Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

PPTP questions

achandra

PPTP questions
« on: December 16, 2006, 11:11:58 AM »
When I VPN into my network through SME via pptp, from a network say...134.71.whatever.whatever. into a a 192.168.0.X network which behind the SME now problems..

BUT...

lets say I am behind a natted space with 192.168.0.X which is at home, and VPN into the public ip of the SME server, which then connects me to its natted space which is ALSO 192.168.0.X...I cant reach resources whether it be by IP or  hostname...I see the confusion but dont know how to resolve the issue...Any ideas??

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: PPTP questions
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 09:08:53 PM »
Quote from: "achandra"

lets say I am behind a natted space with 192.168.0.X which is at home, and VPN into the public ip of the SME server, which then connects me to its natted space which is ALSO 192.168.0.X...I cant reach resources whether it be by IP or  hostname...I see the confusion but dont know how to resolve the issue...Any ideas??

You need to change one set of addresses.

achandra

Okay
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 09:57:07 PM »
I didnt want to accept it...but..it is certainly what has to be done...unless I use something like the swerts-knudsen open-vpn or something I guess.

Cool.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Okay
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 12:05:06 AM »
Quote from: "achandra"
I didnt want to accept it...but..it is certainly what has to be done...unless I use something like the swerts-knudsen open-vpn or something I guess.

It doesn't matter what VPN technology you use, you can't have the same network addresses at both ends and expect to be able to reach both.

achandra

swerts
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 12:23:22 AM »
I agree with the network segments...however, the swerts implementation allows for a "bridged" network setup whereby messing with the core network subnets.