Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Hylafax problem: "waiting modem to come ready"...

Offline dany_it

• +0/-0
« on: September 28, 2006, 03:28:08 PM »
Hi to all!

I have installed SME7 on a HP Proliant ML310 with the contrib of Chaloner, the hylafax software. The modem that I use is a 3com 56k external on ttyS0.
I had configured it and it's all ok, but somethime the reception of a fax is blocked and after the system doesn' work, and if I type "faxstat" I receive the messagge: "waiting modem to come ready" alternate "initializing server"...

If I shutdown (reboot doesn't work) the machine, when it restart all work ok!

How can I solve my problem??

Thanks very much!

Bye,
Daniele.

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
Hylafax
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 07:34:42 PM »
Hi Daniele

I´d like to help you to track down your fax problem.
I can be reached by MSN jader31 &AT& terra &DOT& com &DOT& br or skype (jader.marasca) to a quicker talk.

My first bet would be change the modem (hardware)... because I have used Hylafax a lot and it´s very stable (just like linux).
But 3Com modems are know to be problematic about faxing.

If you have no other modem, maybe you could disable hylafax (killall faxgetty) and start minicom on that port, issue a "ATS0=1" command to put auto answer on 1 and try to fax to it... let´s try if Hylafax is part of problem or your problem is just the modem.
Other thing you could try is to use this external modem on a WinXP computer and install FAX support of XP (it cames with a very simple software of fax).

Good luck

Jáder

centreit

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 02:48:06 AM »
Daniele,

I had this problem about a month ago. It happened every time there was a power outage. I had the server on a UPS but the modem wasn't. When the power goes out Hylafax loses communication with the modem and seems to hang, as a result any process (including new Hylafax ones) can't communicate over the serial port until you kill Hylafax and restart it.
The simple fix was just to plug the modem into the UPS.
It has now been running for a month without a problem.

Regards,

Daniel Davis
Centre IT

georgelee

No C compiler
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 03:32:13 AM »
How can you install the fax server software package? There is no C compiler installed.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
Re: No C compiler
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 05:49:19 AM »
> How can you install the fax server software package? There is no C compiler installed.

Developers compile packages and make rpms - all you need to do is install them.

Offline dany_it

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 05:19:03 PM »
Thanks all to replies!!

I think that the problem isn't the modem beacuse I have used it with another server and never had problems...
And with this server I have tried another "generic" external 56k modem, but with the same problem.

Fortunally from some week it seems work ok, but the strange thing is that when the modem is blocked if I simply restart the machine, the problem can't solved, but if I shutdown the pc and disconnect the power and the restart all is ok...

Can it be a problem of serial port?

Offline chaloner

• +0/-0
    • http://www.chaloner.ca
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 05:32:21 PM »
The problem is surely your modem. HylaFAX does not work well at all with the 56K Sportster modems. It works OK with the USR Courier V.Everything in class 2, or the Multitech MT5634 series in Class 1.

Try another modem. I have been using HylaFAX for 5 years (or more) with no problems whatsoever.

Chaloner Hale

Offline dany_it

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 12:00:34 AM »
Ok thank you Chaloner!

If the problem will reappear in the future I'll try to change the modem.

For now it seems to be all ok...

Thanks very much!