Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

550 invalid recipient

ivanh

550 invalid recipient
« on: April 19, 2007, 11:57:40 AM »
Hi all,

I know this has been asked before, but in connection with virtual domains - we have only one.

I'm sure I'm doing something verry stupid, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Our mail and web site were hosted by an ISP, but recently (15th February), we were assigned an IP, and began to host our own mail with SME  7.

All users at the headquarters where the server is, can send and receive mail normally, as well as the users at the on branch office, which is directly connected via a router.

But our other Branch office, which uses an ADSL line to a local ISP, receive mail ,and can send to users within the domain, but when sending mail outside the domain e.g. billgates@microsoft.com, an error message is returned (not an email reply) of "550 invalid recipient ". If these users log on to the  webmail system, the mail is delivered OK.

I have looked at the logs, but cannot find any obvious error.

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bezigrad.com
550 invalid recipient
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 01:52:34 PM »
What error message is returned?
"It should just work" if it doesn't report it. Thanks!

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: 550 invalid recipient
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 04:54:35 PM »
Quote from: "ivanh"

But our other Branch office, which uses an ADSL line to a local ISP, receive mail ,and can send to users within the domain, but when sending mail outside the domain e.g. billgates@microsoft.com, an error message is returned (not an email reply) of "550 invalid recipient ".

That message should say "relaying denied". Only machines on the local network can use the server to relay mail to outside addresses. Your branch office should use their ISP's mail server to send mail.