Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Change Server Name

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
Change Server Name
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
I have a need to change the name of my my server from Server1 to www. I have number of virtual domains and remote users. I do have a few customizations. I am looking for any complications I may run into before I try it.

Thanks

Bob
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Change Server Name
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:17:28 PM »
I have a need to change the name of my my server from Server1 to www. I have number of virtual domains and remote users. I do have a few customizations. I am looking for any complications I may run into before I try it.

Thanks

Bob
Log in as admin (not as root) to your server and choose reconfigure server, you should be able to change the hostname there, however it might well be possible that the www hostname is not accepted as this most likely is a reserved name like mail and ftp as well.

Do you really need it to be named www? Is there a special purpose to that? Normally to have a domain hosted on www.domain.com it is not needed to have your server named www,you just need to configure your DNS properly.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
Re: Change Server Name
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 02:30:20 PM »
Thanks Cactus.

It is because of an ssl cert I purchased. I set it up for www.srdpc.com, and it used to work. When I renewed the cert with startech, it does not like the new cert. I think they may have changed things.

I think I tried this once before, and it goofed up a lot of the virtual domains, and I don't really want to go through that again. I could try it on a test box and see what happens.

I was wondering if anyone else had had tried this before, and if they had any issues.

Thanks

Bob
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!