Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Time to pitch in for SME 8.0....

Offline troykd

• +0/-0
Re: Time to pitch in for SME 8.0....
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »
In for $20.  Any chance a 64 bit version is coming out?

Thanks for the hard work.

Troy

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2008, 04:55:17 PM »
In for $20.  Any chance a 64 bit version is coming out?

Nobody has yet justified a 64bit version. Please search here and you should find discussion of pros and cons.

Why do you want a 64 bit version? In what way or ways do you think it might be noticeably different to a 32 bit version?

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2008, 10:17:09 AM »
BUMP
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline arne

• +0/-4
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2008, 09:45:22 AM »
I would prefer a 32 bit SME edition before a 64 bit edition. Reason: As far as I can understand/have experienced, a 32 bit Linux server performs quite much bether as a virtual installation under vmware server 1.x than a 64 bit guest system. Centos 64 as host and SME 7.3/32 running as guest performs and works very well.

Offline zatnikatel

• +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2008, 05:54:13 PM »
Nobody has yet justified a 64bit version. Please search here and you should find discussion of pros and cons.

Why do you want a 64 bit version? In what way or ways do you think it might be noticeably different to a 32 bit version?

one good reason it can accept a lot more ram than 4gb of the current 32 bit system

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2008, 10:40:04 PM »
one good reason it can accept a lot more ram than 4gb of the current 32 bit system

SME currently supports 16GB of RAM, with a maximum of 3GB per process (and these limits could easily be increased to 64GB total and 4GB per process with the 'hugemem' variant of the kernel). Nobody has ever suggested that these limitations are a problem - check the bug tracker.

Offline Peasant

• +2/-0
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2008, 11:28:21 PM »

As per my pledge in http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=40039.msg184491#msg184491 donation of $200 sent.

Client is delighted with the system, and all has run smoothly so far. I've another interested, and a further $200 will follow if they bite as well. Keep up the good work, and I'll try and find more time to help out with bug verification and so on.

Cheers.
Jim

Offline zatnikatel

• +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2008, 05:10:15 AM »
SME currently supports 16GB of RAM, with a maximum of 3GB per process (and these limits could easily be increased to 64GB total and 4GB per process with the 'hugemem' variant of the kernel). Nobody has ever suggested that these limitations are a problem - check the bug tracker.

always though that 32 bit system could only support 4gb ram max maybe thinking to much about windows as 32 bit XP vista can only support 3.5 max out of 4 gb you loss 500 meg of it as i work with both windows and linux but linux is much better trying to get our clients of windows server to linux server as exchange server uses a crap load of ram if you have 3gb store.exe will use almosy all of it exchange is such a huge memory hog windows = very bad code
the old saying is Intel giveth and microsoft taketh away 

Offline dmcguire

• +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2008, 01:02:50 PM »
It's about time we ALL pitch in for the great efforts of the devs....

Just installed 7.3 on my home Dell SC440 at home. $50 donated. Thanks to all involved.

Offline sinclair

• +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2008, 06:33:14 PM »
i just saw the message and I'm pitching in wid a tenner. the exchange rate for the 'worthless' dollar is almost 2:1.
so all you Europeans on this side of the pond can pitch in knowing that your EU currency can get nearly 2 dollars for one EU note [of toilet paper] good work if you can get at it.

SME 8.x Keep it open and saucy-like for da peoples - Non suits free zone from djmamalove & da legsman.

Offline RvLardin

• +0/-0
    • http://sme.firewall-services.com
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2008, 10:08:35 AM »
That would be a good idea, as long as the installers were funding co-ordinated marketing and ongoing development and bug tracking efforts.

Unfortunately, the contribs.org election process doesn't seem to have generated these sorts of initiatives. The elected Development Manager did a great job co-ordinating the development, testing and release of SME 7, and there's been some progress on the website, but I'm yet to see a business plan from the Business Manager, who we hoped would ensure that the SME server project was economically viable. There's no doubt in my mind that quite a few people are making money from SME server, but very little is being channeled back into R&D.

Could be a good to create an "installer community" inside the contribs one.
Count me in.
What are the projects from the "Business manager" in this direction ?
As i said many times, I looking for an incitative way to coordonate "installer's" need and developpment focus.

Other thing, about the incomes :
Can we have a global view on Incomes/Outcomes of contribs.org ?
Can we know the amount that is effectively paid to the dev ?

Thks,
RV.
----
"Those who are willing to lose some of their essential liberties in favour of security deserve neither and will lose both."
- Thomas Jefferson .

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2008, 10:52:48 AM »
Can we know the amount that is effectively paid to the dev ?
Nothing AFAIK, as this is done in their own (spare) time and driven by personal motivation.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)