Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Sick hard drive - can't access server-manager

Offline Ness

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tapiochre.co.uk
Sick hard drive - can't access server-manager
« on: May 03, 2008, 01:03:13 AM »
Had a call today from a client running SME 6.0. He's had a hard drive problem that left the server not serving web pages or FTP. Firewall, samba and email (both ways) running ok it seems. I could not access server-manager panel on site. When browsing to server-manager, the browser does not progress to the login screen, simply staying on the PC's defined home page (or the site that was there before trying server-manager).

SSL is running and I can access the console but, on trying to access server-manager through console, the password is requested and then the screen returns to the console menu.

Rebooted, failed in a big way.

Performed fsck -A and got many hundreds of Inode errors. After fixing them (even if I shouldn't have) the system does boot but at IMAP loading, it fails with data corruption on the master console.

Many processes then fail.

I have been able to backup all data from the 12 ibays on the system and the three user account home directories.

I am lost though on Domains settings. The customer hosts 5 web sites on this server and has a number of hostnames pointing to external IPs but, as I cannot get to server-manager to note down their configs, I can't recreate them easily.

Can anyone tell me if these settings (hostnames, domains etc) are accessible in a conf file somewhere so I can reproduce those settings on a new 7.3 load I'm going in with next week?

Chris
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:11:29 AM by Ness »
Chris Elliott - SME Server user and helper

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Sick hard drive - can't access server-manager
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 03:30:57 AM »
Ness

Look in the various db files in
/home/e-smith/db/..

Can't remember now, but that might have been on sme6 only
/home/e-smith/..

eg configuration
accounts
domains
& so on

If you are going to support sme servers, then you really need to improve your knowledge.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline Ness

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tapiochre.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 01:01:54 PM »
I'd already looked in those places Mary.

/home/e-smith/ anything yeilds no help.

I'm not "supporting SME Servers", I'm helping out a client. I intend install a new server from scratch with him - he installed his own 6.0 box 3 years ago.

Chris Elliott - SME Server user and helper

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 04:23:39 PM »
Ness

/home/e-smith/ anything yeilds no help.

Well it should, unless the db files are totally missing. You do say that some functions are running so it would be reasonable to assume the db files are still there

to see the list of databases
cd /home/e-smith
ls -al

to see the contents of the db files
do
/sbin/e-smith/db domains show
/sbin/e-smith/db hosts show
/sbin/e-smith/db networks show

etc etc
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.