Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

M$ DNS via SME VPN

Offline woiks

• +0/-0
M$ DNS via SME VPN
« on: August 31, 2007, 09:28:03 AM »
Hello all,

I've been thinking a while how to set up my SME 7.x to provide corporate DNS for PPTP clients. SME is a server-gateway with email and DNS (no records there except: self, mail, ftp etc). All other networking services (DHCP, DNS, AD etc) are on Windows 2003 machines.

When connecting to the office via SME-VPN, I receive an IP address from a predefined range. SME provides me with its own DNS address.

Logically, there are 2 ways to make DNS work over VPN:

1) Configure DNS Server Option for the VPN client address range (append W2003 DNS address instead of its own)
2) Configure DNS Zone transfers between W2003 (Primary) and SME (Secondary). In this way SME DNS will have all the information I need.

Which one is easier to implement, or maybe there is another simple way? Hope that somebody can point me in a right direction.

Regards,

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: M$ DNS via SME VPN
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 10:00:37 AM »
When connecting to the office via SME-VPN, I receive an IP address from a predefined range. SME provides me with its own DNS address.

Not sure if this is what you are after.
Since 7.2 Users can be assigned fixed IP addresses with PPTP
    db accounts setprop fredfrog PPTPIP 192.168.1.5
    signal-event remoteaccess-update

Offline woiks

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 03:05:23 PM »
Hello Ray

db accounts setprop fredfrog PPTPIP 192.168.1.5
signal-event remoteaccess-update

This should give a static IP to client, but this is not quite what I look for. I want the custom DNS address to be passed to PPTP clients, or make DNS zone transfers work between MS and SME.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 08:56:40 PM »
This should give a static IP to client, but this is not quite what I look for. I want the custom DNS address to be passed to PPTP clients, or make DNS zone transfers work between MS and SME.

No, you don't need either. If you configure SME correctly to delegate the right domains to your existing DNS server (via domains panel), your PPTP clients can query the SME server and get all the correct responses.