Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

mail not sended because error of dns or i dont know

Offline lucho115

• +0/-0
    • http://www.elac.com.ar
« on: March 19, 2007, 01:18:01 PM »
I have many email en the qmail queue, and when i see the logs, this is the reason:

699     982.75  Connected to 66.231.227.132 but greeting failed./Remote host said: 450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [*my ip*]/

i remove my ip from this line of the log, but as you can see there is 699 tries to deliver those emails, and allway the same error.

I try send an email manualy by "telnet "nameofmailhost" 25" and the same error is displayed.

So can somebosy helpme?
thnks

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 04:30:56 AM »
It sounds as though you need to create a PTR record for your IP address.  You'll have to talk to your ISP about this.

Or, configure your SME server to relay outgoing email through your ISP's mail server.

Offline lucho115

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 12:24:44 PM »
OK, thanks, i solve this telling to the isp that add a PTR to my IP, but i have a doubt , if i manage my dns records with my smeserver why i can add a ptr record to an ip ? or i can but the funcion is not in the server-manager??
tks

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 12:43:19 PM »
Two reasons:
- Because SME is not configured to act as a public DNS server, so it will not provide answers to anyone outside your network

- Because PTR records *must* be maintained by the ISP - even if SME could be configured as a public DNS server no one would ever ask your SME server for the PTR record for your IP address.  This is in the nature of PTR records.

Offline lucho115

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 03:24:42 PM »
ok, thanks

Offline JonB

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 10:56:55 PM »
I think there may be confusion between PTR records and rDNS (reverse DNS) records.

The ISP is responsible for the rDNS record of the IP address. If you have control of your DNS for your domain then you can create your own PTR  record which is just a text record. Personally I feel that PTR is flawed and should not be used.

If your IP does not have a reverse DNS record or the rDNS indicates that it is a dynamic IP some mail servers may block/reject your emails. Your mail server hostname needs to be resolvable via DNS.

Jon

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 11:02:11 PM »
Quote from: "JonB"
I think there may be confusion between PTR records and rDNS (reverse DNS) records.

The ISP is responsible for the rDNS record of the IP address. If you have control of your DNS for your domain then you can create your own PTR  record which is just a text record.

No, a PTR record is not a text (TXT) record. It's the technical name for the DNS record type which is used for reverse DNS.

Offline JonB

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 12:40:25 AM »
Your right  :oops:  I am confusing myself with SPF records which are text records and is flawed.

Jon

Offline skydivers

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 09:01:32 AM »
Quote from: "mmccarn"
It sounds as though you need to create a PTR record for your IP address.  You'll have to talk to your ISP about this.

Or, configure your SME server to relay outgoing email through your ISP's mail server.

I talked to my ISP, they changed the PTR record to mail.mydomain.be
Hotmail still refuses my mail (without sending bounce messages) they get queued.  Anyone an idea?

If I want to configure sme to relay outgoing email, do i have to change this at email settings, smtp server:

Address of Internet provider's mail server  
SMTP Authentication for Internet provider   DisabledEnabled
Mail server user id  
Mail server password

address wil probably be mail.theirdomain.be
smtp auth disabled
mail id = none?
mail pass = none?

Offline JonB

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 11:53:50 AM »
I had the same issue with Hotmail. My DNS was all correct i.e the rDNS record pointed to a valid A record, my IP was listed as static and my IP was not listed on any block lists. Armed with this info I contacted Hotmail technical support who eventually unblocked my IP. It only took about 3 weeks.  :roll:

In the meantime I had set a smtproute in qmail that delivered all mail to a hotmail address via my ISP's smtp server and all other emails delivered normally.

Create a custom template fragment 40hotmail in /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/var/qmail/control/smtproutes.

40hotmail contains

hotmail.com:smtp.your_isp.com

#signal-event email-update

and all emails for hotmail should be routed via your ISP.

Jon

Offline lucho115

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 12:31:26 PM »
Create a custom template fragment 40hotmail in /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/var/qmail/control/smtproutes.

40hotmail contains

hotmail.com:smtp.your_isp.com

#signal-event email-update

and all emails for hotmail should be routed via your ISP.

OK, but if my isp use smtp with user and passwd?
tks

Offline JonB

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 02:37:05 PM »
Luckily I don't have that issue. The fact that I am making a smtp connection from an IP within my ISP's netblock authenticates the connection.

There are a couple of patches for qmail-remote that allow smtproute authentication so you would set up the smtproute

hotmail.com:smtp.your-isp.com|username|password

or

hotmail.com:smtp.your-isp.com username password

I doubt that these patches are included in qmail on SME as qmail licenceing does not allow patched qmail to be distributed.

This would mean re-compiling qmail and it would break on the next SME upgrade if there was a qmail update.

Search Google for smtproute+authentication

Jon

Offline skydivers

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 02:50:12 PM »
Quote from: "JonB"
It only took about 3 weeks.  :roll:

I already send an email to hotmail, got a reply from them, i had to fill in a form. Believe it or not, but my mail to them came from that form...

Do you know who or where I can reach them?

Thanx

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bezigrad.com
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 04:09:47 PM »
[quote="skydivers]Do you know who or where I can reach them?
[/quote]
Are you planing a trip?  :lol:
Give'em one for all the problems they are causing you.  8)
"It should just work" if it doesn't report it. Thanks!