Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME 7.3 Updates

Offline micropitt

• +0/-0
SME 7.3 Updates
« on: April 20, 2008, 05:23:41 AM »
After installing the latest batch of updates on one of my 7.3 Server, the menu groups in the admin panel disappeared. The menu still is there but everything now is under "unknown".
Reported under Bug #4229

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
Re: SME 7.3 Updates
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 05:59:51 AM »

You may want to list what additional contribs you have installed.

Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

Offline micropitt

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 06:03:21 AM »
I only have the SME7Admin contrib installed.   

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 06:42:50 AM »
I have others but not SME7admin and can confirm that the Server-Manager is 'messed up' as per your bug screenshot.
Regards,
William

Offline micropitt

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 06:49:31 AM »
Found some other contribs that I had installed (and forgotten about it), run yum update on smecontrib which installed some updates. Some of the groups came back but not all.

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 08:55:13 AM »

I use this /sbin/e-smith/audittools/newrpms | grep smeserver to find additional contribs.

Regards,
William

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 09:50:58 AM »
Reported under Bug #4229
Very good! But please post follow-ups there and not in the forums please.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline micropitt

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 03:38:31 PM »
After installing the latest batch of updates (release 4/19/08) on one of my 7.3 Server I encountered several issues. At this moment a user can not login to access any iBay from a Windows Workstation. The username/password is rejected.
The user, however, can access his/her e-mails with his/her current username/password combination. The e-mail client currently is setup for IMAP.
Filed as Bug #4233

Offline brianr

• +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 05:02:19 PM »
Brian j Read
(retired, for a second time, still got 2 installations though)
The instrument I am playing is my favourite Melodeon.

Offline paul_NZ

• +0/-0
    • http://www.csssnz.com
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 09:58:39 PM »
I too have a screwed up Server Manager panel ... extra contribs Login Script Manager, seems ok under Collaboration; Disk Usage, seems ok under Adminsitration; Email WBL seems to have moved to under Configuration; Antivirus (ClamAV) seems to have moved under Configuration; Awstats and DAR2 are additional scripts under unknown along with many other 'standard' options.

How am I to fix this?

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 10:04:10 PM »
How am I to fix this?
The only way is to only have UTF-8 compatible or no contribs installed. All contribs from SME Server default repositories as well as the SME Contibs repositories should be in UTF-8 and therefore compatible with the latest update.

If you have contribs from other sources you should get the author to (in order of prefference) move it's contrib(s) the the SME Contribs CVS (and hence the SME Contribs repository) or request a new release with a UTF-8 encoding of the locale.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline paul_NZ

• +0/-0
    • http://www.csssnz.com
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 10:08:19 PM »
The only way is to only have UTF-8 compatible or no contribs installed. All contribs from SME Server default repositories as well as the SME Contibs repositories should be in UTF-8 and therefore compatible with the latest update.

If you have contribs from other sources you should get the author to (in order of prefference) move it's contrib(s) the the SME Contribs CVS (and hence the SME Contribs repository) or request a new release with a UTF-8 encoding of the locale.

Thanks Cactus .. How do I know which contrib is at fault? also how do I remove the offending contrib? and finally as I actually use all these how do I know what is truely compatible before installing in the future?

Offline mudra

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 10:17:35 PM »
I have the same problem with the control panel. I have found a series of patches from a link in the WIKI. My only problem is I do not know how to apply the patches to my system / the install rpm.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

I have tried patch <patchfile> <rpm> and it gives me the following error

root@frank sme_password]# patch -p1 smeserver-password-1.0.0-locale-2008-04-20.patch smeserver-password-1.0.0-02.noarch.rpm
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.

Any help would be really appreciated.

TIA

Mudra

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 10:20:05 PM »
Thanks Cactus .. How do I know which contrib is at fault?
That is a hard thing to say unfortunately. The encoding type is not listed in the locale files. Did you already do the update against SME Contribs to drag in all correctly encoded contribs available? It should fix some (maybe all if you have only some common contribs (like from dungogs free repository)

also how do I remove the offending contrib?
Removing packages is always a tricky task, but it can be done from the SME Server shell. Using yum remove is a way, but might impose the risk of deleting stock SME Server packages (rule of thumb, when the list of dependencies is really long and contains packages starting with e-smith or unfamiliar packages starting with smeserver or having some stuff in them that vaguely reminds you of SME Server lexicon you should not uninstall that way). You should instead try and see what dependcies can be removed manually without damaging the system using 'normal' rpm query commands like rpm -q --whatrequires ... and rpm -q --requires before removing them one by one using rpm -e. Again be very careful as removing to much might leave your system in an unknown and unadministrable state. Best is to keep the latest ISO on CD and backups at hand and when things go AWOL do a CD update to restore all needed packages (it should not override or remove databases and configuration settings, only restore packages accidentaly removed).

and finally as I actually use all these how do I know what is truely compatible before installing in the future?
Again not easy, best option is a VMWare test environment or some other test box. For a rule of thumb you can safely install contribs listed in SME Contribs repository, also all SME Server packages released from now will (most likely as I can not predict the future) be in UTF-8 encoding.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 10:23:10 PM »
I have the same problem with the control panel. I have found a series of patches from a link in the WIKI. My only problem is I do not know how to apply the patches to my system / the install rpm.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

I have tried patch <patchfile> <rpm> and it gives me the following error

root@frank sme_password]# patch -p1 smeserver-password-1.0.0-locale-2008-04-20.patch smeserver-password-1.0.0-02.noarch.rpm
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Never and I really mean never ever apply patches to your running system, patches are meant to be incorporated in the RPM packages and applying them might render your system useless.

Best you can do at the moment is update against the SME Contribs repository and contact the authors of the contribs that not got updated by that way as described by me earlier as well.