Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

anti-virus on the SME

Scummy

anti-virus on the SME
« on: November 01, 2006, 11:35:35 PM »
Now this is prolly a pretty basic question but since my knowledge of linux and stuff is also pretty basic, any one able to tell me how i run some anti-virus software on our e-mail server please.
i need step by step instructions because it seems we have a virus and CBL etc is blocking us. ive used a couple of other antivirus/spam programs on all our other computers here (windows boxes) but when it comes to the mail server itself im at a loss

help would be much appriciated.

Cheers

Brodie

Offline byte

• +2/-0
anti-virus on the SME
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 11:38:03 PM »
I take it your email server is the SME Server 7.0 ? If so then it already comes with AV s/w which is Clamav
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Scummy

anti-virus on the SME
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 11:53:42 PM »
i got this message thismorning

/etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch:

error: failed to lstat /tmp/clamav-055e0c6df2041ff8: No such file or directory

im guessing this is important

Scummy

anti-virus on the SME
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:51:10 AM »
so no one klnows what im supposed to do about that message i got?

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
anti-virus on the SME
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 05:53:21 AM »
I do not beleive that the message is very important. I would wait and see if it returns tomorrow.

do a google on
tmpwatch
and you will see what it does.

Bob
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!

Offline Curly

• +0/-0
anti-virus on the SME
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 06:32:24 PM »
I think the message means that the program tmpwatch (a program that cleans up temporary directories) is unable to find a file that was there just a little while ago. Most likely the file was created by the virus-scanner and after the virus-scanner was done, it removed the file again.

Nothing to worry about.

ashwell

anti-virus on the SME
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 03:17:25 PM »
Hello guys! Am looking for some info. in regard to secure commercial websites from the malacious interests of the hackers and rogues, actually I have seen my friend who has a website to suffer heavily in the hands of such people and consequently had to wind up the sites made by him. Does this mean that any person who is trying to commence a new website need themselves to be updated with the security measures?