Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

eGroupware plus Funambol from Windows Mobile? Anyone have this working?

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
Hello all,

Great work on so many things, so first off, THANKS.

That said, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong or have missed a needs-to-be-updated-in-howtos step somewhere.  I've got a new install of SME 7.3 and followed the php5-cgi howto, confirmed it works as instructed, and setup egroupware as per the howto, confirming php5 works at the rpc.php address.

So now I have installed the open source Funambol for Windows Mobile (a smartphone, WM6), and can connect, though not from the WAN yet (not sure why yet), and via the LAN can get as far as "the server has requested a full sync, yes/no".  I select yes and always always get a sync error.  There isn't much in the Funambol client's logs, even with debug logging turned on, and I haven't seen anything at all useful in the "view logs" server panel.

Does anyone have SME/egroupware/Funambol working?  With Funambol clients (not just egwosync)?  Is there a step missing form the howtos, or something I could look for that I might have messed up by misunderstanding a howto?

I have a custom certificate from cacert.org as per that helpful howto, so no longer get cert errors/warnings on machines where i have installed the 2 root certs from cacert.org.  I have also installed the cert on Windows Mobile as per their instructions.  Can get to /webmail fine w/out errors on Windows Mobile, just can't get past "Sync Error" in Funambol.

I tried v.6.5 current and even 6.0.19 (I think -- in the 6.0.x series anyway -- there is no 6.0.14 as mentioned in the howtos available online in "old versions").

Any ideas at all anyone?  I'm stumped and really had planned on having mobile sync with SME... :(

Any advice/tips/experiences are very welcome.

Thanks!

--Matt

Offline jester

• +1/-0
Re: eGroupware plus Funambol from Windows Mobile? Anyone have this working?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:27:17 AM »
Hi mmellon,

Have you set up the paths in eGW like this ?
I have it working with Funambol 6.5.14, can't really see that you left out any steps except for maybe the above.

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 03:23:25 PM »
Yes, I do have the sif format and ./siftasks ./sifcontacts and ./sifcalendar set.

I can get the phone to send events or contacts, maybe 20 or 40, then wait for server data, then returns error.  Log says "server returned error code -1".

Hmm.

I'm going back to 6.5.14 (or current) to try that again.

Thank you,

--Matt

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 03:25:02 PM »
...By the way, Funambol client seems to want to sync email, but is by default pointing to a funambol.com account.  Do you ignore/delete this account and just set up IMAPS, or do you reconfigure the Funambol-installed account to point to egroupware?  (And if so, how?)

Thanks!

--Matt

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
I just re-checked my egw installation, and the only warnings I get are about ORACLE and ODBC support, which I don't need, and this:

Passed Checking PEAR::Net_Socket is installed: 999.egw-pear
Warning Checking PEAR::Auth_SASL is installed: False
PEAR::Auth_SASL is needed by: EMailAdmin, felamimail. You can install it by running: pear install Auth_SASL

Could I be missing something that causes Funambol sync to fail?  I reinstalled Funambol 6.5.14 on the WM6 Smartphone and still get "server failure" errors after the phone sends some data to the server, then waits with "waiting for server data" then the error.

Thanks for any help,

--Matt

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 05:48:18 PM »
While neither work for me, I did notice that the how-to in the Contrib differs from the egroupware.org instructions on syncing for the calendar, specifically that one uses sif and ./sifcalendar and the other calendar and vCalendar format.

From the howto:
4. Funambol

Download Web site: Funambol Web Site Download Funambol 6.0.14 link Funambol 6.0.14

1) Install Funambol 6.0.14
                      2) Change "7" to "0" for mbstring.func_overload = 0 in php.ini
                      3) Open Outlook go to the Funambol Setup (Funambol --> Option)
                      4) Select all items
                      5) Setup options:

ACCOUNT

Location = http://Domain Name/egroupware/rpc.php or http://Server IP/egroupware/rpc.php
     Username = Your user login name for eGroupWare
     Password = Your user password for eGroupWare

SYNC

CONTACTS
     Sync Direction = Two-Way
     Remote name = ./sifcontacts
     Data Format = SIF
     CALENDAR
     Sync Direction = Two-Way
     Remote name = calendar
     Data Format = vCalendar
     TASKS
     Sync Direction = Two-Way
     Remote name = ./siftasks
     Data Format = SIF
     NOTES
     Sync Direction = Two-Way
     Remote name = ./sifnotes
     Data Format = SIF

--Snoopyski 19:04, 20 September 2007 (MDT)

However, the how-to/Contrib does not specify instructions for Windows Mobile devices....

Still stumped.  Maybe there is a php.ini setting that is limiting the ability to upload/sync enough data?  That would not explain tasks, however, as I have no tasks on the phone and only 2 tasks in egroupware (trying to see if that helped).  Therefore, I'm inclined to think perhaps it is an egroupware problem and not unique to SME.  If it is a php.ini (or more accurately, php5-cgi.ini which is NOT templated, right?  you edit that php5.ini file directly, yes?, because it is installed not as an SME contrib exactly, but sort of kludged in via the php5cgi howto?)

Many thanks,

--Matt

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 06:18:07 PM »
I think the problem comes from the memory limit on php5-cgi, I had the same error trying to use funambol (outlook plugin). You can verify this with the command tail -f /var/log/messages (or tail -f /var/log/httpd/error_log, I don't remember), while you try to sync. To correct this, edit the file /etc/php5/php.ini, find the line
Code: [Select]
memory_limit = 8M and increase it (16M, or 32M depending on the number of contacts)
C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol:

Offline Snoopyski

• +0/-0
    • http://www.serviceinfosg.com
Hello Everyone,

I have updated the synchronisation settings in the "eGroupWare HowTo on contribs" see the link:

http://wiki.contribs.org/index.php?title=Egroupware

Have a good weekend of synchronisation everyone !

Stéphane

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
Success!  Thanks!  The 32M setting did the trick, thank you so much, and thanks for updating the howto.

--Matt

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
Hello again,

I'm afraid I've got one more question/problem.  I've got rpc.php working beautifully thanks to the help given here, but tried to connect Kontact (current version on Ubuntu) via xmlrpc.php and I get the "element not found" error when checking from a browser.  Kontact just gets no response, no calendar shows up.

My guess is that this could be a PHP4 vs. PHP5 conflict, or a conflict between settings specific to one or the other.  For example, mbfunc_overload = 0 or = 7 depending on whether one is referring to rpc.php or not.

Could anyone comment relating the new .htaccess text in the howto to two things:
1. the php5-cgi howto, and,
2. the proper way to build an htaccess fragment as a custom template for httpd.conf?

I've already got a template fragment from the php5cgi howto, and want to create the proper htaccess fragments relevant to using xmlrpc.php, which I believe is still using php4 (as suggested by the Outlook sync via egwosync text).

Lastly, note that I think /etc/php.ini (or wherever it is exactly) is templated/generated, but it seems to me (and I could be wrong) that the php5cgi's php5.ini is NOT templated/generated, and thus would not honor template fragments, but has to be edited directly -- is this accurate?

Many thanks!

--Matt

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 04:30:39 PM »
mmellon

2. the proper way to build an htaccess fragment as a custom template for httpd.conf?

If you clicked on the Howto link at the top of these forums you would have found this:
http://wiki.contribs.org/Htaccess

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 07:22:29 PM »
Indeed, and I already had.

What I asked for was someone to comment on the egroupware howto that now suggests "creating an .htaccess file in the root of your egroupware" which directly contradicts the whole templating concept.

In addition, the instructions reference some lines that appear pertinent to php4 and those relating to rpc.php settings must reference php5, as that is required for syncml clients like Funambol to work.

I further noted that php.ini is templated, but the php5-cgi howto seems to not have a templated php5.ini -- rather, one must edit the php5.ini that is called for php5cgi apps by hand, again, directly in contradiction to the whole concept of templating these files.

So again, can anyone comment on the above apparent contradictions and fill in the gaps re:
php.ini
php5.ini (php5 as a cgi)
rpc.php (needs php5; does work for me following increase to 32mb setting)
xmlrpc.php (needs php4?  5? doesn't work for me right now...)
how to have /egroupware be php4 except for /rpc.php with php5 -- anything else need php5?

It could be that while all the pieces are there, I'm just hesitant to stick them together as I am new to it all, and trying to be conservative and stick to templating properly.

Many thanks again -- it's so encouraging to be so close to having this working right.

--Matt

Offline raem

• +4/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 12:32:55 AM »
mmellon

Whether you implement via a .htaccess file or via a appropriate custom template, the result is the same.
Doing it the .htaccess file way involves weaker security, so you are advised to use custom template fragments, and I provided a link which "generically" tells you how to do that.

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 03:13:04 AM »
Snoopyski -- have you by any chance used .htaccess template fragments, rather than using an actual .htaccess file?  If so, might you be able to comment on fitting the .htaccess lines you kindly provided?  I'm afraid I'm a bit concerned/confused about the current notes in the howto and worry that they are loosening security in egroupware.

Many thanks for all assistance!

--Matt

Offline mmellon

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 03:33:35 AM »
hmmm... by way of fyi, I did try adapting the how-to to the generic htaccess howto and broke my webserver.  grrr...  i think i managed to undo all of the damage, but the right way to do all of this is still well beyond me (and not documented).

I think that the real trick even if someone does know how to do this, will be getting custom template fragments for php.ini and httpd.conf for PHP4 apps and specifying PHP5-CGI as a handler for rpc.php, but then getting the PHP5-specific settings for rpc.php (mbstring_func.overload = 0 for example) into the php5.ini that is *not* (as far as I can tell) templated, and therefore will not use any custom template fragments.

Yeessh... what a complicated mess!  (but such a powerful app if working right!).

Thanks for any help, of implied sympathy by reading this thread....

--Matt