Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Can't send email outside local domain

ryanb006

« on: September 12, 2006, 09:25:42 PM »
I've got my SME 6.0.1 server and local network set up behind an external firewall.  The network is 10.0.0.0/24.  My SME box is 10.0.0.249 with all other clients being DCHP'ed 10.0.0.10-10.0.0.110.  They get a domain suffix from the DHCP server (i.e. myschool.k12.mo.us).  This has worked just fine for the longest time.  Then today, users can only send emails to others with an @myschool.k12.mo.us address.  They cannot send to email addresses outside of the domain (they get the 553 Sorry that domain is not in my list of rcpthosts error).  However, they can use webmail to send email.  I've searched the forum to no avail.  All I can find is check your rcpthosts.  I have.  Here it is:

server2.myschool.k12.mo.us
grades.myschool.k12.mo.us
myschool.k12.mo.us
myschool.dyndns.org

The dyndns.org is there because I had to have something before we got our actual domain name.

If I telnet localhost 25 from the SME box and do
HELO elemoffice.myschool.k12.mo.us
MAIL FROM: mylocalaccount@myschool.k12.mo.us
(ok sender accepted)
RCPT TO: myaccount@gmail.com
(ok recipient accepted)

What is going on?  Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

Ryan

ephraims

Webmail
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 02:04:43 AM »
Are they sending webmail using the sme or an external webmail client? Have you tried setting the sme outgoing smtp in the email section of the server manager to be the mail server of your isp. I would give this a try and see if you can send emails from the windows machine

ryanb006

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 03:19:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  They are using webmail on SME and it works fine.  I don't have an external webmail set up.  When they send email to someone other than @myschool.k12.mo.us using their email client on the local network, they get the rcpthosts error.  I believe our ISP provides SMTP only for the email accounts they provide, which would not be the email addresses that our school supplies the staff.

ephraims

mail server
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 05:20:54 AM »
You can normally still use them for your outgoing mail server if you are connected to them. Most isp will allow you to send mail out of there server.In Australia if a customer does not have a fixed ip we have to set there outgoing mail server to be the isp.
A second question what is the dns setting on the workstations are they using the sme for there dns.
If you want direct connection to the smtp from the workstations you can install the fetchmail module. If you need it give me a buzz and i can send you the links

ryanb006

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 02:46:13 PM »
Thanks for your help.  I got it fixed.  The firewall solution we are using (IPCop) somehow reverted to its original /etc/hosts files.  Here's our setup:

ISP > IPCop > SME & local network

The IPCop has an external IP of 204.x.x.249 and an internal of 10.0.0.1.  The SME is 10.0.0.249.  Our DNS record with our ISP says that the IP of our domain should be 204.x.x.249, which is fine for the rest of the world.  Ports 80, 443, 25, and 110 are forwarded through the firewall to SME. For internal machines, the IPCop provides a few local DNS entries through its hosts file--www. mail. and ftp.myschool.k12.mo.us.  So, normally the local email clients would connect to 10.0.0.249 to send mail.  Since the hosts file on IPCop was reverted somehow, the clients were connecting to 204.x.x.249 to send mail.  Therefore, SME thought the clients were connecting from a network outside our own.

Thanks for your help.

Ryan