Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Password strength

Offline samsoe16

• +0/-0
Password strength
« on: February 27, 2008, 04:15:43 PM »
dear all,
i new on using sme server, a just want ask about how to change password strenght for user and i just want use 4 character for the password. i have read the manual book and try this command "config setprop passwordstrength Users none" but nothing happen. i still cannot change passwords strenght, i use sme server 7.2.
thanks for the answer.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Password strength
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:37:07 PM »
dear all,
i new on using sme server, a just want ask about how to change password strenght for user and i just want use 4 character for the password. i have read the manual book and try this command "config setprop passwordstrength Users none" but nothing happen. i still cannot change passwords strenght, i use sme server 7.2.
thanks for the answer.

The minimal password length is 7 charachters, the paswordstregth only determines the crypotgraphic strength and variation in used characters.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline Teviot

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 02:19:30 AM »
Is there a command that administrators can change for the default lenght of password?

Thanks
Teviot
Regards
M0GLJ
I am new to SAIL SME Server v8b6 and have been using SME for many years.
I have already done some research and only ask questions if I still can't work it out.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 03:35:00 AM »
teviot

Is there a command that administrators can change for the default lenght of password?

No.

A workaround was published in the forums but it requires code changes that will be overwritten with the next update, apart from other potential issues with the pam module and at upgrade time when running a non standard server. There may also be problems with future (new) functionality if you use a less than 7 character password.
See
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=40035.0
it is applicable to sme7.x

Offline Teviot

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 03:42:47 AM »
Thanks Ray

While I don't understand what or how PAM works. BUT my understanding of security and the possible function that PAM has.

Teviot
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 03:51:08 AM by teviot »
Regards
M0GLJ
I have already done some research and only ask questions if I still can't work it out.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 03:48:12 AM »

Offline Teviot

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 03:52:18 AM »
Ray

Thank you

All clear now

Teviot
Regards
M0GLJ