Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Cannot delete files in iBay

Offline darkmatter

• +0/-0
Cannot delete files in iBay
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:54:24 PM »
Hello, my first time posting here.

I've searched for a topic that might cover this issue to no avail...

It seems I cannot delete certain files/folders from specific iBays.  My Primary ibay for example has a couple of folders with multimedia files and when I attempt to delete them, I get a typical "Error Deleting File or Folder" pop up saying "Cannot delete filename: Access is denied.  Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file in not currently in use."  None of those conditions are true and I am logged in as admin.

Anybody have a suggestion?  Server is SME Server 7.4 up to date with all patches.

Thank you.

Vince

Offline uniqsys

• +0/-0
Re: Cannot delete files in iBay
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 11:45:57 PM »
Hello, my first time posting here.
Welcome to the forums!

I've searched for a topic that might cover this issue to no avail...
Good start.

None of those conditions are true and I am logged in as admin.
Not sure what you mean here.  If you log in as admin then you should be at the server console and if you exit that you go to a login prompt.  Do you mean you are using a GUI from a workstation on a Windows PC and logged into Windows as Admin?

Either way, what you need to do is check the permissions on those files.  SSH into the SME server using putty.exe for example or go to the command line console at the server physically and log in as root.

Navigate to the ibay,check the permissions on the files you want to delete.  It should show that you have root access (permissions).  As ROOT, you should have the power to delete them, so just delete the files you want to delete.

Thank you.

Vince

You are welcome.

Offline darkmatter

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 12:33:59 AM »
Yes, I am logged in as Admin through Windows and browsing \\dnsname\Primary\html

I can log into root no problem... what's the generic path to the ibays and is it standard cd commands as in DOS?

Thank you!

Offline uniqsys

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 01:00:52 AM »
Yes, I am logged in as Admin through Windows and browsing \\dnsname\Primary\html

I can log into root no problem... what's the generic path to the ibays and is it standard cd commands as in DOS?

Thank you!

Login to the server as root at the server.  You will be at the root directory.  Do this
Code: [Select]
cd /home/e-smith/files/ibays/ibayname/files Replace ibayname with the name of your ibay.
The commands in linux are a bit different. Use "ls -l" instead of "dir" to get a file listing with permissions.  Then delete the files with the remove command
Code: [Select]
rm filename Replace filename with the name of the file you want to delete.

Remember please in Linux when you delete the file it is gone forever there is NO undelete.  BE CAREFUL.

Offline darkmatter

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 01:07:26 AM »
That works great thank you very much!

Now for the $20K question... why can't I delete them from the GUI?  Is it a rights issue?  I created this content with the Admin account, which has control of the Primary ibay correct?  What's a quick and dirty on file permissions in CLI?

Also, command to delete entire directory?

Offline darkmatter

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:12:11 AM »
Sorry to bug about the commands... I got the remove directory command (rmdir, rm -r, etc)... I promise I'll look for those before asking nxt time :)

As fas as changing permissions, haven't found that yet!

Offline uniqsys

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 01:43:42 AM »
That works great thank you very much!

Now for the $20K question... why can't I delete them from the GUI? Is it a rights issue?
Yes it appeared to be that, but you can only tell when you look at the file listing with ls -l.  There is a user and group owner listed and they have specific rights.  Read up in Google on CHOWN.

I created this content with the Admin account, which has control of the Primary ibay correct?  What's a quick and dirty on file permissions in CLI?

Also, command to delete entire directory?
Don't delete the entire directory at the command line.  Go into SERVER-MANAGER (the GUI accessed in your browser) and delete the ibay that way.  There is more to its existence than just that folder!  Read more in the Administrators manual in the wiki.

Offline uniqsys

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 01:44:32 AM »
Sorry to bug about the commands... I got the remove directory command (rmdir, rm -r, etc)... I promise I'll look for those before asking nxt time :)

As fas as changing permissions, haven't found that yet!
Read up on CHMOD.

Offline darkmatter

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 01:55:34 AM »
Read up on CHOWN and got it!  chown admin directory -R did the trick.  Again, as to why they were exclusive to root idk. 

No worries, I was deleting files and directories within the iBay, not the entire iBay itself! :)

I appreciate all the help!

Vince

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:59:12 AM by darkmatter »