Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Problems receiving email

Rob Ferguson

Problems receiving email
« on: September 03, 1999, 03:18:21 AM »
I set up e-smith server about a week ago, and everything seems to be working except e-mail.   The e-smith server is set up as grayspace.net, and I can ping it through the internet if i ping mail.grayspace.net, smtp.grayspace.net, etc.  If I send mail from my current smtp server (mail.flashcom.com) to rob@grayspace.net, the message never gets through, and I get an "undeliverable" message from flashcom.  Mail goes out fine to any other address.  If I change my SMTP server to mail.grayspace.net and send mail to rob@grayspace.net, then mail gets delivered ok, but obviously it's not going out through the internet.  Is there something special I have to do to get the POP server to receive mail from the internet?

Regards
Rob

Kim Morrison

Re: Problems receiving email
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 1999, 04:08:21 AM »
Hi Rob!  Well, your experiments so far indicate that Qmail is running - so that isn't the problem.  From here we can telnet to your http port but not to your SMTP port (port 25).  I wonder if maybe your ISP is blocking incoming connections on that port?  Let us know! Thanks for the post and good luck!  Kim

Gerald Jansen

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 1999, 08:56:26 AM »
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at malaga.firewall.janusms.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
I am having a similair problem. I can send messages. An ping my server at 207.192.255.60 However when I attempt to send an email to it I get the following:
addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

:
Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host,
it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local.
(#5.4.6)

Gerald Jansen

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 1999, 09:00:07 AM »
ping address was wrong should have been

Gerald Jansen

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 1999, 09:23:48 AM »
for get my last post. My ISP changed my site name to "firewall.janusms.com" I was using "janusms.com" So with "firewall" it works. I intend to have it changed by having the DNS entry changes.  Sorry for the bother.

Jerry

Charlie Brady

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 1999, 11:04:09 AM »
Gerald Jansen wrote:
-------------------------------
for get my last post. My ISP changed my site name to "firewall.janusms.com" I was using "janusms.com" So with "firewall" it works. I intend to have it changed by having the DNS entry changes.  Sorry for the bother.
--------------------------------

I'd suggest that you leave the DNS as is - it
makes sense - and just slightly reconfigure
qmail so that it does the right thing. As
the bounce message says, it's the "locals"
file which is not quite right. You need to
have "jamusms.com" listed in /etc/qmail/controls/locals. You might need some other changes as well.

I've just had a look at your DNS configuration. I think you will get by OK if you just reconfigure your server to be "janusms.com". If not, send me private email and I'll talk you through it.