Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Ingo filters not working after upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1

Offline harshl

• +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 05:56:10 PM »
That's great thank you very much for doing the research on this!
-Landon

markseymour

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 04:02:05 AM »
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:06 pm
Quote from: "mrjhb3"
The fix is here - http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/?id=4618.  This should show up in the next version of ingo.  I have tested it and now my filters are working as I expect.

John

A few questions from a Linux and SME newbie (me):

1)  Do I assume correctly from the date that the above quote was posted that this fix did not make it into SME Server 7.1 Update 3?

2) I've read that Ingo supports server-side rule creation (Sieve, procmail). In the default installation of Horde on SME I don't see a mechanism to allow Ingo filtering rules to become Procmail rules. How can I make this happen?

3) Please direct me to a more appropriate place to ask the following, as this probably is not the best.

My desired order of filtering/virus/spam checking would be thus:
Code: [Select]
a) site-wide blacklist -> drop/delete
b) user blacklist -> drop/delete
c) virus check
d) user whitelist -> deliver
e) spamassassin
then delivery to user junkmail, or main inbox/subfolder.

Is this something that can be accomplished within the current structure of SME/qmail/qpsmtpd/spamassassin/procmail ?

Thanks,

Mark

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 04:29:39 AM »
The updated package is in the smetest repo and will be included in sme 7.2.

Procmail isn't part of SME, so I haven't ever looked at this.  You would need to modify ingo/config/backends.php and add the procmail backend, then see how you make it work.

Number 3 is tough.  Darrel May have an alpha contrib that allows you to define white/black list though server-manager, you can also use DB commands for this.  The syntax escapes me, but if you search, you should find it.  Hopefully I get this correct.  Mail comes in, any WBL lists will be honored, checked for virus, then delivered to user.  If the mail is not on the WBL, it's scanned for spam, then virus, if mail gets tagged by spam, it's moved to the junkmail folder.  This is done before horde does anything.  Ingo filters are client side not server side.  If user is using horde, when they login to horde, their WBL will be honored, then any other filter rules will be executed.

John

markseymour

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 09:36:24 PM »
John,

Thanks for your reply.

Procmail isn't part of SME, ....

Ok, however, Stephen Noble's smeserver-mailsorting contrib enables Procmail (or Maildrop) and makes good use of it for user-chosen
sorting rules.  So it seems it would be readily available should a developer see value in pursuing what I'm looking for.

Here is a quote from Stephen in the bug tracker #2781

the ingo filters work,
would be nice if they could create maildrop/procmail rules
or the explaination how to do so was clearer

so, it looks like he would like to see ingo create server-side rules as well.

Number 3 is tough.  Darrel May have an alpha contrib that allows you to define white/black list though
server-manager,

I use Darrell's wbl contrib, and it works nicely on a *sitewide* basis.  I would like to add user-chosen server-side
whitelists and blacklists.  Often, one person's spam is another's ham.  I would like for users to be able to whitelist
senders and thereby avoid having subject lines modified with the ***SPAM*** tag in mail that they want to receive.
Other users could blacklist a sender for their own accounts when the same sender is whitelisted for a different user.  I
especially like the ease of addition to wbl's in Horde, and this is a key reason for wanting Ingo filtering rules to
become server-side rules.

As an intermediate step, perhaps I can interest Stephen in adding per-user w/b lists to his  mailsorting contrib.

you can also use DB commands for this.  The syntax escapes me, but if you search, you should find it.

I'll look into whether doing this per-user is within my capabilities.

Hopefully I get this correct.  Mail comes in, any WBL lists will be honored, checked for virus, then delivered to
user.  If the mail is not on the WBL, it's scanned for spam, then virus, if mail gets tagged by spam, it's moved to the
junkmail folder.  This is done before horde does anything.

I want to be certain that even mail from whitelisted senders is virus-checked.

Ingo filters are client side not server side.

But  it certainly appears from  a quick look through Ingo documentation that it is intended to be able to generate server-side rules.

We have both mentioned contributed packages as potential solutions, and perhaps I should therefore take this up in a
contribs forum. At this point I don't think I have my wishlist well enough defined and pared-down to make it a general
SME feature request.

Mark