Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

PC Hostname to pc-00xx issue

Offline lilkev

• +0/-0
PC Hostname to pc-00xx issue
« on: July 25, 2008, 01:31:42 AM »
Hi All

I have had a look through the forums but cant find my answer so I thought I would start a Post for anyone else looking for it.

Is there a setting or a contrib that can be installed that will make smeserver use the hostname of the connected pc's in its DSN rather than pc-00xx.domain.com? I  have a user who watches his SARG reports like a hawk to see what his staff are up to but he wants to be able to identify the pc's by the hostname (Which is printed on the outside of the box)

Way way back (SME 6.something I think) there was a contrib you could install to make this work but I cant seem to locate it anywhere.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

By The Way, Massive congrats to the SME Team, what an amazing product! I have been converting users to it by the truckload! I install VMWare, put SCALIX in a VM as an Exchange replacment and viola! a complete replacement to MS Small Business Server all for 0$

Offline versa

• +0/-0
Re: PC Hostname to pc-00xx issue
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 01:59:09 AM »
I know there has been a few topics on this here is one
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=36102.0

I dont think there is an easy fix for it

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
Re: PC Hostname to pc-00xx issue
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 03:55:49 PM »
If the office is small enough you may get what you want by creating DHCP reservations for the local workstations using the 'hosts' panel in server-manager.

Alternatively, add a label to each system saying which pc-xxxxx it is...  SME will give each system the same IP address (and hence the same name) until you change the NIC card or lose your dhcpd.leases database...