Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Backup2USB

Lutz

Backup2USB
« on: January 03, 2007, 06:41:13 PM »
Dear all,

first I want to apologize for posting it to this general discussion forum and not to contribs. But I'm quite new to linux and miss some basic skills. I've set up smeserver 7.1rc1 and it works fine. It's main purpose is to hold images of all my Windows computers, the images are created with a commercial available product, which can create incremental and differential backups. As a backup for the smeserver I want to use a USB disk whereby the first partition is formatted with NTFS, and the second partition is formatted with ext3. When plugging in the usbdisk, fstab tells me
/dev/sda2 /media/usbdisk  pamconsole, exec, noauto, $

Now I want to install something that allows me to backup the data of my server to the USB disk, and this should be done either from the command line or via the web-interface.

It appears that I could either use backup2usb or dar. Now my real problem starts: which one should I choose, and is there a walk through instruction on how to install rpm's?

I tried copying the rpm's to an usb stick, plugged it into my smeserver, mounted the stick, found the right directory, and failed with the command
rpm -Uvh *.rpm.

Please advice in doing it properly.

Regards,
....Lutz

pippin

Backup2USB
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 07:54:36 PM »
try rpm -ivh

Lutz

Backup2USB
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 10:03:04 PM »
I managed to install the backup utility. But I asked myself: my server is switched-on only when I'm working on a pc, because I'm the only user and I'm using it as file server. What makes more sense, either backing up my server with dar to a USB disk (and choosing any option which is provided) or booting the serverbox from a live CD and writing an image to the usb disk? I have a single 160Gb disk installed with "noraid" and "nolvm" options and my usb disk is 250GB.

Thanks for reading,
....Lutz