Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Where do I put login defaults and also printing question.

Offline steve288

• +0/-0
Where do I put login defaults and also printing question.
« on: November 22, 2006, 03:41:47 PM »
I have two questions .

1. Where do I put my setup for root. eg how I want my prompt to be displayed etc. Individual users seem to have a .bash_profile but root doesnt seem to have one created.

2. I have set up a network printer. I have seen that to print to a printer you use lp -dprintername -o nobanner -s
When I do this it does print to the printer, however, the copy of the document that gets printed (which is a pure text document) prints the first line and then the rest is pretty much off the page. For example:

A document that starts the following way normally;

AAAAAAAA
bbbbb
ccccc
dddd

Prints this way;

AAAAAAA
..........................................................................**********
(ignor dots but this newsgroup doesnt accept long list of spaces)
In other words the title and then the next line is all the way to the right and then all the rest of the text is gone.

I know that this has something to do with carage returns etc. But these are simple text documents with carage returns. I do understand that there needs to be new lines at the end of each line or it will just run off the page.

Can anyone give me any advice on this? All ever want to do on this system is print text documents. (there is no X so what would be the point of printing anything else.)

regards

Offline steve288

• +0/-0
Problem 1 solved
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 06:05:39 PM »
Well after some reading I just added the .bash_profile into my root directory and it seems to work.

The two things I like to add are
# obviously a prompt.
export PS1="\`pwd\` #"

# Also I find this helpfull. It means that when you do a man page
# or something it doesnt clean away all the data when it is finsished.
# ALTHOUGH it doesnt work the same was as in unix. I also want it
# to NOT clear the screen after I exit from vi editor but it DOES. If
# anyone knows how to stop this I'd apreciate the advice.

export PAGER="/usr/bin/less -X"

Im still looking for help on my printer problem.
thanks.