Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

multiple Joomla installations

Offline EdelingF

• +0/-0
multiple Joomla installations
« on: February 17, 2008, 12:25:57 PM »
Because I have multiple domains I wanted to install Joomla for each domain.
I installed one with a RPM from Dietmar Berteld's contribs and one using SiteMaker. If I do so, when login as administrator in the second installation, I see the first installation.
So one way or the other both installations are influencing each other. Both are installed in differend directories in /opt and have separate databases and users.
Am I doing something wrong or something that won't work anyway? :? :?
I could always install Joomla in an Ibay, but I don't want to do that because of the security risks.

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
Re: multiple Joomla installations
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 01:41:44 PM »
There is more to it than meets the eye.

I had this wiki entry pointed out to me before..

http://wiki.contribs.org/Web_Application_RPM

in particular....

*  a workaround to enable the application to be located in a domain or subdomain root

note this causes side effects, another method is needed

Search for that line and you will find a generic template fragment.

Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

Offline EdelingF

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 02:06:39 PM »
William,

I think I know what you mean with that template fragment, but I don't think I know how I should use this.....
I'm not that good with Linux.
If I use SiteMaker, there is a template made. Should I add the fragment to that template and alter some of the lines? And then reload the template?

Offline jumba

• +0/-0
  • Donations: July 2007 - $ 20.00
    • Smeserver på svenska!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 09:42:21 PM »
Because I have multiple domains I wanted to install Joomla for each domain.
I installed one with a RPM from Dietmar Berteld's contribs and one using SiteMaker. If I do so, when login as administrator in the second installation, I see the first installation.
So one way or the other both installations are influencing each other. Both are installed in differend directories in /opt and have separate databases and users.
Am I doing something wrong or something that won't work anyway? :? :?
I could always install Joomla in an Ibay, but I don't want to do that because of the security risks.

I have tried to use SiteMaker to set up multiple Joomla installations on a single server, and found it working 100%.

Just make sure to name each Joomla preparation in SiteMaker differently, i.e. "Joomla1", "Joomla2" etc

Of course you'll have to name each database accordingly.

Each Joomla instance will reside in their respective /opt/joomla1 or /opt/joomla2, using it's own database.