, 10:20:54 AM »
Anyone got the PXE Boot contib Working ? Any good HOWTO's.

I am trying to PXE Boot a Compaq T20 with absolutely no success at all. It fails to get an IP address and locate the TFTP server. After lots of googling and reading, I am left wondering if the DHCP Server is configured correctly to support PXE Boot.

I am loathe to report this as a bug at this stage because I am treading brand new ground and the issue is more likey a user problem !

Peter

duncan

PXE Boot Contrib
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 02:38:14 AM »
Are you refering to this one ?

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
PXE Boot Contrib
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 07:14:47 AM »
yes I am referring to that one. I have also made some positive prigress - not enought to be usefull yet but I will keep chipping away...

P

duncan

PXE Boot Contrib
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 10:08:22 AM »
Works fine here - whats the problem at your end.

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
PXE Boot Contrib
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 11:32:04 AM »
PXE booting wasnt finding the TFTP Server and the pointer for it was not in dhcpd.conf.

I have since done a rebuild (from admin panel) and reboot which seems to have sorted it so I will revisit the T/C when I get a bit of time.

I did do the system configure and a reboot at installation time so I am not sure what goes.

Offline TrevorB

• +0/-0
    • http://www.batley.id.au
PXE Boot Contrib
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 01:57:39 PM »
Peter,

smeserver-thinclient is registered as a contrib and as such has a bug tracker (http://bugs.contribs.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=SME+Contribs&component=smeserver-thinclient&content=) and you should always raise bugs through there. Also post your dhcp.conf file.

If you go to 'Report a bug' (left menu) and select SME Contribs, smeserver-thinclient is one of the available Components.

This way I get an e-mail (I'm a little slack at watching the forums... ;-)

I'm not entirely happy with the tftp server (and there may still be a bug with the bootp parameter - please do a config show masq).

Trevor B

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
PXE Boot Contrib
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 03:08:05 PM »
Thanks for the comments Trevor. As I stated in my initial posting, I had no idea whether I was dealing with a bug or a dip-stick operator (me) as I was kicking up new turf.

Just getting one response suggesting it was working for the person who replied gave me enough to keep perservering and sure enough, problems were a dip-stick newbie to tftp.

Whilst I certainly agree the bug tracker is the place for genuine bugs, there does seem to be a trend of late to stiffle any sort of discussion or contrbution by scuttling matters directly to the bug tracker.

This is evident by what appears to me to be reduced discussions in all the forums by "newbies" with "dip-stick" (for want of a better expression) questions from which we all learn.

Having got that off my chest, I am finding that your tftp server is working very well for what I am trying to do which is to boot up an HP T20 T/C with the ThinClientOS system (www.2x.com). I have a hybrid system at present with the images, management etc on an XP Pro Box and the PXE on the SME which is also the network DHCP. As yet, I cannot work out how to get the 2X OS onto SME and the templating system. During the TCOS boot up I have to point it to the TCOS Server. hey - I'm not complaing at this stage, I am heaps further ahead than I was 10 days ago, in what is for me, brand new turf.

Cheers
Peter

Offline TrevorB

• +0/-0
    • http://www.batley.id.au
PXE Boot Contrib
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 12:05:39 AM »
Quote from: "p-jones"
Thanks for the comments Trevor. As I stated in my initial posting, I had no idea whether I was dealing with a bug or a dip-stick operator (me) as I was kicking up new turf.

No problems, it's just that I tend to be very sporadic in my browsing of the forums and may not have even seen this post if it had wandered off the bottom of the page... :-)
Having got that off my chest, I am finding that your tftp server is working very well for what I am trying to do which is to boot up an HP T20 T/C with the ThinClientOS system (www.2x.com). I have a hybrid system at present with the images, management etc on an XP Pro Box and the PXE on the SME which is also the network DHCP. As yet, I cannot work out how to get the 2X OS onto SME and the templating system. During the TCOS boot up I have to point it to the TCOS Server. hey - I'm not complaing at this stage, I am heaps further ahead than I was 10 days ago, in what is for me, brand new turf.

Glad to hear it is working for you. Without positive feedback, I have no way of knowing...

Did you have to do anything special that I should know about (and need to fix - make clearer)?

BTW, what are you using the thinclient for? You may find it easier to use a workstation only thinclient (like Thinstation, PXES, etc.) to start with if you are having trouble with the client/server options (TCOS, LTSP). My preference is for Thinstation, which now includes the 2x client (unmitigated plug as I'm one of the developers... :-) )

Trevor B