Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

/etc/aliases file on a Linux Server

Offline shawnbishop

• +0/-0
« on: June 04, 2007, 03:11:58 PM »
Good Day

I am moving an old linux server to SME Server, I have recreated all the mail accounts and so forth, but on the old server /etc/aliases file had about 1000 entries in it. Now how would I get all these old aliases on to the SME Server.

I have put the old aliases file into the /etc directory, but there isnt a "newaliases" command to load these aliases into the system to create the aliases.db file??

Would this post be what I am looking for??

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=742.0

Thanks Shawn

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 04:11:14 PM »
You might want to install and use the Lazy Admin Tools.  Here's a link to the 'contribs' folder where it's kept: .../jbennett/sme7/lat/

Here's a brief, untested set of installation instructions:

mkdir -p /root/lat
cd /root/lat
wget http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs//jbennett/sme7/lat/smeserver-lazy_admin_tools-0.9.1-2.noarch.rpm
rpm -Uvh smeserver-lazy_admin_tools-0.9.1-2.noarch.rpm

Now if you run man lat-pseudonyms you'll get some more info.

lat-dump will create files in the current folder containing all of the info that Lazy Admin Tools can manipulate.  The resulting <servername>.Pseudonyms file will show you how to create a ifle that you can feed to lat-pseudonyms -i ...

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: /etc/aliases file on a Linux Server
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 04:57:35 PM »
Quote from: "shawnbishop"

I am moving an old linux server to SME Server, I have recreated all the mail accounts and so forth, but on the old server /etc/aliases file had about 1000 entries in it. Now how would I get all these old aliases on to the SME Server.

SME server does not use /etc/aliases. You want to create pseudonym entries in the accounts database. One way to do that is to use the server-manager.

Offline shawnbishop

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 10:57:43 AM »
Ok, so I have to go and create aliases for every single one..., but then I have this problem

eg we have an email address that is similar to this staff@domain.com

Now when people type this mail address into the To field, it then sends mail out to many people...but these people are all over the world, at different domains, so in my aliases file I have

staff : user@yahoo.com,user@hotmail.com,user@aol.com

and so forth, then under my postfix directory I have mapped staff to staff@domain.com

How do I do this with the Pseudonyms??

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bezigrad.com
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 12:02:55 PM »
Now when people type this mail address into the To field, it then sends mail out to many people...but these people are all over the world, at different domains, so in my aliases file I have

staff : user@yahoo.com,user@hotmail.com,user@aol.com

1. make a group and add all the users (staff) to this new group
2. mail will be group@domain.com so you won't have to make any pseudonyms if you use the name staff for your group

Everyone in the group will get the new message but you'll have to make accounts for every user. You can use forward to mail function for the users that use yahoo, gmail,...
"It should just work" if it doesn't report it. Thanks!

Offline shawnbishop

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 12:36:37 PM »
OMG!!!, this Is going to take me a long time!!  :shock:

Some of these aliases have over 50 email addresses on it, so I have to create a user on the SME server for every Architect and Engineer this company deals with??

:(

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bezigrad.com
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 01:57:01 PM »
Well mmcarn's post will help you (lazy admin tools) or you can use some kind of mailing list. But i don't think that you'll get away with it without some typing.   :)
"It should just work" if it doesn't report it. Thanks!