Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Log Me In

Offline Brave Dave

• +0/-0
Log Me In
« on: April 17, 2009, 12:53:53 AM »
Log me in is the remote access software

Has there been any discussion on how to block this type of "unmetered"/"uncontrolled" access ?
.:DB:.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Log Me In
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 01:06:33 AM »
Log me in is the remote access software

Has there been any discussion on how to block this type of "unmetered"/"uncontrolled" access ?

I have no idea what you are talking about. Please clarify.

Offline Brave Dave

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 01:18:33 AM »
Sure

Log Me In is a Remote Desktop Protocol or VNC type thing (logmein.com)

It works (as far as I can make out) by accessing a remote server and making itself (a workstation) available - via a NAT type link - so bypassing the natural firewall.

The user who wants to access the PC goes through the Log Me In Server and accesses their PC - so instantly they are inside the network - via NAT protocols.

But no one else has any idea they are there. It is fully controlled by an individual - not a policy, company or administrator.

Of course one way to stop the access is to prevent them installing the software - not a local admin - but this is a workstation (windows) based solution.

I'm thinking I need to workout where the relevant Log Me In servers are and block them - just wondered if anyone else had pondered this issue.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 02:19:09 AM »
I'm thinking I need to workout where the relevant Log Me In servers are and block them - just wondered if anyone else had pondered this issue.

Not me. You could do this by setting up fake DNS data for the LogMeIn servers - which would work until users work out how to set up their hosts file.

Offline shawnbishop

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 02:02:29 PM »
Just block secure.logmein.com

Even though it is a useful application , there are security risks with it..

Offline Brave Dave

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 12:41:18 AM »
Thanks for the pointers

I have added a domain logmein.com to my domains, so secure.logmein.com should not resolve

That will be nice if it's that simple a solution

There is another of these at gotomypc.com
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 01:03:30 AM by davidbray »