Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME 7.3 Updates

Offline micropitt

• +0/-0
SME 7.3 Updates
« on: April 20, 2008, 05:23:41 AM »
After installing the latest batch of updates on one of my 7.3 Server, the menu groups in the admin panel disappeared. The menu still is there but everything now is under "unknown".
Reported under Bug #4229

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
    • http://www.magicwilly.info
Re: SME 7.3 Updates
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 05:59:51 AM »

You may want to list what additional contribs you have installed.

Regards,
William

IF I give advise.. It's only if it was me....

Offline micropitt

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 06:03:21 AM »
I only have the SME7Admin contrib installed.   

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 06:42:50 AM »
I have others but not SME7admin and can confirm that the Server-Manager is 'messed up' as per your bug screenshot.
Regards,
William

Offline micropitt

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 06:49:31 AM »
Found some other contribs that I had installed (and forgotten about it), run yum update on smecontrib which installed some updates. Some of the groups came back but not all.

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 08:55:13 AM »

I use this /sbin/e-smith/audittools/newrpms | grep smeserver to find additional contribs.

Regards,
William

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 09:50:58 AM »
Reported under Bug #4229
Very good! But please post follow-ups there and not in the forums please.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline micropitt

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 03:38:31 PM »
After installing the latest batch of updates (release 4/19/08) on one of my 7.3 Server I encountered several issues. At this moment a user can not login to access any iBay from a Windows Workstation. The username/password is rejected.
The user, however, can access his/her e-mails with his/her current username/password combination. The e-mail client currently is setup for IMAP.
Filed as Bug #4233

Offline brianr

• +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 05:02:19 PM »
Brian j Read
(retired, for a second time, still got 2 installations though)
The instrument I am playing is my favourite Melodeon.

Offline paul_NZ

• +0/-0
    • http://www.csssnz.com
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 09:58:39 PM »
I too have a screwed up Server Manager panel ... extra contribs Login Script Manager, seems ok under Collaboration; Disk Usage, seems ok under Adminsitration; Email WBL seems to have moved to under Configuration; Antivirus (ClamAV) seems to have moved under Configuration; Awstats and DAR2 are additional scripts under unknown along with many other 'standard' options.

How am I to fix this?

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 10:04:10 PM »
How am I to fix this?
The only way is to only have UTF-8 compatible or no contribs installed. All contribs from SME Server default repositories as well as the SME Contibs repositories should be in UTF-8 and therefore compatible with the latest update.

If you have contribs from other sources you should get the author to (in order of prefference) move it's contrib(s) the the SME Contribs CVS (and hence the SME Contribs repository) or request a new release with a UTF-8 encoding of the locale.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline paul_NZ

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 10:08:19 PM »
The only way is to only have UTF-8 compatible or no contribs installed. All contribs from SME Server default repositories as well as the SME Contibs repositories should be in UTF-8 and therefore compatible with the latest update.

If you have contribs from other sources you should get the author to (in order of prefference) move it's contrib(s) the the SME Contribs CVS (and hence the SME Contribs repository) or request a new release with a UTF-8 encoding of the locale.

Thanks Cactus .. How do I know which contrib is at fault? also how do I remove the offending contrib? and finally as I actually use all these how do I know what is truely compatible before installing in the future?

Offline mudra

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 10:17:35 PM »
I have the same problem with the control panel. I have found a series of patches from a link in the WIKI. My only problem is I do not know how to apply the patches to my system / the install rpm.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

I have tried patch <patchfile> <rpm> and it gives me the following error

root@frank sme_password]# patch -p1 smeserver-password-1.0.0-locale-2008-04-20.patch smeserver-password-1.0.0-02.noarch.rpm
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.

Any help would be really appreciated.

TIA

Mudra

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 10:20:05 PM »
Thanks Cactus .. How do I know which contrib is at fault?
That is a hard thing to say unfortunately. The encoding type is not listed in the locale files. Did you already do the update against SME Contribs to drag in all correctly encoded contribs available? It should fix some (maybe all if you have only some common contribs (like from dungogs free repository)

also how do I remove the offending contrib?
Removing packages is always a tricky task, but it can be done from the SME Server shell. Using yum remove is a way, but might impose the risk of deleting stock SME Server packages (rule of thumb, when the list of dependencies is really long and contains packages starting with e-smith or unfamiliar packages starting with smeserver or having some stuff in them that vaguely reminds you of SME Server lexicon you should not uninstall that way). You should instead try and see what dependcies can be removed manually without damaging the system using 'normal' rpm query commands like rpm -q --whatrequires ... and rpm -q --requires before removing them one by one using rpm -e. Again be very careful as removing to much might leave your system in an unknown and unadministrable state. Best is to keep the latest ISO on CD and backups at hand and when things go AWOL do a CD update to restore all needed packages (it should not override or remove databases and configuration settings, only restore packages accidentaly removed).

and finally as I actually use all these how do I know what is truely compatible before installing in the future?
Again not easy, best option is a VMWare test environment or some other test box. For a rule of thumb you can safely install contribs listed in SME Contribs repository, also all SME Server packages released from now will (most likely as I can not predict the future) be in UTF-8 encoding.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 10:23:10 PM »
I have the same problem with the control panel. I have found a series of patches from a link in the WIKI. My only problem is I do not know how to apply the patches to my system / the install rpm.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

I have tried patch <patchfile> <rpm> and it gives me the following error

root@frank sme_password]# patch -p1 smeserver-password-1.0.0-locale-2008-04-20.patch smeserver-password-1.0.0-02.noarch.rpm
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Never and I really mean never ever apply patches to your running system, patches are meant to be incorporated in the RPM packages and applying them might render your system useless.

Best you can do at the moment is update against the SME Contribs repository and contact the authors of the contribs that not got updated by that way as described by me earlier as well.

Offline mudra

• +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 10:28:58 PM »
Thanks for the warning. I guess I was too keen to sort this problem out. When I saw the link in the WIKI I assumed that this would turn my non-UTF8 contribs into UTF-8 contribs.

I will bide my time and wait for updates to my contribs.

Thanks for the advice.

Mudra

Offline paul_NZ

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 10:30:22 PM »
That is a hard thing to say unfortunately. The encoding type is not listed in the locale files. Did you already do the update against SME Contribs to drag in all correctly encoded contribs available? It should fix some (maybe all if you have only some common contribs (like from dungogs free repository)

dungogs repository is active on my system so this should be ok as dungogs contribs are pretty reliable ... DAR2 is from D May and again I would think ok but I am wondering if this could be at fault.

This is a production server and I'm quite concerned with this problem and do need to be supported thru a fix.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 10:31:30 PM »
I will bide my time and wait for updates to my contribs.
Some of them might already be UTF-8 ready. Did you already update against the SME Contribs repository?

You can do so on SME Server Shell as root user using the following command:
Code: [Select]
yum update --enablerepo=smecontribs

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 10:36:32 PM »
dungogs repository is active on my system so this should be ok as dungogs contribs are pretty reliable
All contribs from it's free repositories have moved to the SME Contribs repository, so one thing is to update against that repository (see instructions just above this post). It should fix most off the dungog contribs, do not know if contribs in his other repository are updated as well.

... DAR2 is from D May and again I would think ok but I am wondering if this could be at fault.
I guess Darell will release an update pretty soon as he is almost always on the ball as well, although he perhaps should consider moving to SME Contribs CVS (and SME Contribs repository), but that is something different for now.

This is a production server and I'm quite concerned with this problem and do need to be supported thru a fix.
The best bet for that is to add you e-mail adress to the CC filed of the bug tracking it (it might require that you register to the bug tracker if you not have done so already) and watch this section of the wiki Translation page.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:39:13 PM by cactus »

Offline paul_NZ

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 10:55:35 PM »
Thanks Cactus ... indirectly, you have helped me heaps, I uninstalled smeserver-dar2 snd now I'm back to normal but in need of a good backup solution ... do you have a recommendation for a now working script?

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 11:02:07 PM »
Thanks Cactus ... indirectly, you have helped me heaps, I uninstalled smeserver-dar2 snd now I'm back to normal but in need of a good backup solution ... do you have a recommendation for a now working script?
If I were you I would try and contact Darell and request an update, I think his contrib is quite good and deserves continuation.

I guess you should leave the panel installed as I do not think the backup job will not be running (which is what it is installed for off course), as this is not initiated by the server-manager panel. Configuration is probably also possible using the SME Server shell, although a lot harder and error prone.

Offline HACKERSOFT

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 04:08:04 AM »
I also have the same issue after updating.
Contribs installed:

1. dar2
2. remoteuseraccess
3. diskusage

Any fix so far?

Offline Normando

• +2/-1
    • Unixlan
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 05:45:47 AM »
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 05:47:58 AM by Normando »

Offline HACKERSOFT

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 06:36:04 AM »
I've done the quick fix and found out the following to be tagged as not updated:
1. dar2 (already listed in the wiki)
2. remoteuseraccess (not yet listed)
3. userpanel-sshkeys (not yet listed)

I'm now waiting for the updated version.... geeee!

Thanks!

Offline Normando

• +2/-1
    • Unixlan
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 06:46:05 AM »
I've done the quick fix and found out the following to be tagged as not updated:
1. dar2 (already listed in the wiki)
2. remoteuseraccess (not yet listed)
3. userpanel-sshkeys (not yet listed)

I'm now waiting for the updated version.... geeee!

Thanks!

remoteuseraccess and userpanel-sshkeys are updated, unless you have an old version. Please, update your contribs like Cactus show above:

Offline HACKERSOFT

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 06:56:56 AM »
then that leaves dar2 then... thanks again!

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 09:05:10 AM »
then that leaves dar2 then... thanks again!
smeserver-dar2 should also be available. I just updated it.

Offline Helgo

• +0/-0
    • home website
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 11:44:13 AM »
Hmmm. another problem,

Package smeserver-dar2.noarch 0:0.0.1-5.el4.sme set to be updated
---> Package smeserver-vacation.noarch 0:1.0-21.el4.sme set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libart_lgpl_2.so.2 for package: rrdtool
--> Processing Dependency: fping for package: smeserver-sysmon
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package fping.i386 0:2.4-1.b2.2.el4.rf set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libart_lgpl_2.so.2 is needed by package rrdtool

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 12:39:49 PM »
Hmmm. another problem,

Package smeserver-dar2.noarch 0:0.0.1-5.el4.sme set to be updated
---> Package smeserver-vacation.noarch 0:1.0-21.el4.sme set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: fping for package: smeserver-sysmon
---> Package fping.i386 0:2.4-1.b2.2.el4.rf set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libart_lgpl_2.so.2 is needed by package rrdtool

I suspect you have other packages installed that might require a different version of rrdtool or you installed rrdtool from somewhere else. Please post the output of this commands:
rpm -q --whatrequires rrdtool
rpm -qi rrdtool
It could also be that you do not have al required repositories enabled, I think you might be missing either CentOS - base or CentOS - updates. Please see what the output is of the following commands as well:
db yum_repositories show base
db yum_repositories show updates

Offline HACKERSOFT

• +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 01:04:01 PM »
smeserver-dar2 should also be available. I just updated it.
Well that solves everything for me now! That was a relief!  8-)

Thanks!

Offline Helgo

• +0/-0
    • home website
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 03:22:17 PM »
Cactus, here the are,

I also have i yum update done with all database open, same problem.

perl-rrdtool-1.0.50-1.2.el4.rf
smeserver-sme7admin-1.1.0-1
smeserver-sysmon-5.1-3
smeserver-cacti-0.8.7a-1

-------------------------------

smeserver-sysmon-5.1-3
smeserver-cacti-0.8.7a-1
[root@server ~]# perl-rrdtool-1.0.50-1.2.el4.rf
-bash: perl-rrdtool-1.0.50-1.2.el4.rf: command not found
[root@server ~]# smeserver-sme7admin-1.1.0-1
-bash: smeserver-sme7admin-1.1.0-1: command not found
[root@server ~]# smeserver-sysmon-5.1-3
-bash: smeserver-sysmon-5.1-3: command not found
[root@server ~]# rpm -qi rrdtool
Name        : rrdtool                      Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.0.50                            Vendor: Dag Apt Repository, http://dag.wieers.com/apt/
Release     : 3.el4.rf                      Build Date: Fri 15 Sep 2006 07:48:25 PM CEST
Install Date: Thu 27 Mar 2008 04:49:22 PM CET      Build Host: lisse.leuven.wieers.com
Group       : Applications/Databases        Source RPM: rrdtool-1.0.50-3.el4.rf.src.rpm
Size        : 1543005                          License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 15 Sep 2006 08:26:56 PM CEST, Key ID a20e52146b8d79e6
Packager    : Dag Wieers <dag@wieers.com>
URL         : http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/
Summary     : Round Robin Database Tool to store and display time-series data
Description :
RRD is the Acronym for Round Robin Database. RRD is a system to store and
display time-series data (i.e. network bandwidth, machine-room temperature,
server load average). It stores the data in a very compact way that will not
expand over time, and it presents useful graphs by processing the data to
enforce a certain data density. It can be used either via simple wrapper
scripts (from shell or Perl) or via frontends that poll network devices and
put a friendly user interface on it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BaseURL=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/os/$basearch
    EnableGroups=no
    Exclude=kernel,kernel-smp,mkinitrd,mdadm,initscripts
    GPGCheck=yes
    MirrorList=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
    Name=CentOS - os
    Visible=yes
    status=disabled

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

updates=repository
    BaseURL=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/updates/$basearch
    EnableGroups=no
    GPGCheck=yes
    MirrorList=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=updates
    Name=CentOS - updates
    Visible=yes
    status=disabled

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 03:42:43 PM »
Cactus, here the are,

I also have i yum update done with all database open, same problem.
Never do that again pleas as that will most certainly drag in more than you like and might cause very serious damage. If you want to have something from the not enabled repositories manually enabled it for one time during a yum install command with the --enablerepo=reponame option.

smeserver-sysmon-5.1-3
smeserver-cacti-0.8.7a-1
That is what I thought already. There were problems with different conflicting rrdtool versions being required by smeserver-sme7admin and smeserver-sysmon if I remember correctly.

[root@server ~]# rpm -qi rrdtool
Name        : rrdtool                      Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.0.50                            Vendor: Dag Apt Repository, http://dag.wieers.com/apt/
Release     : 3.el4.rf                      Build Date: Fri 15 Sep 2006 07:48:25 PM CEST
Install Date: Thu 27 Mar 2008 04:49:22 PM CET      Build Host: lisse.leuven.wieers.com
Group       : Applications/Databases        Source RPM: rrdtool-1.0.50-3.el4.rf.src.rpm
Size        : 1543005                          License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 15 Sep 2006 08:26:56 PM CEST, Key ID a20e52146b8d79e6
Packager    : Dag Wieers <dag@wieers.com>
URL         : http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/
Summary     : Round Robin Database Tool to store and display time-series data
Description :
RRD is the Acronym for Round Robin Database. RRD is a system to store and
display time-series data (i.e. network bandwidth, machine-room temperature,
server load average). It stores the data in a very compact way that will not
expand over time, and it presents useful graphs by processing the data to
enforce a certain data density. It can be used either via simple wrapper
scripts (from shell or Perl) or via frontends that poll network devices and
put a friendly user interface on it.
It seems your version of rrdtool comes from dag, which might be correct but might also cause conflicts. You might be better of removing that one and reinstalling rrdtool from the default repositories. That might solve your issues.

Remove like this:

rpm -e --nodeps rrdtool
It will make its dependencies malfunction for a short while but we will solve that later on.

BaseURL=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/os/$basearch
    EnableGroups=no
    GPGCheck=yes
    MirrorList=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
    Name=CentOS - os
    Visible=yes
    status=disabled

updates=repository
    BaseURL=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/updates/$basearch
    EnableGroups=no
    GPGCheck=yes
    MirrorList=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=updates
    Name=CentOS - updates
    Visible=yes
    status=disabled
What is your server history, straight install of a SME Server 7 from CD or upgrade from previous releases? You should enable both repositories as they belong to the default SME Server set. You can do that using the following commands:

db yum_repositories setprop base status enabled
db yum_repositories setprop updates status enabled
expand-template /etc/yum.conf

Now check that you only have the repositories enabled in the server-mamanger that are listed here, disable others that are not listed.

Now I guess lot of updates will be waiting for you, but first we will install rrdtool again:
yum install rrdtoolAbove should work as a version of it should be in the base (CentOS) repository as well.

Now to apply missing updates (and the updates of contribs against the new locale encoding as well):
After updating please run:
signal-event post-upgrade
signal-event reboot

Edit: Fixed typo in expand-template instruction
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 04:36:56 PM by cactus »

Offline Helgo

• +0/-0
    • home website
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »
Cactus, thanks for helping!
Something is wrong

[root@server ~]# db yum_repositories setprop base status enabled
[root@server ~]# db yum_repositories setprop updates status enabled
[root@server ~]# expand-templates /etc/yum.conf
-bash: expand-templates: command not found
[root@server ~]#

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Loading "smeserver" plugin
yum install rrdtool

Loading "fastestmirror" plugin
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Reading repository metadata in from local files
Excluding Packages from CentOS - updates
Finished
Excluding Packages from CentOS - os
Finished
Parsing package install arguments
No Match for argument: rrdtool
Nothing to do

???

Gr.
Helgo

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 04:35:43 PM »
[root@server ~]# expand-templates /etc/yum.conf
Sorry you are right I made a typo command should read:
expand-template /etc/yum.conf
I will fix my original post, just pick-up my instructions with the fixed command.

Offline Helgo

• +0/-0
    • home website
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 04:52:56 PM »
Thanks Cactus,
But still it don't work wit rrd tool

[root@server ~]# db yum_repositories setprop updates status enabled
[root@server ~]# expand-template /etc/yum.conf
[root@server ~]# yum install rrdtool
==============================================================
WARNING: Additional commands may be required after running yum
Loading "smeserver" plugin
Setting up repositories
Finished
Finished
No Match for argument: rrdtool
Nothing to do

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »
Include smecontribs ...

[root@server ~]# yum --enablerepo=smecontribs install rrdtool

Regards,
William

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2008, 05:14:05 PM »
You may need the matching perl modules as well.

[root@c3 ~]# yum --enablerepo=smecontribs install rrd*
Setting up repositories
Finished
Finished
Resolving Dependencies
---> Package rrdtool-perl.i386 0:1.2.27-3.el4 set to be updated
---> Package rrdtool.i386 0:1.2.27-3.el4 set to be updated

Dependencies Resolved

=============================================================================
 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Installing:
 rrdtool                 i386       1.2.27-3.el4     smecontribs       446 k
 rrdtool-perl            i386       1.2.27-3.el4     smecontribs        34 k

Transaction Summary
Install      2 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)
Regards,
William

Offline Helgo

• +0/-0
    • home website
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2008, 05:23:58 PM »
Yes that works,

Thanks Cactus and Willlam

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2008, 09:39:16 PM »
To summarize this thread, please read the following message before updating your server after April 19th, 2008:

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=40789.msg189173#msg189173

Offline elmarconi

• +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2008, 10:48:18 PM »
Anybody care to comment on why I get this error:

[root@fallbacksme tmp]# find /etc/e-smith/locale/ -type f | xargs -n1 iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-8 > /dev/null
iconv: illegal input sequence at position 462

Probably related to errors after uninstalling some contribs:
yum remove smeserver-mediawiki & yum remove smeserver-dirty-tools:
not well-formed (invalid token) at line 19, column 44, byte 462 at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser.pm line 187

Remaining contribs:
[root@fallbacksme tmp]# /sbin/e-smith/audittools/newrpms | grep smeserver
smeserver-sarg.noarch                    2.2.1-4.el4.sme        installed
smeserver-service_control.noarch         2.0-1                  installed
smeserver-sme7admin.noarch               1.1.0-1                installed
smeserver-tftp-server.noarch             1.0-2.el4.sme          installed

Edit: I traced it back to /etc/e-smith/locale/fr, containing the culprit.
I moved the whole tree /etc/e-smith/locale/fr as per this but it would not let me determine the panel responsible for this mess...

Any hints how to do further research?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 09:13:06 AM by elmarconi »

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2008, 11:03:05 PM »
I was lucky enough to have a server go down from a failed hard disk in the middle of all this. (Yeah Right !!)

New install from the 7.3 CD with the only contribs being SYSMON , BACKUP with DAR and FETCHMAIL.

I have a  a screwed up Server Manager Panel. Backup was the last contrib I loaded and that was where the server-manager panel screwed up. So far everything seems to be working OK tho.

Offline SuperGrover

• +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 09:48:50 AM »
Since the last update also my server manager panel is screwed up. Also the language is now Dutch (OK, I am  :P), but I prefer English. Where can I set this setting ?

Offline marsa_matruh

• +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 09:55:41 AM »
Change language in the browser settings...

Offline MAuVE

• +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 06:31:29 PM »
Since the last update also my server manager panel is screwed up. Also the language is now Dutch (OK, I am  :P), but I prefer English. Where can I set this setting ?

I am having the same problem with the Greek localization.

Instead of the left-side menu in the server-manager I get the following error message :

"Software error:
Couldn't open /home/e-smith/db/navigation/navigation.el

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (admin), giving this error message and the time and date of the error."

By changing the language in the browser settings it reverts to normal English.

Last week I did some ironing of the Greek language, but there is much more work to be done if this is tackled item by item.

A friend greek user told me that he will try doing a batch-correction of the reccuring spelling mistakes.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 06:39:15 PM by MAuVE »

Offline byte

• +2/-0
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2008, 06:53:28 PM »
I am having the same problem with the Greek localization.

Instead of the left-side menu in the server-manager I get the following error message :

"Software error:
Couldn't open /home/e-smith/db/navigation/navigation.el

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (admin), giving this error message and the time and date of the error."

By changing the language in the browser settings it reverts to normal English.

Please report bugs and potential bugs in the bug tracker. Thanks.
--[byte]--

Have you filled in a Bug Report over @ http://bugs.contribs.org ? Please don't wait to be told this way you help us to help you/others - Thanks!

Offline jpl

• +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2008, 05:19:17 PM »

I have a  a screwed up Server Manager Panel. Backup was the last contrib I loaded and that was where the server-manager panel screwed up. So far everything seems to be working OK tho.

I think the best way is to install test version of e-smith-backup which includes Backup with dar :
"yum --enablerepo=smetest update e-smith-backup" (or perhaps upload and install with --force)

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2008, 05:40:34 PM »
(or perhaps upload and install with --force)
That should not be necessary.

Offline Helgo

• +0/-0
    • home website
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2008, 10:02:34 PM »

Not on here on my server Manager, after update backup with "yum --enablerepo=smetest update e-smith-backup"

have something else?

not well-formed (invalid token) at line 10, column 59, byte 275 at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser.pm line 187ot well-formed (invalid token) at line 10, column 59, byte 275 at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser.pm line 187
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Offline jpl

• +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2008, 10:44:04 PM »
Did you launch a post-upgrade event or a navigation-conf action ?

Offline Helgo

• +0/-0
    • home website
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2008, 10:48:09 PM »
yes

Offline jpl

• +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2008, 10:58:24 PM »
And which release of e-smith-backup is installed ?
it should be 1.15.0-14

Offline Helgo

• +0/-0
    • home website
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2008, 11:02:49 PM »
Mmm.  I use this,

yum --enablerepo=smetest update e-smith-backup

Offline mercyh

• +0/-0
    • http://mercyh.org
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2008, 11:41:34 PM »
I have been trying to understand what happens when we do this:

yum --enablerepo=smetest update e-smith-backup

on a 7.3 server. I don't have a way to test as all my servers are production at this time and I use DAR2 for backup. I see a couple of possibilities.

1. Backup with DAR-panel gets updated and works correctly.
2. The original Backup or Restore-panel gets updated with the functionality of Backup with DAR.

If option #2 happens it will not fix the unsorted menu problem as the old panel stays there. You would need to check that the function you needed existed in the Backup or Restore panel and then possibly remove the Backup with DAR contrib to fix the unsorted mess. I raised a question in the bug here http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4229 about getting Backup with DAR back into the contribs repo for those using 7.3 so the single command would update that panel along with the rest of the contribs. The response was negative. I think you should raise a new bug on this specific issue as I do not think the current situation is recoverable without removing of the current contrib from your server.

WARNING this is another of my untested assumptions :?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 11:46:46 PM by mercyh »

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2008, 06:15:52 AM »
This is not particularly helpful ,  I have given up !

[root@vserver1 ~]# yum --enablerepo=smetest update e-smith-backup
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
smetest                   100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
smeaddons                 100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
updates                   100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
smeos                     100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
smeupdates                100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
Determining fastest mirrors
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================|  67 kB    00:00
sqlite cache needs updating, reading in metadata
smetest   : ################################################## 22/22
Finished
Finished
Could not find update match for e-smith-backup
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion
================================================================
No new rpms were installed. No additional commands are required.
================================================================
[root@vserver1 ~]#

Offline william_syd

• +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here.
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2008, 07:24:57 AM »
On 7.3 fully updated and no contribs this is what I see...

[root@sme ~]# yum --enablerepo=smetest update e-smith-backup
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
Finished
Finished
Resolving Dependencies
---> Package e-smith-backup.noarch 0:1.15.0-14.el4.sme set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: dar for package: e-smith-backup
---> Package dar.i386 0:2.3.6-1.el4.sme set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: libdar.so.4 for package: dar
---> Package libdar.i386 0:2.3.6-1.el4.sme set to be updated

Dependencies Resolved

Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Updating:
 e-smith-backup          noarch     1.15.0-14.el4.sme  smetest            85 k
Installing for dependencies:
 dar                     i386       2.3.6-1.el4.sme  smeupdates        594 k
 libdar                  i386       2.3.6-1.el4.sme  smeupdates        593 k

Transaction Summary
Install      2 Package(s)
Update       1 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)
Total download size: 1.2 M

Regards,
William

Offline mercyh

• +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2008, 09:08:56 PM »
William_syd,

What did you end up with on the server above? Did you get a Backup with DAR panel in server manager or did the Backup or Restore panel gain the functionality of Backup with DAR?

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2008, 01:53:16 AM »
see http://wiki.contribs.org/Talk:DAR2
your talking about two different rpms

Offline mercyh

• +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2008, 03:17:48 PM »
Snoble,

Thanks for pointing out my error :).

I actually realized they were two different contribs but did not realize that the original Backup with DAR contrib did not install a separate panel group in server-manager (only a set of sub menu options under the original backup and restore panel.) I thought that possibly the problem with those that have been unable to get an update to work from smetest repo was that the update in smetest was actually installing as a separate, new contrib instead of recognizing the old contrib and updating it, thus leaving the old contrib and translations in place.