Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Snap Server-esqe config

havoc3d

Snap Server-esqe config
« on: July 05, 2007, 06:34:39 PM »
Is there a good way to setup an SME server to approximate a Snap! server.  I work at a small IT Support/Consulting company, and we are looking to replace our Aging snap server.  It'd be great if we could go with a regular machine and get a Snap! server feel/functionality.

Basically, we have alot of little software packages that we will use as Demos or trouble shooting, or for repairs while on-site, and use the Snap server to dump the files we need and download them from...

I've been playing with SME here, and i can't seem to get the FTP working (i'm internal, so i'm going to ftp://pubdocs@192.168.1.252 and it's not working, if i use http, it looks like i would have to write my own webpage with file download links...

Any info here would be helpful.

Offline bpivk

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bezigrad.com
Snap Server-esqe config
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
Read the user manual first. You have to enable ftp if you want to use it. I won't tell you what to do because it's thoroughly explained in the manual which you really should read and not just skip to the forum.
"It should just work" if it doesn't report it. Thanks!

havoc3d

Snap Server-esqe config
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 03:09:19 PM »
I have read the manual, and am having problems...that's WHY i posted in the forums.  Guess i should have mentioned that...

i'm trying to get to my server, it's all internal right now, and i can't get to the ftp site at all.  it's not public right now, as i'm just playing with it internally to see what uses i might have for it.  

So, i have an IBay called "pubdocs", group is Everyone, w=admin r=group, public access via web/ftp=entire internet(no pass).

I can't get to this share at all....server name is ca-server1, domain is ca.local, and ip is 192.168.1.252.  but i can't get to that ibay's ftp using any of that info...

have tried the following:

ftp://pubdocs@192.168.1.252
ftp://pubdocs@ca-server1
ftp://pubdocs@ca-server.ca.local
ftp://pubdocs@ftp.ca-server1.ca.local
ftp://pubdocs@ftp.ca-server1
ftp://pubdocs@ftp.ca.local

yeah...i'm out of ideas here...

havoc3d

Snap Server-esqe config
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 03:42:53 PM »
Got it.  Not listed in the manual in the IBays section talking about how to setup the ftp shares and such, so i figured i'd post here incase anyone else searches for it.

The setting is in the "Remote Access" area at the very bottom of the page to turn FTP access on and off globally.